Va. dog down

VaHowler

Went out with my buddy Clinton saturday evening about 7:00. Got set up on a gas line right-of-way where it comes out of a big thicket and meets a 50 acre field. We thought we knew about where these coyotes were denning a few hundred yards to the east. The wind was kind of quartering from the field to the back end of the thicket so we set up across from each other where I could see a ways down the right-of-way to my left, and he could see down the right of way and also the back end of the field. I let out a couple interrogation howls with the TC diaphragm and the whole pack lit up about 500 yds. or so down the gas line off in the thick stuff a little to the left side. After they settled down and maybe 5 minutes later, I ripped off a couple challenge howls and waited. Within minutes here comes a yote trotting up the gas line, coming right to us. When she got about 150 yds. away and was coming down the hill she stopped and surveyed the situation. That was close enough for me. I sent 52 grains of hollow point at her right front shoulder. She immediately went into a spin and was biting at her shoulder. Sent another pill to ease the pain, and she went down. The first shot was right on the money and even though it went through her long ways she still was tough enough to stay on her feet. I was amazed!
Anyway I was surprised to find it was a female as I was expecting the old male dog to defend his turf. She was 30 lbs. even and had been nursing but looked to be drying up already.
I know someone will probably feel the need to comment on killing a female this time of year, but the landowner was happy and wants me to come back, and thats all I'm going to say about that. Happy hunting to all. Kevin
016.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a little upset and down UNTIL you posted this. Lol. Way to go brother. Got the blood going again. Ever want to hookup and go out PM me.

Great hunt!!!

No problem with it I have a landowner that wants them gone too. I'm gonna keep after them and will shoot which everone presents the shot male or female. Nice shooting by the way.

Good job preserving the whitetail and turkey population. Now go kill 20 groundhogs and say 5 Hail Mary's and you will be forgiven for what you have taken
lol.gif
. Sincerely, great job on an Eastern nuisance species.

Glad I could brighten your day Thermolok.
smile.gif
Ditto on the hooking up!

Thanks to the rest of you guys too.
I just wanted to let the naysayers know up front that I was not interested in their opinions.

Have a great day! Kevin

Great job Kevin! Glad to see those TC's are working for ya! They are deadly!

And yeah, i have a comment about killing a female...KEEP IT UP! Doing that kind of stuff for the landowners insures you get to keep coming back. You probably just saved some fawns and baby turkeys...

Congrats again man!

Congrats on the kill.
thumbup.gif
As far as the female thing is concerned, I didn't care what sex it was when I saw a coyote chasing one my calves down on my place a couple of weeks ago.
cursing.gif

Besides, some studies show that Mother Nature has a way of having a bigger crop of young'ens the next year if the population gets a little low. Go figure.
confused.gif
Just keep them comin'.
thumbup1.gif

Congrats man, keep it up. Thanks for the info on the type of calls and i found it interestingto here u pulled her out into a clearing like tht, that was a big question for me, wether or not to they will come out into a field

But but but what about its pups now they will never know who there mommy is
cry.gif

Hahaha go shoot two more for good measure good job buddy keep after them

Nice going. That is a rather large coyote by the looks of it.

Seems that pups are out early this year, apparently due to the warm weather. A friend told me yesterday that a gas well employee spotted a coyote with three pups recently, probably 1/4 mile from my farm. I didn't think they had been born yet, let alone out and about.

As for anyone badmouthing you taking the coyote, hopefully that won't happen. We all have our reasons for doing what we do, even if it doesn't coincide with someone else.

I generally don't hunt the summer months, because if I do, I may lessen my opportunities for the winter. I would also shoot them in summer if they were causing real damage, so no problem here either way.

What rifle were you shooting? Maybe a 22-250 due to the 52 gr. bullet?

Thanks. I was shooting my Mod 7 Predator in .223. I switched from Nosler 50 gr. ballistic tips to Sierra 52 gr. Matchking during fur season because they seem a little more fur friendly. They're very accurate as well but I think I'm going back to the nosler until winter comes back around.

I saw some fairly large fox pups in west Virginia last week. My buddy got all over me for not killing them since a fox has been taking out his chickens (or so he assumes)

Anyways, I was surprised how developed they were for this time of year. They looked about 50 percent grown.

Last edited:
Back