The Wind Slacked Off, But I Didn't!

Well in Louisiana, when the wind would blow 70 miles per hour, we called it a hurricane. Here in southeastern New Mexico, we call it springtime...

The wind has been really tough on my calling opportunites and success the last few weeks. It seems like all the really pretty mornings for calling found me on my way into work and the weekends would usally turn to crap, weatherwise.

I finally made it out this morning and got in a few stands before the wind got terrible again.

It turned out that the first one of the day would be the last good one, but it was pretty cool.
I set up in an area of low dunes that are covered with shinnery oak scrub. The specific area I was in had a gradual slope that fell away from where I sat and allowed me to see for miles downhill.
The lay of the land and the wind forced me to set up looking almost into the sun, but it was manageable. Besides, I hadn't been on a calling stand for a while, so I was determined to make a go of this less-than-ideal spot. After promising myself I wouldn't spend more than ten minutes on that stand, I started in on pup distress on my TT Mini.
After about five minutes, I had a coyote standing out in the brush at maybe 150 yards. He was keyed in on Zack milling around the stand. That was just about ideal, as I had the sun in my face and every move I made would potentially bust us.
The coyote kept giving Zack the stink eye the whole time he crossed our front, headed downwind. He paused one last time after he cleared out from a group of cows and that's what I needed to make the shot.
After a quick dash following the impact, the coyote piled up.

Zack and I walked out to recover our coyote. I snapped a pic after we got back to the Jeep:

I saw two other coyotes moving through the brush on the way to our next three stands, but did not call anything else; the stands themselves were blank.
The wind had kicked up to around 20-30 MPH by 9:30, so we packed it in.

Still yet, it was nice to get out and reaffirm that there are coyotes out there.
Thanks for reading.

HOMBanner.jpg

Great job Corey. Looks like perfect shot placement.
smile.gif

Going out tomorrow morning, hoping to tear them up. If not, we'll be filming for the next 6 days anyways.
lol.gif

Tony

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeGoing out tomorrow morning, hoping to tear them up.
Tony

As usual, the weather for tomorrow morning (When I'll be at work!!!) looks just about perfect. I'm sure it'll end up good...

I might be overestimating a bit, but he's close to 70#.

He was 58# at his last vet visit and has filled out a bunch since then.

Just fired up the Wii and, after three tries holding that heavy SOB, it says he's 67#...

Back