Vortex Viper HD vs. Zeiss Conquest

cayotehunter

Hey guys,
Ive been researching for a new pair of binos to upgrade from my Leupold acadias. $700 is the top end of my budget. I think Ive narrowed it down to either the Vortex Viper HD or Zeiss Conquest 10x30.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Optics/Binoculars%7C/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104217480/Zeiss-Conquest-Binoculars/734858.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104752080%3Bcat104217480

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Optics/Binoculars%7C/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104217480/Vortex-Viper-HD-Binoculars/1213648.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104791680%3Bcat104752080%3Bcat104217480

They both have decent reviews but I wanted to hear from you guys on what you think about these binos and which one might suit me best. Most of hunting is high country spot and stalk. Does the 30mm objective on the Zeiss make any difference from the 42mm? What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with either of these binos? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was in you situation towards the end of Feb. I was considering swaro, zeiss, vortex, sightron, and leupold.

I had the second from the top sightron, which I loved glass wise but I didn't like some of the features. They had pull out eye cups rather than twist outs.

one buddy has 10x42 swaro's and another has 10x42 zeiss. Both are great but the swaro's are better in brightness, contrast, and clarity.

I had decided to get the sightron LR's(their top of the line) and then saw a sale online.

I ended up ordering these: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/steiner.pl?page=steiner250

I took a chance because of all the great things I had heard and the rediculous sale camera land ny was having.

End of story I got the steiner's and I do not regret it at all. I compared them side by side at the same time with swaro's and zeiss. They were brighter and had better clarity than the zeiss. They were ever bit as clear as the swaro's but not quite as bright. For the money I could not be happier.

I personally prefer 42mm for the larger FOV but if weight is a serious concern I would consider the 30's.

In my opinion, you cant go wrong with any of them you or I have mentioned. Get the ones you like the best, and you eyes like the best. Just thought I would share a little knowledge because being stuck in your boat sucks!! Goodluck with your purchase and let us all know what way you go!

VM

Before buying, I would look at the Bushnell Legend Ultra HDs. For ~$300, they are VERY nice binos. I have an older pair of Legends, and like them real well. I think you'd be pleasantly suprised and still have a couple hundred bucks in your pocket...

I have a pair of Viper HD 10x42 and they are stellar! Great glass for the money, and the best warrenty fo any comapany on the market! Zeiss is great too. I would love Swaros but until i save up enough I am not complaining one bit about my Vipers.

Coyotehunter -

My buddy was in the same problem that you are. I have a local Cabelas and went and looked at all of the bino's that they had $400.00 - $2,000.00. What I came away with was

for MY eyes the Vortex Viper HD or Cabelas Euro HD (Meopta) were the best bang for your buck Bino's out there. I don't remember if I looked through the zeiss conquest or not (probably not because I don't remember them) but I have no problem recommending the Viper HD. My buddy is a wildlife biologist in Idaho and he has been impressed with the glass as well as the price.

I have the viper hd binos in 10x42 and love them. They put my older wind rivers to shame in low light situations. I would buy them again in a heart beat.

Back