Reid: Save the Postal Service, seniors depend on junk mail

hm1996

Staff member
What an idiot! What the h*** does Harry Reid know about the "real world". At 75 years of age, I think I qualify as a senior citizen and I would be very happy if I never receive a piece of junk mail again, thank you. Don't do me any favors, senator!

With the likes of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi leading the Demorat pack, I guess we can only expect such drivel.

Quote:
Reid: Save the Postal Service, seniors depend on junk mail
Published April 19, 2012
FoxNews.com
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is making a top-to-bottom case for prompt passage of a Postal Service reform bill that if defeated, he says, would deny seniors their beloved junk mail.

“I’ll come home tonight here to my home in Washington and there’ll be some mail there,” the Nevada Democrat said Wednesday on the Senate floor. “A lot of it is what some people refer to as junk mail, but for the people who are sending that mail, it’s very important.

“And when talking about seniors, seniors love getting junk mail. It’s sometimes their only way of communicating or feeling like they’re part of the real world.”

The bipartisan bill includes restructuring pension plans for Postal Service employees, and introduces new technology and other efforts meant to help the agency stop losing money.

Reid said 30,000 post offices across the country will close if the legislation fails, many in rural regions without Internet service and where many seniors still rely on the mail service to deliver their medicine. He is expected to attempt to get a vote on the issue within the next couple of weeks.

“Elderly Americans, more than anyone in America, rely on the United States Postal Service, but unless we act quickly, thousands of post offices ... will close.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/...s#ixzz1sXRvGiwh

Regards,
hm

Sounds like Harry's been getting his medicine in the mail, if you ask me!! There is no place on this earth that you can't get internet service, IF you want it!

As for seniors depending on the mail to deliver their medicine... Is that even legal? How can the pharmacy dispense medication not knowing if the intended recipient is in fact receiving it?? The grandkids could be snorting, the neighbor could be highjacking your meds; I mean, seriously anyone could have access to your medication if it was left in the box.

I recieve 3 prescriptions from VA by mail every 90 days and have several friends that do so from commercial pharmacies and so far have had no issues w/pilferage nor have I heard of it being a problem.

I missed his brief mention of the meds; it was the “And when talking about seniors, seniors love getting junk mail. Its sometimes their only way of communicating or feeling like they’re part of the real world.” that rattled my cage. Still would like to know what that dumb@@@ knows about the real world.

Regards,
hm

Quote:As for seniors depending on the mail to deliver their medicine... Is that even legal? How can the pharmacy dispense medication not knowing if the intended recipient is in fact receiving it??...Rocky, I've been getting mine through the mail for years and never had a problem...Of course, when I order a refill (90 days), I kind of know what to expect for a delivery date (2 days) and am watching for it...

Besides, a lot of the medications have fillers that lend themselves not to be abused by others...I know a lady that tried to commit suicide with a large dose of muscle relaxers and cheap wine...She was violently sick to her stomach for days...

As long as the drug company verifies the prescription authorization by the doctor and has a valid address, it is legal and much more convenient than having to get out in inclement weather, stand in a waiting line, in the middle of other people that are usually ill of some sorts, and then being told that your order hasn't been filled yet...

OK... I'll take you guys word for it! I'm kinda out of touch on that prescription thingy. Haven't seen a doctor for anything (aside from a DOT Physical) since fall of '97, haven't had a prescription for anything since '94 - '95 as best I recall. My last 2 - 3 visits to the doctor were to the chiropractor, then I invested in a gas auger for ice fishing and the problem went away.

Reid is correct about somethings, but the junk mail is BS. The 30,000 post offices that USPS wants to close is an issue that he along with all of Congress has created a nightmare. In some places the only occupied building is the post office in the community, manned by one person. They may see a hand full of customers a day. Those customers get rural route service, where they can buy stamps, money orders, etc.. With utilities, salary, upkeep etc., the cost of these places are around $50,000 a year, when they might only sell $5000 a year in postal goods.

When the USPS tries to close these post offices, the public out cry gets Congress involved to save their post office. In reverse, Congress mandates the USPS operate as efficiently as they can.

In New Mexico, we drive by about 5 post offices in about a 20 mile stretch. Rarely see a vehicle at either one of them. All of the people get rural delivery everyday. All of the people that live in that area have to go to the closest town to buy groceries, clothing, and all supplies. When they are in those towns there are post offices that can supply their postal needs. $250,000 spent annually to keep their post office open because Congress won't let USPS close them.

Back