scope or reflex/holographic sight w/magnifier

jrcampbell

thinking of putting a reflex/holographic sight with a magnifier on my ar instead of a scope. opinions...
Can't hunt with an ar in PA but am taking it to kansas this fall and will make some more out of state trips in the future. only problem is i have no idea what one looks like with a magnifier with it and no of nowhere to test these out.

I have a Eotech on my AR. I really like it. I don't have a magnifier and really don't see aneed for it. To me it is just something extra to buy. If I was going to do that I would put a scope on it. Good Luck on Your Choice.

my two cents...If you have no intentions of using night vision go with the scope. if you are using it for hunting deer, coyote, chucks, - go with a scope. eotech's are good for fast target acquisition. precision shooting is not an eotech but they will kill out 200. the problem is you need to by the 3x magnifier for day use past 100 on small targets. plus it comes in handy for sighting in purposes. Now with the magnifier your over $1000.00 i would by a trijicon mil dot. If you do go with the eotech try cals sporting. they were the cheapest when i went looking for one, or try to get a 10 percent of product review from optics planet.

another problem is low light with eotech, you can see better in low light with a good scope.

I like my eotech but only for the NV capabilities.

I went with 1-4x Accupoint with green triangle reticle. At 1x I can use it like a holosight. If I need some power I can crank it up to 4x.

I have a Bushnell Holosight and prefer the Accupoint.

I just put a Eotech on my carbine AR that I mostly use for a pick-up truck rifle / home defense and wonder how I did without it...but... on my go too coyote/varmit AR I went with a Bushnell Elite 4x12x40. If your AR is going to be mainly for coyotes I would also stick with the scope or, save your money and buy one if each (the scope first) , since the AR platform is so easy to switch out optics on.

I just got one of these new Burris MTAC scopes in. It's for a RRA upper with a 16" 8 twist stainless barrel that I have ordered for night hunting with lights and close range day hunting. The ballistic reticle is lighted and has a nice setup for intensity changes.

I got the 1.5-6x40 model. It might be an option for you. I haven't tried it yet as my upper is not in but after getting my hands on it I think it's going to work for me.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mtac1.html#15x6x (This pic does not show the knob on the left for the lighted reticle)

I paid $346 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Back