Cabelas Alaknak vs Canvas Wall Tent

TimberDawwg

Anyone have any personal experience with the Cabelas Alaknak Tents? We need to buy another tent for Elk Hunting in Colorado, and I was debating buying the Alaknak, but have found some reviews that said there were moisture issues with the.

It will be used in Colorado for Elk hunting in Late October and hopefully in Wyoming next year for Antelope hunting. This is a big investment and if it's not worth the money I will go ahead and shell out the cash for a Canvas Wall Tent.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

My buddy has the Alaknak with all the goodies, vestibules, stove section etc. He simply uses a big buddy heater and that place is like a house inside, minus the side wall height. But hes had no issues, wind, rain or snow.

Well I don't have the Alaknak but did look at them hard and was going to buy one. But Cabelas ran there ISQ tent on sale too cheap for me to pass up. And I reall like it alot. I have only set it up in the yard but am planning to use it in Wyoming next year on antelope if I can draw a dang tag. It seems really well made and I want to get a couple of the add ons for it like floor liner and vestibule. I+ would have been happy with the alaknak just went with the best price. On the eastman forum there is a review on my tent by a guy who also has one who loves it. Might check it out

http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showthread.php/632-Cabelas-ISQ-review-1

Last edited:
I have the Alaknak in the 12x12 model, with the optional vestibule.
100_4530.jpg

My buddy has the 13x20 version (with vestibule).
I have no complaints with either tent.
I think the Alaknak will be cheaper than the canvas wall tent.
The frame-work for the wall tents can get expensive (unless you make it), in addition to the cost of the tent.
The Cabelas tents will be lighter in weight and smaller in packed size than the canvas wall tents, and less prone to mold or mildew.
It was cold enough that there was snow in the trees then this pic was taken, just not out in the clearing where we camped. I have not had any issues with moisture or condensation inside the tent. I do have a nice cylinder stove in it though, which really keeps it warm and dry.
If you have any specific questions, just ask here or send a pm.

My hunting partner got one back around 2000. Great tent. We had one trip when we had a bit of a puddle at the lowest corner, but that was from doing a lot of water boiling while cooking. Problem solved by either cooking directly under a window or out in the vestibule. Great tent with the stove. Supposedly the ceiling vents on the newer tents are a little bigger to alleviate humidity. Wish I had one.

I have been using an Alaknak for about 6-7 years and have had no complaints. We dont use a stove just a big buddy heater. Fixing to take it to the selway in Idaho for bear season, probably get tested again in the rain there.

Just bought the Alaknak last month and spent 4 nights in it at the base of Mt. Borah in Idaho. Awesome tent easy to set up and didnt budge in heavy winds. We used a propane heater and left the vents open, didnt have a problem with moisture. Cabelas had a sale on them last month.

5.jpg

DSCN1083.jpg

Last edited:
Back