What makes a coyote chase a dog?

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes"What makes a coyote chase a dog?"

I'm thinking steak bones around the neck, Oscar Meyer wieners around the middle and [beeep] in heat smeared under tail section outta do it.

I want one of Duane's dog's, but for now I think the 100 pound or more lab in this video is just my speed. He uses doggin's method & doesn't even have to leave the yard.

Originally Posted By: DTOMYou are missing out on the best decoy action of all year by sitting out spring and summer. It's what a decoy dog is all about.

Tough making a decoy dog out of any dog if you don't get out and put numbers of coyotes in front of it. 10-20 a year is not going to do it. If you don't have the numbers where you live you will have to drive to get to them or accept that your dog may never make a very good decoy dog. Not due to any short comming of the dog, but due to you not doing your part.

There is no magic in coyote hunting and esp. not in a decoy dog. It is truely a numbers game. Could you make a field trial bird dog only showing it 12 birds a year? Probably not. The truth is most guys will never use a decoy dog how they are supposed to be used. Denning. It's too tough and too hot and too many other thing to do that time of year so it gets put on the back burner. Thats fine, but you can't go around thinking if I can't do it no one can because a few of us do and we MAKE it work by putting our own hard work and time and money into making a decoy dog a decoy dog not just a hunting buddy that scares off coyotes or sits at your side and then goes and rags a dead coyote a few time a year.

This is one of the reasons I think flooding the market with "decoy dogs" is not the right thing to do. Most guys won't use them how they are meant to be utilized or when they are most effective.

Just my opinion from watching no one have an idea what decoy dogs are 10 years ago to now when just about every guy has or wants one to increase his numbers. I got news for you a dog just isn't going to do it by itself. You are a team and YOU must put some into it to get any out of it.

Tim

Tim, I'm well aware of when "prime time" is.
And I agree with every word in your post, 100%
Thank you!

Gee thanks Fred, for sitting me in a corner? In all of this jabber
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Heck I only chimed in cuz (according to some?) dogs iz coyotes & coyotes iz dogs. Et aahs be-uns around bote fur a long tame
grin.gif

Speaking of which sure size does matter to some coyotes but not all of them. Side note; Iffen I were to fetch me a decoy dog to hunt coyotes wit. Aaahs be a picken me won in the 25-40 lb range. Rather than some big ole grizz dog. Most coyotes iz cowards, unless they be a toting back-up family group members.

Size-up, size-up, dat what dey do.

Fred, i wasnt trying to jab at you, and i appreciate the honest answers, But you answered them just as i figured you would, and thats just what i was hoping for.

I dont mean to put words into your mouth or anything, but from what i understand, you wanted a dog to be your companion, so you got one, but an important part of that companiouship was hunting. You knew that from the start, so you made a great choice in picking a very versatile dog that should fill about any need.

The guy in the original post obviously didnt base his decision in dogs on hunting being a real gole. But, his priorities seem to be changing, and he wants to incorporate the dog that he already has into more of his activities.

Does anyone really think this horse of a dog is going to be a great decoy dog, or even ever decoy one single coyote? i sure dont, but im all for spending time in the field with dogs. I take a dog with me when im going to fix a fence. I know the dog isnt going to help me fix the fence, but i like having her there!

I see your point, and i understand, but i dont think anyone was giving him any falce hope, or ideas about just what his dog would do.

This has turned into a great discussion, and lots of good info is being shared, but you have made it clear that it is a direct result of the horse dog thread, and how it was handled. Just keep in mind that lots of us, including you i assume, think that anything can be made better by throwing a dog in it, and would never try to convince someone not to spend time with their dog whenever they can.

Hope im not coming off as a jack azz, or like im calling you out or anything, because im not, just trying to play "Devil's Advocate"

Understood, Jesse. I think that other thread has been addressed to everyone's satisfaction.

It seems like some guys are all hung up on what their dog does AFTER the shot, rather than what the dog is, or isn't doing BEFORE the shot. It's the BEFORE part that makes a 'decoy dog' an asset, and is the part that fascinates me. That is why I started this thread, to put the focus back on HOW & WHY a decoy dog works on stand!

And onto a related, more 'touchy' subject of recommending "average" hunters to try decoy dogs...

When running a 'decoy dog' during "prime time", I feel one now owns the added responsibility to taking care of certain unglorifying aspects of the task, namely denning. I can't see that as being any sort of fun, but I do see the necessity...

I am of the opinion tha encouraging 'decoy dogging' during the denning period without even acknowleging or addressing what needs to be done after taking adult coyotes is completely irresponsible!

That is exactly why I won't encourage ANY "average" hunter to try decoying coyotes during this upcoming "prime time", whether his dog is a 115 lb. mastiff, a 15 lb. JRT, or a 35 lb. cur!!! This topic ties back into the OTHER thread about recommending & encouraging other hunters to "just try your dog out and see what happens". Well, consider this for a moment...

