Reloading 22 hornet question

PredatorHunter89

Just picked up a 22 hornet an want to start reloading it. Need help on powder and what bullet to use. Also what diameter .223 or .224.

Last edited:
Anything in the 4227 H4198 range.

1680 is the top of the crop but check into Ramshot Enforcer or 300MP, with the 300MP in the PS Shooting a few months ago they were getting 3500fps with it. Smoking! Adam

Hodgdon's Lil Gun with 40 grain or lighter bullets and H110 with heavier bullets is about as good as it gets. Edit to add; Get a 17 caliber drop tube as it will make filling cases much easier.

Last edited:
40 grn. Vmax is a great bullet for the hornet. Midway used to or may still sell the 34 or 36 grain HP (varmint nightmare) which shot well out of both of mine also. Very affordable bullets for plinking. Sierra's 40 grn. Hornet bullet is another good choice.

I use either the 35 gr V-Max or 40 Sierra HP with Lil-Gun powder and a CCI 500 small pistol primer.

Work up your load 1/10th grain at a time until you find the sweet spot.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43Hodgdon's Lil Gun with 40 grain or lighter bullets and H110 with heavier bullets is about as good as it gets. Edit to add; Get a 17 caliber drop tube as it will make filling cases much easier.

My experience is backward to that. I got better accuracy and velocity with Lil Gun with 40grain plus bullets. I am still working though. Currently trying Midsouth Nightmare 34 grain HPs and Lil Gun. Going to try the Lee Factory Crimp die for greater consistency. Probably need to try another primer also.

Yeah I would agree with you . I think it was a brain malfunction. I was just going to make a correction. You can't get enough Lil Gun in the case to get the velocity out of the light bullets. On another note, if you like light bullets in the hornet , you should try the Calhoon 30 grain double hollow points, you can get around 3400 fps out of them.

Lilgun powder and a small pistol primer is the place to start.

In general, Lilgun gives lower SD's as the bullet weight increases. In general, Lilgun gives very high velocity and very low pressures. In general, using Lilgun, start with a 45gr bullet and go up.

Great cartridge, no recoil, quiet, decent power.

Most people get in trouble with the Hornet trying to make it into a .223. It is what it is, a weak old case, so save yourself trouble and don't push it hard. You'll save your brass.

Mostly I shoot the Sierra 40 grain hornet bullet with Lil Gun and CCI 400 primers, I have tried the small pistol primers and couldn't see any advantage.

Push them too hard and you will be buying new brass. The primer pockets give out quickly at velocities over 3,000. The 40 gr Blitzking or VMax over 10.5 gr of H110 gives plenty of velocity (about 2700/2800) for knocking down Yotes.

Tom

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTPush them too hard and you will be buying new brass. The primer pockets give out quickly at velocities over 3,000. The 40 gr Blitzking or VMax over 10.5 gr of H110 gives plenty of velocity (about 2700/2800) for knocking down Yotes.

Tom

Tom,

According to Hodgdon, Lilgun will increase velocities by 100fps, or more, and reduce pressures by 25%. I get excellent brass life with Lilgun.

I'm at 13.2 of Lil'Gun with both the Midway 34gr Dogtown hollow point as well as with Hornady's 35gr V-MAX bullets. I use Rem 6 1/2 small rifle primers in mine. I varied my lengths to make these two line up together for field testing on ground-hogs. They both hit hard, but I think I still like the V-MAX a little better for maximum distance shots. My magazine would have to be modified to shoot the 40 V-MAX's which I love and shoot exclusively now in my .222 rem, either that or just stuff them in to the point where they look like they are going to drop through into the case. I bought some pistol primers but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. I seriously doubt they will do much to improve the groups I am getting now with this rifle though - real pleased w/LilGun.

If your Hornet is a newer one the 224 bullet will work fine. Mine is a 1950's gun and I shoot 224's in it with no pressure signs. Savage 219 (pre serial #)

said it before say it again LOVE the hornet just plain fun to shoot and a awsome little round ( within limits ) little gun a 40 GR v-max and small rifle primer you are in there watch crows explode and yotes crumble

Back