speaking of polymer lowers...

xhairs1970

Anyone here ever have any troubles with their polymer style AR lowers or know of anybody that has had any issues with one?
I read a lot of negative comments from people about this style of lower receivers.
I have a PlumCrazy with a 16" RRA upper that I gave to my son for his birthday and couldn't be happier with the performance of this set up.
I put a new Redfield Revolution in 2x7 with a rock river mount ( that I bought form a member here, thanks again) that is similar in design to the burris PEPR and this little light weight rig is sweet.
He is 14 but sort of small for his age and this combination is working out great for him.
He scored his first Coyote this past winter with it and so far we have put close to 1,500 rounds (mostly handloads) down the tube with no problems at all. I can't see any cracking or flaws in the lower anywhere and it comes apart and goes back together just fine.
The trigger set up is extremely smooth, breaks at just over 5lbs and has no creep and very minimal over travel.

I have a couple of stripped lowers to put together but am thinking of leaving them new in their boxes for now and seriously considering getting another one of these for myself.

So what do you guy's think?
Any thoughts on this??
xhairs1970

They folks with negative comments mostly,,dont own one.

Other than slinging a couple take down pin detents,,i love mine.

X

Broke the front end off the trigger on my PC lower after a couple hundred rounds. Not a big deal because I wanted to replace anyway and did with a RRA 2 stage. Others told me to send it back but I'm happy with it otherwise,started with a 5.56 upper, now a 6.8 and working great. I'm looking to probably pick up another or maybe try a New Frontier.

The last gunshow I went to, there were new Aluminum lowers from $60 on up. Pretty cheep for Mega and I think DPMS. I bought one and a friend bought two or three.

I have heard too many negatives about polymer lowers several years back and have been gun shy of them.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiThe last gunshow I went to, there were new Aluminum lowers from $60 on up. Pretty cheep for Mega and I think DPMS. I bought one and a friend bought two or three.

I have heard too many negatives about polymer lowers several years back and have been gun shy of them.

So in other words hearsay, when this guy asked for people with experience? No offense, but maybe you try a plum crazy or one of the others lowers out and if it breaks they have a real solid warranty never heard anyone complain about the warranty.

I've shot a Plum Crazy lower and it shoot pretty good. The trigger was light, but I am not all that used to double stage triggers so it seemed strange to me. After I got used to the trigger it shot like a super light weight AR.

we broke a couple of Carbon 15 lowers made by Bushmaster at the range within about 6 months. I have not messed with any of the PC or NFA lowers. I guess it all depends what you are going to do with them. If I was going to be beating the crap of your rig, I would stay away from plastic lowers. Again this is just my 2 cents and I am experience is just with the Bushmaster band.

Agree w/tactical on this one,,would not try to breach a door with the buttstock,,or walk up it, like its a ladder.

But..if you are using it to hunt with,,or truck gun even...itll be fine.

X

Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiThe last gunshow I went to, there were new Aluminum lowers from $60 on up. Pretty cheep for Mega and I think DPMS. I bought one and a friend bought two or three.

So in other words hearsay, when this guy asked for people with experience? No offense, but maybe you try a plum crazy or one of the others lowers out and if it breaks they have a real solid warranty never heard anyone complain about the warranty.

I've shot a Plum Crazy lower and it shoot pretty good. The trigger was light, but I am not all that used to double stage triggers so it seemed strange to me. After I got used to the trigger it shot like a super light weight AR.

Yep, hearsay. I made it clear and never lead anyone to believe otherwise.

Plum crazy may be the next best thing to sliced bread. Maybe all the custom AR builders will use them now over Aluminum lowers? Will they accept all makes of triggers like the Aluminum lowers will?

They are not without disadvantages, the price and weight are the big advantages...last year when i could build complete aluminum lowers for 115.00,i bought them instead of plum crazies...why?..re-sale.

PROS:
Price
Trigger
weight.

Cons
re-sale
Trigger guard=fixed
take-down pins/detent.

Aftermarket triggers work in em,,but i have heard some triggers bottom out in the trigger guard.

