What makes a coyote chase a dog?

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeWell written Tim. Alot of information and just and enjoyable read.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Yes, INDEED!
That was incredible, thanks for sharing your knowledge, DTOM!

Tony, I'd sure like to know how you handle that situation while catering to clients during denning season. After all, that is the "prime time" for decoy doggin' right?

Do you do the extra work, or choose to leave pups in the ground to "feed the badgers", as Mason stated he does?

Fred, you may have said but what is your opinion? Is it legal to hunt in May and June in NY? I know here is Arkansas I have no option but to quit during that time because season is closed. How about you? Are you forced to quit or just your choice to quit?

NY coyote season opens 10/1 and runs through 3/25.
PA to the south of where I hunt in NY has no closed season.
If I did choose to hunt in PA for my own selfish reasons of seeing my dog work, I'd do so with the intention of handling whatever is necessary after taking an adult.
Since I've absolutely ZERO experience with that situation, I usually only hunt in PA in September, a month before NY season opens...
SO, to answer your question, I quit by choice. I want as many coyotes to make it to the fall/winter as possible because that is my 'fun time' to call them. Even if the dog makes 'em leave!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHamptonYou can see their bags.

I beg the big dipper with you SHampton. A nursing female will not "always be "bagged". See my fox video above in this thread.

One more thing while I've wedged myself into this discussion. When a pr of coyotes are on the move, traveling, hunting whatever. The female is almost always(more often than not...9 out of 10x, ect) in the lead. While the male brings up the rear or is the lag coyote.

The female is also the most aprehensive/wary of the two. As she will check-up if something isn't right. That is when the male will often take the lead "temporarily". Once everything has checked out as "normal" Then the female will again take over the lead. Where she goes, the male follows. She sets the tempo.

Last edited:
Here is a nursing Red from last yr. The only sign you can tell she is nursing other than watching her pups feed. Is her belly fur is thin & her nipples are dark.

Non-bagged nursing female.
P1080431.jpg

P1080407.jpg

BTW, I don't give a hoot whether a hunter tags one or not.

Last edited:
I shot 1 wet female last year. I'm not sayin you can see it everytime I'm sayin I saw several with big bags like a pet dog and didn't shoot them.

If you are wanting to reduce yote numbers,kill the adults, and let the dogs back track to the den, and kill the pups, pretty simple.
As it was said before, if the state you are in allows it, then you can hunt/kill yotes any way within the law.that includes useing decoy dogs to there potential around dens in the spring. I'll say that killing pups ain't fun, but it dam sure reduces the # of dead calves,and other spring babies.

Originally Posted By: SHamptonI shot 1 wet female last year. I'm not sayin you can see it everytime I'm sayin I saw several with big bags like a pet dog and didn't shoot them.

10-4, SHampton I don't doubt you. I was merely making a point about nursing females. So others may learn.

Last edited:
Fred- You missed my points by a long ways. I know a lot of the dogs behind your pup and you are right, if they weren't good dogs they would have caught a bullet. I also know how the wrong area can really handicap a pup. I've raised hounds here in the desert and up in the mountains and there is a huge difference.

I said "In the right country" a guy could do better with a Cane Corso than you have with Pokey. I wasn't putting you or the dog down at all, I was simply implying that a guy could go out and have some fun with his dog. Call BS all you want, you don't have any idea about how coyotes act out here and in good spots, a guy could bring more in with the dogs in a weekend than you have. It's not apples to apples at all.

It is amazing how much you have to know, to realize how little you actually do know. You're not there yet my friend.

One last question for you Fred: Deer, Horses and Cows all eat the same thing, grass. Yet Deer drop pellets, Horses drop apples and Cows leave pies... Why is that?

Take care.

Mason- I don't know why but I've had dogs that would slurp each up like they were candy. I've got one female now that can't pass a cowpie up without doing a barrel roll into it. Nasty dog.

Take care.

Tim

Wet cow piles have an unexplainable force field that pulls my dog to them. It has to have something to do with his collar because it seems to always get packed full.

Thanks for clarifying, Mason.
That makes perfect sense, it wouldn't take much to do better than ZERO, LOL!!!
Getting off topic again, but I KNOW I'm handicapped here,and this topic isn't aboutme, or my dog. So I got defensive & called BS. Somehow, the topic kept getting re-directed at me, so I reckon I read that wrong. But I still don't think a 115 lb. dog would be worth a crap on stand, so my BS assessment stands
laugh.gif

And while I'm at it, I've actually hunted coyotes in your state of Nevada, as well as Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri....blah blah blah, yadda yadda. So I'm darn sure, hunting out there is certainly not apples to apples, as compared to back this way. Not even close!!! Back on topic...

Don't know what all about the droppings, cause they're all just $hit to me
wink.gif

Thanks again for clarifying, I appreciate that. And I also appreciate the info & advice you offered me back when I first got my dog.
One more thing. Although I strongly disagree with you about the "badger food" deal, I can still find it in me to give you props for speaking freely about it.

take care, man!

"What makes a coyote chase a dog?"

IMO, these local/territorial coyotes that see another canine on their land. Triggers a response from them they can't help. Whether it is standing aways away & barking/yapping. Or running in to fight or run off the tresspasser canine.

Add the mate/(or the whole family group) to that Territorial adult coyote. Et they can/will be even more bold or agressive. I've spoken with hundreds of farmers & acrege owners over the yrs. A number of them have told me about their dog & the area coyotes interactions.

Even large dogs have been piled on right in the farm or acrege yard. Most of those dog vs coyote interactions. There was more than one coyote present. Except a couple of incidents. Where it was one on one.

One acrege owner. Owned a large male Golden Retriever cross. Dog was very large. One night the owner chained that dog to the back door out on their cement patio. A pr of coyotes came into the yard & piled onto that dog.

Owner ran to the kitchen & flipped on the outside light. The dog was on his back, one coyote had the dog by the throat. The other coyote was tearing into the dogs belly.

Owner ran out yelling & started kicking the coyotes. The coyotes continued their attack on the dog. Eventually the owner & his wife had to beat the coyotes with brooms. Before they finally let go & ran off into the darkness.

Why, oh why? you ask
laugh.gif
Well for starters, the dog was a tresspasser. Secondly the coyotes sized up their foe, then commenced an all out attack.

Last edited:
Back