What if that hunter, who'd otherwise not be in the field, takes his dog out in the next month to "try" on stand, gets lucky and kills a coyote? As he proudly stands over his pet dog's first coyote experience, he notices that he has just shot dead, a WET female. Maybe he realizes that there is a litter of pups in the ground somewhere, maybe he doesn't. He might only remember that the guys on Predator Masters collectively encouraged him to "try it out and see what happens" without mentioning the part that, as a result of him killing an adult coyote, there might be a den of helpless pups now without a mother to sustain them.

Is that HIS fault for not knowing better, or those who encouraged him here in this forum's fault for not sharing that 'unsavory' part with him???
Is it nobody's fault and coyotes are not worth the consideration?

Think about that a minute before you jump on me for asking.

Maybe some you guys might want to take pause before encouraging guys to try a dog in the spring/summer, maybe not. That's up to you guys. I'm just offering up something to ponder & playing "devil's advocate" again to encourage everyone to look at the big picture of what happens when "average" hunters are encouraged to hunt with a dog this time of year.

I figure, 99 times out of 100, those same "average" hunters are either not aware of, not willing to, or not capable of, handling a denning situation after taking the adults out of an area. I know I'm not, and I'm not comfortable with knowing that a litter of pups might be in a hole somewhere that need taken care of.

Would anyone care to comment on recommending/ running decoy dogs during the summer when there are young pups in the ground?
And for the guy who plan on it, do you feel that it is worth the effort to see your dog 'work' if you run the risk of leaving pups in a hole somewhere?
Are you prepared to see through a denning situation after taking an adult? Or do you walk away with your camera, dog & gun without giving it a second thought?

This is where the casual/recreational side of enjoying a 'decoy dog' crosses over into why ADC men employ the use of them. So I'd sure like to hear how the recreational hunters are prepared to handle that type of situation?

Like I said, 'touchy' subject. But I'd like to hear the "decoy doggers" opinions (not you kirby
wink.gif
) & especially from the guys who are in the decoy dog business to make a profit.

Jesse, I'd like to hear from you, too, since you run hounds. Do you run in the spring/summer? If so, how do you handle the denning aspect after an adult is taken?

Thanks...

And please keep in mind, I'm not preaching!
I shared my opinion above and would very much like to here from everyone who has participated in this thread.
We are all big boys & do what we please, I'd just like to hear about your take on spring/summer recreational decoy doggin' & recommending that pursuit to the "average" hunter trying a pet dog on stand...

thoughts?
comments?
opinions?

Last edited:
This has been a good subject. I tried to play the devils advocate but you wouldnt bite. LOL My opinion is that what happens after the shot is as equal importance to me as is what happens before the shot. Example: If I have two or more coyotes come in at once and I shoot one (usually the least aggressive) I dont want my dog running out to wool the one I shot. I want the dogs to try and engage the ones that are still alive and bring them back.

I am a recreational guy and my coyote hunting is just getting ramped up. You make some very good points about the recreational hunter doing what is necessary after taking a wet female. I do everything I can to make sure there are no survivors. My two boys who are now 9 and 4 now love going with me. They love to watch the dogs and coyotes as much as I and my oldest now packing his own 223. I was wondering how they would handle the first time cleaning out a hole. At first they gave the "But dad they are just babies". I explained it much in the same way you have. They are fine with it now and usually keep a little distance at that time.

Good points.

Good question Fred. I battle that subject and Im somewhat uneasy with the thought of it. I think you can push it right to the edge without having to be confronted with the denning aspect. April, then July and August are great times for prime dog work. I didnt kill any wet females in July last year. It is possible to run into one but I didnt. I guess you could raise that question on any animal though. How about dillos? Hogs? Skunk? Some animals get a free pass when talking about this subject. Just a thought.

As for nursing from what I've seen. Pups are introduced to regurged prey quite early. Around 6wks old give or take.

Around 8wks + some will still suckle if the female is still producing milk. Et she still tolerates the pounding of her pups. Even during that time some will start to eat insects as well as small prey their parents killed & brought back.

Even if the female is killed off during those latter wks. The male will take over her duties providing meat. As well as teaching his young to hunt & explore.

Female Red regurging for her young pups. Video clip taken the other day. Click on the pic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dustballsThis has been a good subject. I tried to play the devils advocate but you wouldnt bite. LOL

I did bite, just that I told the honest truth, best I know how. One doesn't ever have to remember what one has said if it was the truth
wink.gif
smile.gif

Thank you for adding to the conversation!!! I'm glad to see that you do everything in your power to act responsibly and teach your young men to do the same.
I like to remember GC's sigline here on the board. It read "doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always right"
IMHO, you are doing "right", dustballs...

