Double beard and dog

Kizmo

Well, my buddies and I headed up to the Ky/Tenn border this weekend for 3 days of turkey hunting. On the second morning, I get dropped out on a pasture at the base of a hill that has a food plot at its base. Of course, the only gobbler I heard was WAAAAAAAY up that hill, so I set my wobbly flatlander legs to walking. I set up about 200 yards from him, right over a little rise, and he came chargin'. When he was just out of sight over that rise, he starts putting and takes to the air, landing in a tree about 55 yards away. While I was pondering this, I hear leaves rustling right beside me and a loud THUMP as a coyote bounces off my Avian Zink decoy less than 8 yards away. I shouldered my BPS 3 1/2" 12 gauge and let him have it, dropping him. When he tried to pick his head up, I let him have it again.

IMAG0266.jpg

Even though I couldn't see him at this point, and despite all the banging and shucking, I knew the gobbler was still somewhere in that tree 55 yards away. I reloaded and sat there still as a stone for about 20 minutes, at which time he gobbled at a distant rooster. For the next 45 minutes or so, I proceeded to call while trying to locate him in the trees while he gobbled. Finally, I spotted him on a low limb straight out in front of me. I saw he had a double beard and got really interested at that point. After another 15 minutes, he pitched down into the drain in front of me out of sight but kept gobbling. Shortly thereafter, a jake comes sneaking in to my left, pulling the gobbler with him. The jake didn't like my decoy, which the coyote had left pointing skyward, and started to leave. The jake played Secret Service agent for awhile with the me and the gobbler (stepping in front of my gun, not bringing in Colombian hookers). He finally stepped away and I got the gobbler at 17 yards, with a 10" and 7" double beard, 1 1/8" spurs, 20.2 lbs.

IMAG0281.jpg

Doublebearddog.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job on the Turkey. I gotta tell you our Canadian Coyotes are a lot prettier than that one. He looks like he has the market cornered on ugly. There should be few more turkeys around with him dead,
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 220_SwiftWell now,it just doesn't get any better than that!!!!!!!

Actually, it does. Kiz Jr. called us up a double in Georgia the weekend before.

AlanandDadsdouble.jpg

Redfrog-he was just about the ugliest yote I'd ever seen. I've seen y'all hunting them yotes up there in Canada on video. They are JUST ABOUT too pretty to shoot.

Tony-thanks, buddy. I'll give you a shout.

That is the total Zhizzmo Kizmo. With that kind of luck running around in your family maybe you should buy a lottery ticket this week.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioThat would be just about the greatest morning a man could have.

Funny thing, you're right. After my second shot on the yote, when I realized that gobbler was still in the tree, I said to myself "If you pull this off, it'll be the best turkey hunt you've ever had in your life." When I finally spotted him in the tree, I thought about sneaking down and plugging him, but I wasn't sure if that was legal in Ky, and, the way he was gobbling, I thought I might could still call him up. The jake sure helped speed the process up...my butt was about to kill me.

Back