What makes a coyote chase a dog?

My dog and I have been mentioned a few times so I will throw in my 2 cents. I would like to thank Knockemdown he has called me a young man twice. No longer true but I will take it every time. Yep I have a Cane Corso and he is going to be hunting with me. I haven't figured out a way to really use his strenghts yet. Denning season seems like the best time I could get Mr G out see some yotes that might interact and not run from the sight him. At this point I am thinking coyote retreiver and or a decoy not to bring them in but to draw attention away from me. He is definatly getting a dog back pack so he can haul his own gear and water maybe the AR,extra ammo, shotgun, ammo for the shotgun, my strut seat. He is a working dog so he is gonna work. I am not taking him out just to watch him "wool up" dead yotes.

Knockemdown has what seemed to be legitimate concern about the safety of a pet being taken into the field. Would I take an average fat black lab tennis ball chaser out coyote hunting or recommend anyone else did? Probably not, but in my post I mentioned that my dog is in good shape and is no stranger to dog on dog conflict. A dog with a ton of drive that's smart and eager to please seems like a great hunting partner no matter how big he is. Would i buy a Cane Corso to hunt coyotes? H-ell no! I could get a pack of Curs and an old horse with money still left for gas instead.

There was talk about killing coyotes and the time of year. I have been shooting coyotes for about 23 years. I have my prime spots where no cattle graze good deer populations and more than a few desert bighorns I leave those yotes alone during the spring/summer. Nature has a good balance there why mess around. Another place I go I killem all regardless of size,sex,nipple shape,shade,walking,standing,running, playing or sleeping in a den. The cowpoke that grazes his heard around there likes to see the buzzards circling a litter of pups and a female instead of his calves. Any man who has the balls to graze his cattle in a sea of jumping cholla and steep canyons is gonna get a little help from me anytime I can give it. We are hunters we kill things and if anyone has a problem with it maybe we could start a "Pursuit Only" thread so they can discuss all the coyotes they didn't kill.

This is a great thread. I tip my cap to all of the members who have contributed.

Another visual of a non-bagged nursing female. Pic was taken yesterday. She has 4 pups.

P1120197.jpg

i would still be leary of using your cane corso retrieving a dead coyote....he could choke to death running with food in his mouth. and why would you subject the dog to carry all your gear when your capable of doing the same... to he!! with the curs get a saddle and ride that dog to your stands!lol

good idea on the dogpack!

They make them for smaller dogs & I've outfitted my new decoy lap dog in style with a Louis Vuitton 'decoy dog' pack...
gucci-dog-backpack.jpg

Then, when a coyote is finished with the dog, I can put what's left of him in the pack...
scared.gif

But that's OK, beacuse this is my other decoy dog prospect, also outfitted with a daypack...
DSC_3448.jpg

I can put all sorts of dog toys, bones, balls & whatnot in the pack. Since those are the only things this dog will be chewing on stand...
blushing.gif

Hope those photos didn't offend anyone or hurt their feelings...
rolleyes.gif

Ok Knockemdown that Louis V wearing Chihuahua has decoyed as many coyotes this year as your dog.
tt2.gif
So does breed and bloodline really make a difference? Does The fact that the Chihuahua wears a designer bag have any influence on how he is percieved by the coyotes? Does the Louis V bag just lead the coyotes to believe he is an Alpha because he can afford such a fine pack when they can only afford a fur coat? Is that what keeps his/her "decoy" numbers so low? Would the Chihuahua attract only female coyotes just so they can see his/her bag? Coyote behavior teaches to respect the Alpha does class envy play any part in this? Maybe the Chihuahua would be more effective if he/she wore a Coach bag from the outlet mall. That is it your dog needs a coach bag from the outlet mall to be more effective. I cannot prove it but since the Chihuahua and your Cur are running about the same average it couldn't hurt.
lol.gif

P.S. I hope knowone was offended or got there feeling hurt by this post.

LOL, no worries from my end!

Cruiser, I LOL'ed and appreciate the humor, and I don't have feelings, so we're good
wink.gif

I DO think there is ALOT of good info that's been shared in this thread. Certainly too much to let it frizzle out on a comedic note...
And when I said my dog didn't decoy a coyote, that was only since September. When the coyotes are in the mood, he does OK...
AugPAcoyotes012.jpg

AugPAcoyotes025-1.jpg

Mostly, it seems like our coyotes just ain't in the mood, even when they are supposed to be. They see the dog & BOLT from the him at first sight & don't return, like on this stand...
julypics048.jpg

julypics050.jpg

later!

OK, let's step away from "badger food", since that (apparently) didn't go over real well with some folks.

So here' some others question for you guys
smile.gif

How important do you think exposure at a young age is for making a decoy dog?

There's been some opinions shared that imply that 'decoying' is essetially a learned skill, as compared to an in-bred trait, such as natural 'treeing' instinct. Also, some guys have shared that almost any dog can learn the 'game' of decoying, if given time on stand.

Without disputing that, I'd like to know if an adult dog can be taken out and expected to learn the serious 'game' of tag that a decoy dog plays with a coyote?

Or, are those little training wrinkles imprinted on a young pup's pea-brain essential to bringing out that 'decoying' skill, assuming the dog has the right attitude for the work?

Essentially, are 'decoy' dogs born, or made???

Back