Riddle me this one... 6MM Remington Issue

SShooterZ

Gun is a Ruger M77 in 6MM. Tang Safety model, heavy barrel.

Brass is assorted R&P and Winchester that came with the gun. Don't know the reloading history on it but doesn't look like its been reloaded too many times. In fact most of it looked like factory original single shot brass.

Currently in the process of working up some loads. Noticed when after being fired that when I went to FL resize, that I [beeep] near had to lean on the handle of my RockChucker to get the brass to resize. Much more effort than I have ever had to do reloading before. Also, large bulge out at the case head area. So much that I am afraid of getting case head failure.

I've tried re-sizing with both an RCBS FL Die and a Bonanza FL Die, same result. Also noticed some brass shavings at the base of the die when I remove it from the press.

Loads were starting to middle of the road using 80 Grain Sierra HPBT and another was using Hornady 87 Grain V-Max. Powder is IMR-4350 and CCI BR-2 Primers.

I can't tell if I have a headspace issue or just some weak, old brass. I do have some new brass that I am going to try for my next shooting session but this one has me a bit baffled.

This is the closest thing I can find online to what the post-fired brass looks like. (NOT MY ACTUAL BRASS)

IMG_2437.jpg

Originally Posted By: SShooterZGun is a Ruger M77 in 6MM. Tang Safety model, heavy barrel.

Brass is assorted R&P and Winchester that came with the gun. Don't know the reloading history on it but doesn't look like its been reloaded too many times. In fact most of it looked like factory original single shot brass.

Currently in the process of working up some loads. Noticed when after being fired that when I went to FL resize, that I [beeep] near had to lean on the handle of my RockChucker to get the brass to resize. Much more effort than I have ever had to do reloading before. Also, large bulge out at the case head area. So much that I am afraid of getting case head failure.

I've tried re-sizing with both an RCBS FL Die and a Bonanza FL Die, same result. Also noticed some brass shavings at the base of the die when I remove it from the press.

Loads were starting to middle of the road using 80 Grain Sierra HPBT and another was using Hornady 87 Grain V-Max. Powder is IMR-4350 and CCI BR-2 Primers.

I can't tell if I have a headspace issue or just some weak, old brass. I do have some new brass that I am going to try for my next shooting session but this one has me a bit baffled.

This is the closest thing I can find online to what the post-fired brass looks like. (NOT MY ACTUAL BRASS)

IMG_2437.jpg

You have a very oversize chamber.

There is nothing you can do - you might send the gun to Ruger with some fired cases - they should rebarrel it for you.

Originally Posted By: SShooterZ

"This is the closest thing I can find online to what the post-fired brass looks like. (NOT MY ACTUAL BRASS)"

IMG_2437.jpg

I just caught this part.

First, it is not a good idea to show other brass to illustrate a problem - you might have a different problem than he does...

... PLEASE take pictures of YOUR FIRED BRASS.

Originally Posted By: featherbombOr, if it's an old enough one without Rugers jibberish written all over the barrel you want to keep, you could have it set back.

I tell ya, with some of the groups I've had even with this brass problem, I would aweful hesitant to replace the barrel. I definitely think I would go this route.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter... PLEASE take pictures of YOUR FIRED BRASS.

Fair enough, here they are.

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

2-3 thread set back will clean that egg shaped chamber up. That rifle should never have made it past QC after test firing. But, to err is human and we don't live in a perfect world. Hope she keeps shooting well after you get her straightened out. Ruger does a nice job (in my experience) of rifling their barrels, they seem to clean easily and patches seem to push through very consistently and smoothly.

I have shot the barrels out of several tang safety 77's in 6 Rem.

I have never seen a chamber that huge in my life, looks like the case might rupture....I don't like it one bit.

I would not have a ruger barrel made during that time period set back, put on a new barrel.

You might send pics to ruger and see that they might do. Stainless barrels from ruger run about $180 installed, and the barrels are darn good.

Pretty common oversize factory chamber. They start their reamers out at the max dimensions so they can be resharpened many times. They also do not use floating reamer holders so a chamber can be cut larger than the reamer.

Jack

I don't care how it shoots as-is. I would certainly be talking to a smith. IDK of there is enough there to set-back. But is only a matter of time before you get a ruptured case and/or a wrecked gun.

