Its all ready for the range. Updated. Correction to group measurements.

coyote.204

Just got it done. Went with a Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44 with BDC. Time to go to the range this weekend and dial it in.

2012-04-11_17-37-39_101.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluetickkid33Looks awesome!Bet it shoots well too! Any info on the build?

Its a Rock River 16" Predator Pursuit. I mounted the scope on a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I also bought a Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch. I need to install it still. I hear it's nice to have with scoped flat tops??

Originally Posted By: coyote.204Originally Posted By: bluetickkid33Looks awesome!Bet it shoots well too! Any info on the build?

Its a Rock River 16" Predator Pursuit. I mounted the scope on a Burris P.E.P.R. mount. I also bought a Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch. I need to install it still. I hear it's nice to have with scoped flat tops??

I just put a badger tactical latch on mine today. You will love it! It's a must!

Well I made it to the range a few times and got it sighted in. Have not got a 3/4 moa yet with the ammo I have tried.Hornady 55gr V MAX has been best so far.

Here is my best but only 4 shots. Ran out of ammo.
1335153337727.jpg

1335153340519.jpg

1335153342818.jpg

Here are some 62 gr Fusions I tried.

1335153345547.jpg

Here is a group from 53gr V MAX Superperformance.

1335153526076.jpg

Also tried some Federal 55gr Nosler ballistic tips. For got to take a pic but nothing great with them. I asked Rock River what I should go with to achieve there 3/4 moa they guarantee and they said I should be able to achieve it with Hornady or Federal. I know a lot of guys say to reload but they guarantee that with factory ammo beings anything else voids warranty. So what should I try? Heavier lighter?

Thanks

To be a brand new rifle, your groups aren't bad. I wouldn't worry about groups until you get 2 - 300 round through it. Use this range time to get more familiar with it and to watch your breathing and trigger control.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: skolTo be a brand new rifle, your groups aren't bad. I wouldn't worry about groups until you get 2 - 300 round through it. Use this range time to get more familiar with it and to watch your breathing and trigger control.
thumbup1.gif

That's about how long my A4 Varmint took. Mine liked the Remington Premier Varmint 50gr. Accutips for factory ammo. They were pricey, so I started handloading and matched the performance. RRA makes a fine rifle. Nice setup by the way.

Although not scientific, my analogy is why fried potatoes taste better in mom's old beat up iron skillet instead of a brand spanking new lodge skillet I just bought. I think it takes a little seasoning and experience. Some also call it break in. I don't do break in procedures, but noticed mine started liking rounds it hated when I first got it. Not sure if I was breaking in the chef or the skillet though
wink.gif

Like your set up. I'm in the process of setting up my RRA (same rifle 20") and I to have the Vortex Viper. how do you like your scope mounting system. Did you get the QD and can you provide a link to the latch.

Good luck with that group.

Originally Posted By: fluffiedogLike your set up. I'm in the process of setting up my RRA (same rifle 20") and I to have the Vortex Viper. how do you like your scope mounting system. Did you get the QD and can you provide a link to the latch.

Good luck with that group.

I like it. Seems good and solid. QD?

Here is a couple links.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=b..._tactical_latch

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=AR-15%2FM16+TACTICAL+LATCH

My 16" pencil barrel shot the 53 grain V-max Superformance about an inch and a quarter at 100 yards. Then I tried the 40 grain V-max(NON SUPERFORMANCE) 3800 FPS Hornady Varmint Express and it has consistently shot under an inch. I'd like to try the 35 grain Superformance(4000 FPS) to see what they will do. Oh, and this is with 1 in 9" twist.

How are you measuring your groups?

The reason I ask is your first group looks well under 3/4 MOA, or about in the .6's

What your trying to find is the center of the hole, ie. "point" of impact to the far hole "point" of impact.

I measure my groups by taking a loose bullet, closeing it in my callipers, zero, then measure outside to outside, wich essentialy gives you (outside to outside distance, - bullet circumfrance). Give it a try

Originally Posted By: Vent_O_LaterHow are you measuring your groups?

The reason I ask is your first group looks well under 3/4 MOA, or about in the .6's

What your trying to find is the center of the hole, ie. "point" of impact to the far hole "point" of impact.

I measure my groups by taking a loose bullet, closeing it in my callipers, zero, then measure outside to outside, wich essentialy gives you (outside to outside distance, - bullet circumfrance). Give it a try

LOL...Well I am wrong then. I measure from farthest out side of the bullet holes. I feel a little stupid now that I think of it. Time to remeasure.

Most of those are pretty decent out of a new rifle. I have a 20" Predator and it was very similar. I agree with what was said on tighter groups in the 200-300 shot range. The one I am using right now is right at 200 and it definitely got tighter. Keep your targets too. It is pretty interesting to me anyway to see those groups tighten. I shoot 5-10 shot groups. Mine likes the Black Hills blue box 50 and 60 grain Vmax. It also really really likes the Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax. I think you have a winner there. It will get even better as you two fall in love and you shoot it more. It took me some getting used to coming from a bolt but don't look back, you have a nice rifle. If you live in a state where you can run suppressed, you would love that too! Keep us updated!

Back