X

I have had the PC and just bought two of the NFA for 99.00 each, love the 4.5 lb trigger on the NFA. Just my 2 cent worth. NFA has the torture test on their web-site if you want to check it out, they test it against a forged aluminum. Again I guess it's a matter of preference, but I also have a DB9 polymer pistol that I love and carry all the time.

Originally Posted By: coyotexThey are not without disadvantages, the price and weight are the big advantages...last year when i could build complete aluminum lowers for 115.00,i bought them instead of plum crazies...why?..re-sale.

PROS:
Price
Trigger
weight.

Cons
re-sale
Trigger guard=fixed
take-down pins/detent.

Aftermarket triggers work in em,,but i have heard some triggers bottom out in the trigger guard.

The RRA NM comes close to bottoming out in the PC lower, but has enough clearance, I could see where this might be an issue.

X

Has anyone heard about a court case between Plum Crazy and New Frontier. I have a New Frontier on order and it was suppose to ship next week. A dealer at the Nashville gun show said I would not be getting it because Plum Crazy put a stop and deist order on New Frontier because they use to be partners and the left and started NF using molds from Plum Crazy..

Originally Posted By: coyotexAgree w/tactical on this one,,would not try to breach a door with the buttstock,,or walk up it, like its a ladder.

But..if you are using it to hunt with,,or truck gun even...itll be fine.

X

I wouldn't try and breach a door with any AR. A Garand or M1a, yes. AR, no.

Originally Posted By: kunnerHas anyone heard about a court case between Plum Crazy and New Frontier. I have a New Frontier on order and it was suppose to ship next week. A dealer at the Nashville gun show said I would not be getting it because Plum Crazy put a stop and deist order on New Frontier because they use to be partners and the left and started NF using molds from Plum Crazy..

This is false.

Plum Crazy has never had exclusive rights to the mold, owned the mold, or owned the patents to the molds, designs, etc. They paid a third party to put their name in the mold. This is exactly what New Frontier did, but they put their own upgrades into it, and are getting them produced in larger quantities. New Frontier Armory was never a partner with Plum Crazy. They were only a buyer/seller relationship just like we were with Plum Crazy Firearms. New Frontier was a seller of the Plum Crazy Polymer lowers, saw they could be improved upon and streamline operations more and started producing their own version.

There isn't a "halt" of New Frontier Armory lowers. They literally have thousands of stripped ones sitting around. The current holdup on their production is small parts not arriving on time from suppliers, such as end plates and bolt catches. As these trickle in, then lowers get made up and sent out.

Last edited:
There isn't a "halt" of New Frontier Armory lowers. They literally have thousands of stripped ones sitting around. The current holdup on their production is small parts not arriving on time from suppliers, such as end plates and bolt catches. As these trickle in, then lowers get made up and sent out.

I love it when the rumor mill falls apart! Thanks Joe Bob! I can't wait for my lowers to get here!

Thanks Joe for the clarification.

Guys, sorry I don't get to post much on here, but I've been busy trying to keep product flowing out to the dealers, and I know our dealers, especially Joe Bob is on here answering your questions, so I've been giving them their space.

There is no halt on anything. We never did, do, or would work with Plumcrazy on any project.

If any consumer or dealer has any email traffic from them stating such a claim, I would pay a reward to get a hold of it. Please e-mail me at sales@newfrontierarmory.com if you can show any of these statements that they're making in writing.

Thanks!

Guys that brings up a question for me, i recieved my frontier lower (from my local store) on friday and had the rear take down pin break in half on the tenth round saturday.

I like the reciever and know "stuff" happens. I need a new pin so i can finish the break in and left joebob a phone message early this morning so i'm not worried about a new one showing up only about if this may be one of the parts that may be holding up the shipping. And if so when can i expect it? thanks blue.

Last edited:
I thought I read where the NFA lowers were using steel take down pins? I know you didn't break a steel pin (I hope you didn't
smile.gif
)..

Was this one of the older lowers that was still using the poly pins?

Or maybe I'm confused on them using steel pins.

Back