.222 Remington/36 grain Barnes VG load

White Smoke

Does anyone have a load for a 222 Remington using a 36-grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullet? I'm thinking of using H335, 4198 or Superformance. Any suggestions? Thanks.

First of all, WELCOME TO PM'S FORUM
grin.gif

On powder choice, IMR-4198 has long been a favorite in the "Deuce" for me. With your 36gr bullet, around 19.0gr's will be your top end. Work up carefully.

As for the other two powders, H-335, and Superformance, I would steer clear. They are both ball powders, and as such are temperature sensitive. In So. Cal, this could be an issue. As for the superform, the only thing its good for, is lighting a fire, IMO.

If you really want to get your .222 Rem. fly'n, try some IMR-8208 XBR.
thumbup1.gif

I've never been able to get those Varmint Grenades to shoot well, maybe it's just me.

My go to in .222 was always IMR4198 and 52gr. SBTMK

Thanks for the replies, especially about the 8208 XBR powder. I'll give that a try first and use the 4198 as a backup. I have a slightly tricked out Remington 788 (1:14 twist) that shoots half-inch groups using factory Hornady 40-grain V-Max bullets. I'm going to start reloading again and, from all (most) reports I've seen, the 222's with a 1:14 twist don't like bullets over 55 grains. Mine loves the 40-grain V-Max so I thought I would try the 36-grain VG just to see what happens. I can always go back to the V-Max.

My Rem 700 likes 19.5g of 4198 with a 52g matchking. It will shoot 5 into 1/2" when I do my part. This is book max load for this combo and shoots at just over 3000 FPS.

Back