Detachable Bottom Metal

coleridge

Looking into building a gun for tactical competitions (for some reason there are many more tactical matches than anything else).

I've got the hard parts of the build covered but thought some of you guys could cut the learning curve for me for the bottom metal. By far the most popular seem to be for the AICS magazines. However, even with the 5 round, there is substatial "bulk" sticking out of the stock; plus most have the paddel that also hangs low (which is no problem as long as there is mag in). My question is, other than HS Precision, does anyone make a bottom metal that will accept up to a 10 round mag but also have the option of a flush or semi-flush magazine?

Also any suggestions are welcome from those with knowledge about the subject. I just think an option of a flush mag just sees like it would be nice (cut down on the bulk), I'm sure I'd use the gun for other things & I have never had the need for 10 shots from a centerfire ever... Even a flush low round count mag would be fine.

Thanks!

This is what I was looking at when I thought about a DBM. Price is pretty good compared to others as well. Not sure if this is what you were looking for.
CDI Precision

I'm no expert on these by any means, but I did a lot of research into DBM's before deciding I wasn't going to get into Tac match shooting myself. My understanding is that the AICS mags are as tough as they come and that is why most makers use a DMB system to utilize the AI or AE mags.

This was coming out right as I was ditching the idea of a DBM. He is on Snipers Hide.
Hooper Ordinance
Can't say I know much about them, but did remember him making a version with the recessed mag release. Hope that helps.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeMy question is, other than HS Precision, does anyone make a bottom metal that will accept up to a 10 round mag but also have the option of a flush or semi-flush magazine?

Thanks!

HS is the only one, and they discontinued theirs a while back.

Seekins and Surgeon don't have exposed levers hanging down, and Badger and CDI do.
My favorite is the Seekins with AICS mags. I'd love to have a 2 or 3 round mag too, but I've never seen one.

Here's the Seekins:

028.jpg

The Hooper, Surgeon, APA, RAD, and Seekins all have a lower profile mag release. Jared Joplin from American Precision Arms posted pictures of a cut down AI mag that held three rounds, and was flush with the stock on snipers hide.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeJeff, is that a 10rd mag ?

Nope, it's a 5 round.

Joe M, thanks for the info. I'll look for it.

Thanks for the info guys & keep it coming. I would really like to hear opinions, pro's & con's of each manufacture. Is the lower profile options harder to opperate?

A 2-3 round flush mag would be perfect for me in the woods.Then the 10 round could be added when needed. Who shoots many times on a stand? I don't understand why they are not more commercially offered low round count mags. Do people paticularly like bulky rifles?

Also, any thoughts on A/W mags? Stiller is porting his Tac actions to accept those now...

I have minimal experience with the high end DBM. Trying to get it right the first time. Thanks again for any comments.

I am gathering pieces for a .223 AI right now . I went with the PT&G stealth Bottom metal it is exactly the same as BO M5. And am going to run the 10 round AICS mags with mine. I wish I could get some 5 rounders but am told they don't make any that accepts the 223 bullets.

I hope someone corrects me and tells me I am wrong, cause I would rather shoot the 5 round mags.

Sorry to the OP, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI hope someone corrects me and tells me I am wrong, cause I would rather shoot the 5 round mags.

Rob, the 10-round version is the only one I've ever seen for the .223 caliber.
A 5 would be nice.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI hope someone corrects me and tells me I am wrong, cause I would rather shoot the 5 round mags.

Rob, the 10-round version is the only one I've ever seen for the .223 caliber.
A 5 would be nice.

I guess I will order a couple 10 rounders then
cry.gif

I have heard of people having success cutting down the plastic 10 round mags as well, but I haven't tried it yet myself. I don't think anyone else makes a plastic 5 round mag that will fit.

I have two 10 rd AI mags, going to do surgery on one and try to make a 5 rd. Wish they were metal and not polymer, would be much easier to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: coleridgeMy question is, other than HS Precision, does anyone make a bottom metal that will accept up to a 10 round mag but also have the option of a flush or semi-flush magazine?

Thanks!

Seekins and Surgeon don't have exposed levers hanging down, and Badger and CDI do.
My favorite is the Seekins with AICS mags. I'd love to have a 2 or 3 round mag too, but I've never seen one.

I don't think HS discontinued theirs they were redesigning it I just got there new gen 2 DM bottom metal for my 22/250AI it looks good so far and the short magboxes only stick out a little more than the older ones plus they still have the 10 rounders

I've got the original Seekins Precision DBM system that uses Glen's proprietary single stack magazines. It feeds & functions great in my rifle, but I'm stuck using those mags & don't have the option to run AICS flavored ones in a pinch...

5 rd single stack
GAP243003.jpg

GAP243008.jpg

Last edited:
I think sometimes the singlestack are really nice. I am anxious to see how far the AICS 10 rounders hang down below the stock. I am not a big fan of a nice bolt rifle looking like a AR. Anybody have any pics of them inserted in and ready to rock?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: coleridgeMy question is, other than HS Precision, does anyone make a bottom metal that will accept up to a 10 round mag but also have the option of a flush or semi-flush magazine?

Thanks!

I'm not 100% sure but I think HS is in the process of building them again, they just redesigned them.

Back