Originally Posted By: btech29 I guess you could raise that question on any animal though. How about dillos? Hogs? Skunk? Some animals get a free pass when talking about this subject. Just a thought.

Jeff, Yes, you could raise that question, but I'd sure like to keep the topic within the realm of decoy dogs and coyotes. So unless Spot 'decoys' skunks & dillos ON PURPOSE (don't answer that!!!
laugh.gif
) let's stay focused on coyotes, please.
I see that kirby wants to talk about foxes vomiting on each other, instead of decoy dogs & coyotes, but I can't add anything to that
confused.gif

OK, to the rest of you doggers: you've been 'decoyed' into the conversation, so don't run away now!!!
wink.gif

Let us know your opinions on decoy doggin' in the spring/summer, how you go about the work of finding & handling a den AND if you think recommending a novice to "try it out for himself" is a good idea during this time???

The trouble with only killing one adult is that you run the chance of turning the remaining adult into a problem animal. Lone adults often turn to the easiest food source to keep up with the needs of the young. Most often this is stock or other "man made" food sources.

Working dens is awful hard without the right tools or dogs. I would guess most guys wouldn't bother with it. Just finding them is a challenge if your dogs are not "tuned" to backtrack to them.

I guess I'm lucky as I have a financial incentive to find each coyote and not just a moral one.

Sorry Fred. Not meaning to get off track. Here's my opinion on summer time coyotes. Its better not to do it. I wont bash anyone if they want to do it. If its bad then the state should close the season. If the state dont choose to close season then there may be a need for it.

Originally Posted By: knockemdownOK, to the rest of you doggers: you've been 'decoyed' into the conversation, so don't run away now!!!
wink.gif

Let us know your opinions on decoy doggin' in the spring/summer, how you go about the work of finding & handling a den AND if you think recommending a novice to "try it out for himself" is a good idea during this time???

I find dens a couple different ways. I always have an idea where the dens are from locating either early morning before sun up or late night after dark. Kinda like roosting turkeys the night before a hunt. I travel areas of the ranch that historically have had dens and often find new residents in old den sites or very near them. I also will listen to where a pair of coyotes howl from and then make notes on topo maps and mapping gps and develope a "game plan" on how to get to the "place" I want to be in reguards to location of coyotes and direction of the wind, the sun and other terrain features that I want to use to my advantage instead of the coyotes using them to their advantage. After a while you get to have a sense about where a K9 will den and if you map year after year you will have a historical record to back up your search.

That alone generally puts me near the the den. I then call and hopefully decoy the adults off the den. Often this means not shooting ther first coyote to appear and work the dogs. I want the coyote to make a huge ruckus and attract the other adults. I then will choose the least aggressive coyote to shoot first. It is often the female that will hold back "off" the dogs but not always. I then will use the dogs to work any live coyotes back into gun range and take them as well. By shooting from back to front and least aggressive to most aggressive you are increasing your odds at getting more then one to work you and the dogs. After the shot and recovery of the adults I will have the dogs back track to the den. I personally believe that a dog has to learn to track backwards as it is not in too many good dogs nature to backtrack a hot track. Once a dog gets the hang of it and realizes that they can find more coyotes by backtracking they will do it on their own and make quick work of finding the den.

Once we have physically found the den I let the decoy dogs work it over quite a bit as I watch from a distance in hopes of getting any other adult coyotes to show themselves. I never used to do it that way. I would just turn the terriers loose and let the chips fall as they may but after loosing a few terriers and seeing that decoy dogs can and will draw other adult coyotes out I have started doing it to save on wear and tear to the terriers. An adult coyote in the ground is a tough job for a terrier to handle and better left to a bigger dog and a rifle if you can help it.

Once I am reasonably certain that we have all the adults I will let the terriers work the den and draw any pups they find out. You could also dig them out or poison the den or smoke it out if it is legal where you are but I love the dog work and the terrier spirit so I use them more than any other way.

Tools of the trade are shovels, breaker bars, picks, axes, a well stocked first aid kit on you and a better one in the truck, water for the dogs and you, and all the other assorted calling and dog handling supplies you would normally take. I use a 6x6 polaris utv but you could also use a horse or the boot leather express. In a good day I will work 2-5 dens. I am at it from well before sun up to well after sun down. I plan for 3-5 week trips and like to work in a circuit of ranches. The ranches I work love to see me and the dogs pull up and often we will either camp or stay in a bunk house on the ranches we work. Most of my contacts come from either cattlemens assoc. or sheepherders assoc. with a smattering of private ranchers thrown in as well.

