Need a .223 40gr V-max load

I'm shooting a 50gr Vmax using 39.5 grains of Benchmark and having some great groups. I shot the 40's, but settled on 50's as my load of choice.
Hope this helps a bit

It is doubtful that any suggested load will perform the same in your gun.

Here is some data from the Hornady manual for 40g V-Max

H-335 27.4g 3700fps MAX
TAC 27.5g 3700fps MAX
A-2460 27.8g 3800fps MAX

Originally Posted By: astringLooking for a good accurate load for my 700.

Imr-4198 is my favorite for this bullet case combo [22.0gr], but IMR-8208, at about 27.0gr should work well. Does for me, and temp stable as well.

Originally Posted By: trickrickI'm shooting a 50gr Vmax using 39.5 grains of Benchmark and having some great groups. I shot the 40's, but settled on 50's as my load of choice.
Hope this helps a bit

This does not help. What you posted for the .223 with 50gr bullet is impossible, and dangerous. 26.5gr is listed max with Benchmark, with Hogdgon's web site.

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: trickrickI'm shooting a 50gr Vmax using 39.5 grains of Benchmark and having some great groups. I shot the 40's, but settled on 50's as my load of choice.
Hope this helps a bit

This does not help. What you posted for the .223 with 50gr bullet is impossible, and dangerous. 26.5gr is listed max with Benchmark, with Hogdgon's web site.

Right on Smokeless, this is exactly why you never try somebody else loads. Do your on load development and use the manuals for your data. There are no short cuts.

Last edited:
Good luck getting 39 gr of anything into a 223 case.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Good luck getting 39 gr of anything into a 223 case.
grin.gif

That's closer to my 243 load.
crazy.gif

Hodgdon has a great site for load data for all kinds of calibers and bullet weights.
Hodgdon Data center

Originally Posted By: trickrickI'm shooting a 50gr Vmax using 39.5 grains of Benchmark and having some great groups. I shot the 40's, but settled on 50's as my load of choice.
Hope this helps a bit

How do you get 39.5 grains of BenchMark in a 223 case???????????????
ohmy.gif

Originally Posted By: Billsauk40 gr vmax
AA2230 27.2 grains
CCI primer

work up to this load but it is extremely accurate in my rifle.

Works great for me too.
thumbup.gif

26.5 gr TAC with 40 gr Vmax, fed match primer, worked great in my AR. no pressure signs even on 100 plus degree days. Experiment to see what works in your rifle, stay safe and have fun. On Hodgdons web site you can download a PDF that shows burn rates and recipes. I have been working a 53 gr Vmax load with their new CFE 223 and the results have been awesome!!

Back