changing out a butt pad pad on a HS presicion stock

BOBTAILS

I have a HS stock that has a thin butt pad labeled remington on it. I believe it came off a vssfII I would like to change it out to a nice limb saver . It doesn't have any screws that hold it on, that I can find. Any idea hope its held on and how do I get it off?

I know some of the Remington ones are held in by the rear swivel stud. But they are hallow, and the HS is solid, right?

My BC stocks have screws, very fin slits in the pacmayer pad. I believe that's the same pad as your stock. Drag your fingers tightly along and maybe you can find some.

It's probably pegged and glued or epoxied in place. Maybe a heat gun? I'm just spit balling here.

Quote:pad removal & replacement from HS stocks is done all the time, mostly to facilitate adding weight to the stock by filling the cavity with a mixture of lead shot and epoxy.

1) The pad IS glued on.
2) The pad IS easily removed, here's how:
Dismount the stock from the rifle and put the entire stock in the freezer. If you don't have a freezer compartment large enough for the stock, put the butt down into a cooler full of ice water for about an hour. This will harden the glue and make it brittle.
**Carefully** use the side of a putty knife against the junction of the pad/stock, and tap the other edge with a light hammer. The glue will break, releasing the pad with no damage to the stock.
Clean the glue off while the stock is still cold, or drop it back into the freezer/cooler awhile to keep it brittle. While the glue is cold, it cleanly chips away and is not the big mess some folks seem to think.
Once the stock is clean and smooth, you are now ready to install the new pad.

The core of an HS Precision 5R stock is relatively soft foam that will NOT hold a screw during normal use. It WILL hold a long screw securely enough to complete the fitting process.

Once fitting is complete, re-glue the pad with a two part epoxy, with or without the screws.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogNot to hi-jack, but what about a Micky? Same thing?
The older McMillans were epoxied on. I can't speek for the new ones. If you dont see wholes for screws then I'd imagine it is.

Back