boyds thumbhole varmint stock

j.hennes

I am looking at getting one of these;
boyds stock
does anyone have personal experience? I have shot a factory Howa 1500 with a non-thumbhole version of this stock. This seems like a great price when compared to Richards Micro-fit. These are finished with studs and butt pad, both of which are "extras" and extra $ with Richards.

Btw, it will be going on a rem 700 sps 22-250 vt with bull barrel.

thanks in advance

I bought one of the Boyds thumbhole stocks from Midway and the fit and finish were pretty good. Mine came with two forward sling attachments and one rear. I put in aluminum pillars and bedded the action myself. Price was right and stock is already cut so the barrel is free floated, at least it was on mine.

I've bought two Boyds stocks over the years.
The first was a Laminate for a Ruger 77. The in-letting was pretty bad on that one, but after some work and creative use of my four letter word vocabulary I got it ironed out.
The second was for an SPS sporter in 223 that I'm currently transforming into a 222. Here's a link.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...655#Post2195655
The in-letting on this one is much better, but still needed some fitting. The worst areas being a slightly off center barrel channel, and need for some material removal at the bolt handle which sucked since it was pre-finished. I touched it up with some Howards Feed-N-Wax and it blended in pretty well though. Fortunately that area doesn't show much with the bolt closed.

All in all, I'm happy, and would buy another Boyds stock.
Luck

Buy from Boyts website. I have one on a Savage Model 12. It is nice. Also one on Remington 700 and a A-bolt.

Back in the day you have to finish the stock. Now they come finished.

Originally Posted By: j.hennesI am looking at getting one of these;
boyds stock
does anyone have personal experience? I have shot a factory Howa 1500 with a non-thumbhole version of this stock. This seems like a great price when compared to Richards Micro-fit. These are finished with studs and butt pad, both of which are "extras" and extra $ with Richards.

Btw, it will be going on a rem 700 sps 22-250 vt with bull barrel.

thanks in advance

I bought TWO of the very same stock. I love them.

Fit and finish was flawless - color of staining was uniform throughout.

You won't regret it.

Have the sporter version on a Savage 110 and the only complaint is the forearm is wide. Great on bags or bipod, not so much for off-hand. Oh, and Boyds return policy is horrid if you don't like it. Just so you know up front.

CB

I have the Boyds laminated thumbhole for the Ruger .204 heavy varmint. It took quite a while to get and they gave me a free upgrade for wait. Apparently, they only do a production run when the get enough orders to justify setting up for the job. I think my wait period was some 8 months.

It was not a drop in turn key operation. It appears they forgot to mill out a small section. I got the Dremel tool out and completed the job. Had some fun doing. Overall and very good stock.

I have 2 of them both were dropin fit no extra work needed. I had to open the barrel channel on one when I changed barrels but it was a larger contour. I would and probably buy another one.

just bought one for my Savage model 116 4-5 weeks ago except it is the "classic". the fit and finish are excellent imo! barrel free floats and it looks really good!
the one your looking at is the next one i'm thinking of getting for my Savage model 10(in the green).

Last edited:
I own three of Boyd's thumb hole stock's, I have nothing but good to say about them. the last one was for a model 12 savage 204, shoots jaged hole's 5 shot groups at 100ydrs. very satisfied,
with thier stocks.

Check out Stocky's. I bought one for my Stevens build. It is real nice. I bought the thumbhole Varmint that looks very similar-if not exactly like that one.

kevlars

Supa dupa happy with mine! I also had to enlarge the barrel channel because I used a larger contour barrel on my build. The only thing I don't care for on mine is the long reach to the safety on the Stevens receiver. Other than that it is a great stock for the price in my book.

fin2.jpg

fin1.jpg

Trashcan
DCC

So far, I have 3 Boyds stocks. One is like the one your considering. I glass and pillar bedded it and free-floated the barrel. The 308 win Howa 1500 action fit very well, but I can't seem to leave things as they come from the factory. It went from a 1 MOA rifle to a sub .500 rifle with some loads. I also added a Limbsaver pad to make it even tamer to shoot off the bench. It's a 12 pound rifle as it is, so I wouldn't want to pack it very far.

Howa1500STHV308WINcropped.jpg
Howa1500STHV308WIN.jpg
308HOWA1500target.jpg

I had one on my Howa 1500 .308. It really reduced the felt recoil, was very comfortable to hold. I bought an unfinished one to save the money, can't say my finish was awesome, but not your problem :0).

I noticed the felt recoil seemed to be reduced when I first shot mine after installing it. I have one on a 270. I shortened the length of pull and balanced weighted the but stock area too, but before doing that it reduce the felt kick.

Back