Whats my twist rate?

Stalker

I have a Winchester Model 70 SA 22-250 Heavy Varmint that I want to reload for but I have no idea what the twist rate is. Did this model only come in one twist rate? If so, what is it and what grain bullets would be optimal?

Originally Posted By: StalkerI have a Winchester Model 70 SA 22-250 Heavy Varmint that I want to reload for but I have no idea what the twist rate is. Did this model only come in one twist rate? If so, what is it and what grain bullets would be optimal?

It only came in 14" twist.

Usable Bullets would be:

Plastic tipped bullets, any of the 50gr and lighter are ideal.

If you load it hard, then the 55gr BlitzKing, the Ballistic tip, and V-max, and the new (and great) 53 V-max will usually shoot well (but might not).

For regular soft points and hollow points, up to 55gr is fine.

thanks larr, I knew there was a way to figure it out but I couldn't remember for sure.

Originally Posted By: larrtry this site and it will show you how to find the twist rate of your barrel
twist rate

Push a patch or brush through the barrel and it unscrews. PULL a brush into the muzzle, then put a piece of masking tape on the rod either at the action or against the back of a rod guide. Mark the top. Then pull it back until the mark is on top again. Measure from edge of the tape to the edge of wherever it started. That's the twist rate. Takes about as long as it took to write this.

Back