Jumping in...

TNYotehntr

Got tired of ya'll having all the fun with dogs...
smile.gif
I broke down and bought a hunting buddy a couple weeks ago. He's a 7 month old Mountain Cur. The fella that had him was training him in a pen for hog hunting, he said he'd torn the ears off all his penned hogs so I guess he's got some grit. lol I have a lot of obedience training to do, he's had none. After 2 weeks he's heeling and sitting, taking my time and trying to "nail" everything one sure step at a time. Well here are a couple pics of Max..

Max1.gif

2012-03-24_12-40-04_435.gif

He's a beauty !

I wish I had been aware of the cur abilities many dogs ago. I could blabber for hours on how much I have enjoyed the BMC pup I got last fall. She's only six months old but has already proven herself capable of anything expected of her. Trainable, gamey and smart. I am a cur man now.

IMG_1558.jpg

doh2.gif
Oh yeah... I'm a good un huh? lol Plan to use him on these TN coyotes. Mostly for recovery, but hope to get some decoying action in too. That's not always possible (IMO) in the thick stuff I hunt in, but there are some open area's too. It'll be a play it by ear type thing.
wink.gif

Be careful getting one that young out this time of year, the coyotes are really aggressive and might ruin a pup. My big dog got bit yesterday by one that came out of nowhere.

Good looking pup Brad. I acquire hog dogs and cattle dogs that have too much grit for their job. Perfect for what I'm doing. Pour on the obedience, train to the tone collar, and get coyotes in front of him. He'll be your best friend and asset on stand.

Congrats!

Tony

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: SHamptonBe careful getting one that young out this time of year, the coyotes are really aggressive and might ruin a pup. My big dog got bit yesterday by one that came out of nowhere.

Thanks for the advice! I will take that one to heart for sure. Coming out of nowhere around here is just about everywhere! The underbrush is already green, and the ticks are in full blossom. lol

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeGood looking pup Brad. I acquire hog dogs and cattle dogs that have too much grit for their job. Perfect for what I'm doing. Pour on the obedience, train to the tone collar, and get coyotes in front of him. He'll be your best friend and asset on stand.

Congrats!

Tony

I had the same thinking on his aggressiveness... I do hope it doesn't get him into trouble with the coyotes though! I don't want to make the vet's around here any richer! But glad to hear he can hold his own... of course you never know what will happen until it does.

I already bought a good collar for him, and the training is moving forward! Can't wait to see him in action! (All in due time though)
wink.gif

great looking dog! I do love a brindle. I have all plotts that I use on cats and bear and will start em on yotes this year. I haven't tried a cur, yet. I am looking to get my oldest son his first hunting dog, and he wants a cur, so trying to narrow it down, should we get a bmc, a mountain cur, a cat or? So many dogs, so little time, I would own one of each if I could afford to feed em!

Back