Your preference BB vs 4 buck?

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I was thinking of trying this 4 buck load-
http://www.basspro.com/Winchester-SuperX-Magnum-Buckshot-Shotshells/product/61654/49717
I don't buy some of the range claims made in the reviews but with 54 pellets I'd be very surprised if a follow up shot would be needed within 45 yds at any reasonable shot angle.

If they pattern well they should work as well as anything else. Shotguns are so darned finicky sometimes they pattern one load substantially better than another nearly identical load. And sometimes I've seen a load with fewer pellets actually put more on target with better patterns. It's all about the actual patterns from your particular barrel and choke and how well the particular load agrees/disagrees with that specific combination.

I killed a lot of coyotes with copper coated bb's and #4 buck.

The only time I had any trouble with either was when I was using a modified choke that did not pattern tight enough. As soon as my choke went to full, my problems were over.

I also found that keeping the plastic material out of the barrel allows the barrel to shoot better patterns.

There were times when none of the BB's or #4 buck worked, but it was because I was shooting behind the coyotes that were running like a grey hound at the race track.

If GC says that tungsten kills better than lead, I would take that info to the bank.

Last edited:
I have gone to the tungsten. I used the Remmy HD for awhile then could not find it so I switched to the Dead Coyote. I tried number 4 buck in Remington and Fedral but I didnt get the patterns I did with the tungsten. A friend had an old freezer he was taking to the dump so we did some penetration test on it. At 55 yards the tungsten had tighter patterns and complete penetration, the lead dented pretty good but did not penetrate.
I guess whatever you use I think we can all agree you need to pattern it to determine your effective range and assure POI is the same as POA. We all hunt i n such different country that there can never be one right answer to almost any question.

I go with 4 buck lead!

Back in the day, when we could get aerial gunning permits for coyotes I cut my teeth with double barreled side by side in 10 ga. full choked 32" barrels.

I had the notion that GC had about a TIGHT pattern and a smaller shot.

Been there ......... QUIT THAT!

When I used 4 buck lead ........ I hammered dogs. When I got to handloading I switched to nickel plated BB's in lead and got a pattern to "write home about" ........ I mean TIGHT!

Some friends of mine shot a coyote that was acting funny ..... on our place ...... they peeled it's hide off only to find a whole bunch of BB sized shot all up and down it's back .........

Back to FOUR buck I went!

No more misses, no more run offs!

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: Roger LondonHere in good ole KY the state decides for us. The biggest shot we can use is BB, so wingmaster HD-BB for me.

They now allow us to use buckshot for furbearers.

Well I placed an order for a couple boxes of those 2 3/4" Rem HD tungsten loads at BPS yesterday along with a pair of the Columbia hiking boots they have on sale.I was tempted to order a few other loads and Carlsons Coyote choke but our coyote season ended Sunday so I'll wait and see how the boots fit.If that doesn't work out I'll exchange them for the choke.FYI if anybody's interested the 50% off boot deal looks pretty sweet-
http://www.basspro.com/Columbia-Packus-Ridge-OmniTech-Hiking-Shoes-for-Men/product/104008/149898

I use a combination of copper plated BB's and 4 buck. I load my BB's for the first shot as most of my first shots are at coyotes coming strait to me. Most of my shotgun shots are under 40 yards and I virtually never have to take a follow up shot. That said I found on multiple dogs my second shot is usually at one leaving and the buckshot has done better shooting at dogs leaving. often these do require a follow-up shot but I feel the 4 buck penetrates better shooting through the hind end of coyotes. I have shot hundreds of coyotes with a shotgun and found on our desert dogs this results in the best results for me YMMV. I have not tried any of the heavy shots as I just don't feel that for the cost they will work any better. That said I virtually never shoot over 40 yards. If it is open enough to shoot further than that I have a rifle in my hands.

drscott

I like drscott's idea.

The first coyote to the call will likely be facing and presenting it's softer side. The rest of them will be late for the back 40 and need more umph!

Now, the advent of new heavier shot materials presents a new window of opportunity, if there's one thing universal about predator hunters, it's that we pretty much adapt to new technology!!

It would be interesting to see smaller shot vs. 4 buck but across the board, heavy shot in action. And ...... I just got a new to me Rem 870 magnum 12 ga. with a 28" and three chokes just in time for the spring rush!!

Three 44s

Tungsten BB or T shot out penetrates lead Four Buck. In the big sticky thread above derbyacresbob did some penetration testing in bound catalogs. It was a very informative and interesting test and the clear winner for overall penetration is the smaller tungsten shot.

anyone try the new DC #4 buck? It may be pretty sweet

mostly I use BB, but do have 4buck around as well, right now my gun seems to like both fairly well, but havent sat down and really Hit the pattern board with a ton of different combos yet.

I just ordered another 30 boxes of the REM UHD 1-1/4 oz Tungsten BB loads from Bass Pro Shops.

Right now the Hevi-Shot 3" Waterfowl "B" 1-1/2 oz loads are selling for $4.00 to $4.50 per shell.

The 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz Rem HD loads loads are $1.00 per shell.

So for just 1/4 oz less shot the shells are $3.00 cheaper per shell. It is cheaper to buy the Ren UHD Tunsten BB shells and take the shot out of them then to just buy tungsten shot for reloading tungsten shells.

The price of Tungsten shot has gone WAY UP!

If you bought ITX shot from BPI right now it would cost $1.43 for 1-1/4 oz of shot.

If you bought Hevi-Shot "B" shot right now to reload from BPI it would cost $2.55 per 1-1/4 oz of shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanOne thing they never tried on larger size shot is making it out of pure linotype, it does not deform.

I've never heard of it.How does it compare to lead as far as pellet weight goes?Non toxic?

What limited experience I have shotgunning coyotes the plated 4 buck has worked very well for me. I am limited to less than 50yds because of my set-up, I hunt them from a tree stand in a pecan bottom. I tried the HD BB and lead BB but had a few blown opportunities(poor penetration due to angles), and went back to the plated 4 buck.

Back