.204 39 gr blitz king load data

I posted a thread with a couple different loads (Varget and TAC powder) awhile back.

.204 range report

This is out of an AR with a 24" Shilen 1:9 twist barrel with a 10x scope from a bench/sandbag front rest. You'd might do better with a bolt rifle as far as accuracy since you might not be limited to mag. length of 2.250", or so.

-S

Well I commend you for putting in a good effort looking for it.

I would like to use it for coyotes and p dog hunting. I figured it would be a good round for p dogs because of its high BC knowning that chances of having perfect conditions are rare.

I was surprised to see BC change drastically by the speed, though.

From Sierra Infinity software for 39 gr. Sierra BK's:

Ballistic Coefficients to Velocity Bounds.
1. 0.287 at 3600 fps. and above.
2. 0.270 from 3400 to 3600 fps.
3. 0.255 from to 3400 fps.
4. 0.236 from 2300 to fps.
5. 0.180 at 2300 fps. and below.

So, I don't have a chrony yet. But, the Hornady Manual says 3600-3700 feet per second with those loads with a Vmax. But, I've heard the book is often way off. So, you just never know until you try a chrony with your ammo.

The other thing is, if you used those coeff. to calculate a drop vs. a different bullet, it's really not that big of a deal as far it's only few inches difference until you get way out there. It's about 5" in the graph below, at 600 Yards between a SBK and a 40 gr. Vmax. After all, your bullet isn't staying at that 3600 fps for very long. Starting at 3600 fps, the Sierra software thinks the Vmax has less drop.

Who knows. Montana in May will be the test, for me.

Or, click this link for a bigger version.

204_trajectory.jpg

-S

Last edited:
Now I could be completely but I would that any bullet that looses velocity it's BC drops as well. I'm sure on of the more knowledgable members will chime in and correct me or add upon this.

For me I am comparing the 35 gr Berger to a 39 gr BK so there is a big difference especially in wind drift even if the velocity is 200 fps slower than what I'm shooting my 35 gr Berger.

boisblancboy, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 39 sbk for your intended use. They do have the best bc for bullets that can shoot in the 1x12 twist. Also you won't have any problem launching them between 3,700 and 3,800 fps to be above the listed bc.

Silverfox encouraged me to try them. With reasonable care in shot placement they will kill coyotes like Thor's hammer and make pudding out of pd's. Maybe he'll see this and respond, but in case he doesn't, he always used 35 bergers for coyotes and the 39 sbk for pds, but had to resight his rifle since the two bullets didn't shoot to the same poa. Then one year he didn't have time to resight and just went with the 39 sbks for the coyotes, with good success.

Anyway, he knows a lot more about it than I do, so I went with his suggestion. It gives a good long range load for either species.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I like the SBK's for targets, so far. In .204:

•Ballistic Coefficient: 0.176 for 35 gr. Bergers
•Ballistic Coefficient: 0.275 for 40 gr. V-Max

I found this online, without any indication of how it drops by speed. I'm not at home, so I can't check Sierra's software as to how the BC drops with a drop in speed. Or, haven't checked how each bullet "bucks the wind"/drift, etc.

But, I guess my point still stands, between any polymer tipped bullet, I'm thinking the BC isn't going to amount to much difference in drift/drop/whatever until you get 100's of YDs away. Sure, 5" inches is a miss on a prarie dog at 600 YDs, but it probably isn't the bullets fault at that point. *wink*

Another good link I've found is at 6mmbr.com with some BC's, drop, drift charts, etc. at the bottom of the article. Shows a different BC for the Bergers than above.

-S

Last edited:
Yeah that's my plan for the most part, 35's for yotes and 39's for dogs. But I won't be afraid to shoot either with either round.

As far as resighting with the scope I have I with just be sure to compensate the correct amount of clicks to get sighted in for 100 yards. I do have tactical turrets which makes it easy.

Back