Suppressed Sage Rat Slaughter!!

sendit223

I just got back from a day of shooting sage rats in Oregon at Duane Freilino's place (Shooting Services Unlimited). It was awesome! I took a couple of my boys, two suppressed ARs, and a suppressed 10/22. Duane greeted us at about 9 am and turned us loose on a pivot that was absolutely infested with sage rats.

IMG_2333.jpg

Duane said “most guys shoot until they run out of ammo or just get tired of shooting rats.” Since I brought over 2000 rounds of ammo I figured the former was not possible. And the latter, well, I don’t recall ever being tired of shooting stuff. Well it happened! By about 2:30 or so I was actually tired of shooting rats. Bang-splat. Bang-splat. Bang Bang Splat Splat. It was endless.

Duane set us up on these GREAT shooting tables from DOA Tactical that made it tooooo easy to sit and shoot sage rats all day long. When we got started we could easily see over a hundred sage rats less than 100 yards from us, and more than that beyond. We set up 3 DOA seats about 100 yards apart and let the lead fly. Unbelievable shooting.

IMG_2328.jpg

Eventually we broke for lunch and my boys were as giddy as I was at the shooting. They are spoiled now. I had to warn them about heating the barrels up ahead of time and that turned out to be useful advice. After lunch we moved the chairs up about 250 yards and the shooting got even better. It was crazy. The combination of dense sage rat populations with the DOA shooting platform and my ARs made for an active day. The suppressed 10/22 was also very popular with all three of us. Shooting suppressed is the only way to go. Due to the high volume of shooting we still wore electronic ear muffs, but it was easy to hear the bullet impacts.

IMG_2327.jpg

At about 5:30 we ran low on ammo and called it a day. If you ever thought of going on a sage rat hunt give Duane a call. His rates are extremely competitive (half of others) and he will put you on rats until you run out of ammo or get sick of shooting them just like he says. Kids 12 and under shoot for free too, as Duane does his part to get kids into shooting. Thanks Duane it was a great shoot. We will be back.

Sendit

http://shootersservicesunlimited.com/page14.php

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool story! That is awesome you took your kids; they will remember that for sure! Great story and pics. Oh and yes; suppressed is best!

Originally Posted By: wahoowadThat sounded like so much fun! What kind of max distances did you try to shoot?

The way we set up on the field we had them from 30 yards to about 275 and we killed rats at all distances. I even had one at 5 feet that let me take a poke at him with a Buckmark (suppressed!). I'm not sure how I missed, but he only came back out one more time after that.

Though the photo above shows white box Win ammo, that was just left over stuff. We used mainly Fiocchi 40 gr and 50 gr and they were devestating (accurate/explosive). The pictures I have I can't post.

Sendit

Yeah Tim it is about exactly where you and the rest of the PM group are headed. You should go meet Duane as you will be in rock throwing distance from him.

You are going to have a ball.

Originally Posted By: 223PeteVery cool story! That is awesome you took your kids; they will remember that for sure!

They sure will! They came up with their own ways to describe the types of hits:

1. plain old "pop"
2. explosion
3. quiver
4. kartwheel
5. launch left
6. launch right
and the best one of all......
7. break dancing!!!

I can't wait to go back.

Originally Posted By: sendit223Originally Posted By: 223PeteVery cool story! That is awesome you took your kids; they will remember that for sure!

7. break dancing!!!

I can't wait to go back.

Ahahahaha!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sendit223Originally Posted By: 223PeteVery cool story! That is awesome you took your kids; they will remember that for sure!

1. plain old "pop"
2. explosion
3. quiver
4. kartwheel
5. launch left
6. launch right
and the best one of all......
7. break dancing!!!

I can't wait to go back.
Dat's funny !! Nice Job Dad !
I can see alot of $$ spent on ammo in those boys futures .
lol.gif

Oh man, you aren't kidding. I'm glad that Fiocchi VMAX works so well as it keeps the cost down. I guess if it were all about cost I'd just use .22s. But the .223 makes such an impression I couldn't leave them at home!

"Launch left/right" was very accurate. I was amazed at the distances they would go. We even had one "separation explosion" impact that launched the, um, head....a full 25 feet beyond the mound. The tail section was another 10 feet in the other direction.

Sendit

Wow I can't wait till May, a friend and I are headed out to Duane's. I hope I have enough ammo, how much did you burn in each rifle? I'm taking a couple 22's, and the AR's in 204 and 223AI.

Cool pics, I didn't know he supplied shooting tables.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWow I can't wait till May, a friend and I are headed out to Duane's.
You guys are going to have a great time. I have been to Duane's twice now and we had a great shoot both times.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI hope I have enough ammo, how much did you burn in each rifle?
We went through about 2500 rounds I believe. The action was essentially non-stop. We only moved the tables once, but when we did so it was bang-splat bang-splat bang-splat. I have never had shooting like this. We could have moved the tables again, but there really wasn't any point.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI didn't know he supplied shooting tables.
He did for us and you should call him to confirm. These are GREAT tables. DOA Tactical is not a sponsor I don't believe, so I can't post a link but you can google it and see the video demo. I can't say enough about the seat/table combo. The company owner says "I want this to be the last shooting bench you buy". I believe he has a product that will live up to that expectation.

Sendit

I'm glad you and the boys had a great time. Thats my goal for everyone.
I have 4 of the DOA tables for use, along with some elevated home made benches.
We had nasty weather the last few days, wind snow squalls, 40 degree highs. A shooter left this evening after 3 days of shooting, he shot 5 bricks of .22 shells.
With nice weather, this year is gonna get insane.

Duane if Monday's shoot wasn't insane I don't know what is! Of course we had the sunny day with no wind after the bad weather.

You guys did a poor job of killin rats.... I had two guys in the same feild today, they shot from 10:30 till 3pm, and burned just over 1000 rnds.
You and the boys will have to come back for another go, you have to "redeem yourselves". HAHAHHA!!!!!

Well Duane I just got the rifles all cleaned up and an order delivered from Midway, so we'll have to see if we can shoot even more this time!

Back