Honest Opinion on the Heritage Rough Rider .22/.22mag

EasternPredHunter

-What is your honest opinion on the Heritage Rough Rider?
-what kind of groups could I expect with proper ammo at 25 yards on sandbags with optics on the gun?
- What would you rate the gun out of 10?
-Reason you did/didn't like it?

Pictures of you gun and groups are appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Mine didn't shoot to point of aim with any ammo (22 mag and LR).
It actually shot about 18 inches high at 25 yards with no discernable group.

The cylinder timing was off by a hair and lead would accumulate between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

I sold it with full disclosure for $75 and was happy to be rid of it.

I would rate it at about a 1. That's being generous.

Im with crazy horse on this one,,,never really tried to shoot for groups with it.

The 22 mag cylinder wont even work anymore,,,and when it did the timing and slop,,was borderline dangerous.

Basically soft/cheap metals...and even cheaper bluing.

Now with all that said..i do pack it on occasion,,,loaded w/rat shot for snakes.

I don't have one, but last year I handled 15 accidental shooting. If you are going to drink and try to impress your friends with your ability to spin this particular revolver around your finger, UNLOAD IT. Out of the 15 incidents 9 of them were with a Rough Rider.

I had one when I was much younger. I wouldn't have one if it was free. If you want this combo, look at the Ruger single six. There are tons of them out there, many in like new condition. Much better quality. The one I had (Heritage) was the only gun I have ever had that lodged a bullet in the barrel. Luckily it sounded way off when I fired and I didn't send another one down the tube. I didn't sell mine, I cut it up with a torch and threw it in the scrap pile.

Mine goes bang whenever I pull the trigger, that's about it. I use mine as a "tractor" gun just so I don't mess up my good guns. Works for what I use it for, nothing to brag about.

I've never had any trouble with mine. I've also never shot groups with it but I can hit coons from a few feet away when in a trap. I wouldn't buy one and plan on it being a highly accurate pistol.

By "Tractor Gun" are you implying that the only thing you can hit with it is a "Tractor"?
grin.gif

My honest opinion is that you'd be better off saving a little more money for a Ruger, but saying a Heritage isn't in the same league with a Colt Python will get you flamed on a couple forums I hang out at!

I never grouped mine. I bought a 6" barreled nickel Heritage at Cabelas for $100. It was bought with the intent of carrying it when checking traps and using it as a point blank finisher. It's done the job quite well so far.

I looked at a few of them new, but ended up spending the few extra bucks and picking up the Beretta Neos instead. I couldn't get over the fact the Heritage was single action. Glad I bought the Beretta, been super accurate, semi-auto and dead reliable.

Nothing I hate worse than save your money and buy something else responces. A "decent" (key word) gun in hand today is better than a little better gun 6 months from now in some cases. While they are 10 times the gun the Single Six's are substantially more money. But is the HEritage a "decent" gun? Personally, I don't like the Heritages at the prices they ask for them today. Back when they were $100-$125 they may have been "OK" but not at current prices of $150-$200 I see them at today and I WOULD NOT buy a used one.

Closer priced and better alternatives include used H&R revolvers and semi autos like the S&W 22A and Ruger's 22/45. Heck even the butt ugly Berreta Neos would be a better value.

CB

maybe your sight was bent mine shoots slightly high but no anymore than like an inch. anyone who downs cheap guns should give everyone else money to buy the supposed good ones.like hi point how many companys give u a lifetime warrenty no questions asked

My dad has one. At 25 yards its minute of popcan accurate. I have no idea what kind of groups you would get out of it though.

Back