Sounds easy when you read it but in reality it is a ton of work and time. Let alone the cost of keeping decoy dogs and terriers. I love it and as much as I love fur hunting I can not wait until the spring comes and I again find myself following my dogs across the great wide open. I mostly do it to make some pocket money and pay for hunting trips and equipment, dog food and to keep the "old school" way alive. I've been lucky to have had some great denners to teach me the ways of using dogs to den. I feel that working the dens provides a service for the ranches and a tether to my past, the past of my forefathers and the working past of the dogs I keep that is disappearing from the rural American landscape as the older generation passes on to the hunting stands in the sky.

Tim

Perfect post.

Tim,
When I retire from my day job, can me and my dogs get a summer job with you?

Stay after them and don't kill all the okie coyotes this year...lol

Kelly

Last edited:
I try not to shoot wet females. I want there to be as many coyotes as possible for me to hunt. I hunt for fun and don't shoot coyotes from the road simply because I figure that's just another one I might be able to hunt at some point. Plus, I suck at finding dens.

Tim- Great posts, you are living the dream buddy.

Tony- Great posts as well, you are also living the dream.

The majority of the rest of us, Fred included, are just regular guys that try and go hunt some coyotes when we can and some of us try and take a dog with us, when we can.

I don't care if my dog costs me 5 coyotes a day (never has that I know of) she's coming along or I am staying home, year round.

As far as telling people that are new to the game, to go for it with whatever dog they have... I will keep on, keeping on. If they are so inclined to go give it a try, they have every right.

As far as leaving pups in the den, I don't give a hoot or holler about them pups. Like someone said, the male will raise the pups on his own if they are weaned, or for all I care, they can perish. Nature is cruel and this is a harsh world we live in. I call it feeding Badgers.

Fred- I have a couple questions for you. What do you care how someone else hunts or what dog they carry to the field? Does it really matter if someone takes a dog that you feel would never make a decoy dog and goes and has some fun, successful or not?

In the right country a guy with a Cane Corso could do a lot better than you have admittedly done with your, bred for it Cur dog.

I'm sure you have had a good time out with your dog even with your limited success. So again, why are you the only one that is allowed to go give it a whirl? Would you feel different if everyone had a Cur that wanted to go give her a whirl?

Take care.

Originally Posted By: Catdawg
Fred- I have a couple questions for you. What do you care how someone else hunts or what dog they carry to the field? Does it really matter if someone takes a dog that you feel would never make a decoy dog and goes and has some fun, successful or not?

Easy Mason, I don't.
And no, it doesn't matter at all what I feel. My opinion is worth the same as anyone else's, so take it for whatever you think it's worth. Just making conversation, and obviously this thread has some wheels turning...
smile.gif

Quote:As far as telling people that are new to the game, to go for it with whatever dog they have... I will keep on, keeping on. If they are so inclined to go give it a try, they have every right.

Absolutely. This is the US of A, do whatever ya like. But I dang sure ain't gonna encourage someone to try something that I persnally might disagree with. And if I disagree with something, I will occasionally exercise my right to let that be known, instead of turning a blind eye. Its obvious by the other member posts in this thread that I'm not alone...

Quote:
In the right country a guy with a Cane Corso could do a lot better than you have admittedly done with your, bred for it Cur dog.
I'll got ahead and call BULL$HIT on that one, right there. Prove it, or the speculation ain't worth the paper it was wrote on.
And since you guys keep bringing up MY dog, I think IF my dog were given the conditions to shine, I truly think he just might make some halfazzed decoy dog. After all, Mason, haven't you hunted with at least a few of the dogs in his ancestry???
wink.gif

If they weren't $hit, they'd have caught a bullet, NO???

Like someone wrote above, I AM THE MAIN REASON my dog hasn't seen more coyotes. I choose to live here, so it is 100% my fault and I take 100% full responsibility.

Someday, I'll make a trip somewhere "good" to show him some coyotes, since I have open invites to do just that with some good friends. Or, I could just as easily remain happy with him for what he already does to please me. I have nothing to prove to anyone, but myself...

Quote:
I'm sure you have had a good time out with your dog even with your limited success. So again, why are you the only one that is allowed to go give it a whirl? Would you feel different if everyone had a Cur that wanted to go give her a whirl?

Mason, you're reading too much into my motives without actually knowing them.
I don't think that at all. Nor does the breed of dog have anything to do with it. Again, you are reaching, but why, I ask? If you are attempting to trip me up with my own words, good luck with that! I'm telling the truth, as I see it, and being as honest as possible, so keep on asking & I'll keep on answering. But that's just de-railing the topic again, so I'll get us back on track...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SHamptonI try not to shoot wet females. I want there to be as many coyotes as possible for me to hunt. I hunt for fun and don't shoot coyotes from the road simply because I figure that's just another one I might be able to hunt at some point. Plus, I suck at finding dens.

Scott, I respect that. Can you please elaborate on how you can positively identify a "wet" female in the field before shooting one?

Back