You are not going to get a ruptured case or a wrecked gun, but you WILL have a very hard time reloading the cases, and, well, it just looks like schit.

Most rifles are NOT proof fired these days, so no one at Ruger ever saw that problem.

Don't waste your money setting it back and rechambering it.

That is a ~$300 job if done right, and if you are going to spend that much money, then go for a GOOD replacement barrel, and send the barreled action to Douglas, for not much more... or one of the top end guys like Kreiger, Shilen, etc, if you are feelin' spendy.

I have a wildcat chamber where the gunsmith used a wildcat of the 243 Win (steeper shoulder and longer neck) but chambered it short so I could use 22-250 brass, and have basically a 6XC chamber. My Winchester 22-250 brass does a little of that. When I measured my Factory Win 22-250 brass, it has a smaller diameter at the base than Factory 243 Win brass. About .005", I hear Lapua 22-250 brass is closer to 243 brass at the diameter at the base.

Maybe I just got some less than steller brass in a particular lot, I dunno.

But with yours, if it bothers you, I would send it back to Ruger, or have a smith set it back if cheap enough, or rebarrel.

I would base my decision on a few factors. You stated you are getting groups you are quite satisfied with. (reason #1 to keep said barrel) You mentioned a tang safety which is an early model 77. If it doesn't have all the warning label crap stamped on the barrel this is reason #2 to keep it. What stage of life is the barrel in as far as round count? If it's low #'s this would be another reason to consider a set back.

Prices vary substantially from a geographical standpoint for gunsmithing services. I know in my locale I could get this job done for $100-$125. On the other side of the coin lies the premium aftermarket barrel. I can't say that I have owned one I wasn't happy with. I would never steer anyone away from a quality tube. The downside is you are not going to get one purchased and installed for less than $500.00. (decisions, decisions, decisions
grin.gif
)

I can tell you that the rounds extract without issue and that the lower end of the ladder, the primers look like expected, and higher end of the ladder, the same. Never went near max loads.

Has anyone heard of Ruger setting back a barrel and sending it out? I would hate to dump money into it for no reason yet, I agree with the prior that it is a classic M77 and I really don't want to lose the gun.

Aye-Aye, what a PITA.
smile.gif

And I don't think it was rechambered as this brass is what came with the gun from the seller. It also has the "6MM" on the side of the barrel like I've seen on similar guns. I think some of the guys hit it here right on the head, sloppy/enlarged chamber.

As a side note, I appreciate all the info and suggestions/advice. Truly helps out a lot.

Originally Posted By: SShooterZI can tell you that the rounds extract without issue and that the lower end of the ladder, the primers look like expected, and higher end of the ladder, the same. Never went near max loads.

Has anyone heard of Ruger setting back a barrel and sending it out? I would hate to dump money into it for no reason yet, I agree with the prior that it is a classic M77 and I really don't want to lose the gun.

Aye-Aye, what a PITA.
smile.gif

And I don't think it was rechambered as this brass is what came with the gun from the seller. It also has the "6MM" on the side of the barrel like I've seen on similar guns. I think some of the guys hit it here right on the head, sloppy/enlarged chamber.

As a side note, I appreciate all the info and suggestions/advice. Truly helps out a lot.

Ruger will absolutely NOT set back and re-chamber the barrel - they will fit a new one, or more likely, just replace the whole rifle.

Originally Posted By: featherbombOr, if it's an old enough one without Rugers jibberish written all over the barrel you want to keep, you could have it set back.
Not sure that is possable with a Ruger. If you wonder why; the front action bolt screws into the barrel and it has to stay at a certain angle to do that. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Guess I better go ask someone that knows more than I do.

Quote:Not sure that is possable with a Ruger. If you wonder why; the front action bolt screws into the barrel and it has to stay at a certain angle to do that. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Guess I better go ask someone that knows more than I do.

The front action bolt screws into the action, not the barrel.

Load up your rifle and cases and take it to a gunsmith. He'll tell you what your options are. I would screw a new barrel on, with a slightly faster twist for heavier bullets, but that's me. You will end up ahead in the long run. Why not Ackley Improve it... even better.

Back