Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2198475 - 04/10/12 08:27 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: TonyTebbe]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By: TonyTebbe
Well written Tim. Alot of information and just and enjoyable read.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Yes, INDEED!
That was incredible, thanks for sharing your knowledge, DTOM!

Tony, I'd sure like to know how you handle that situation while catering to clients during denning season. After all, that is the "prime time" for decoy doggin' right?

Do you do the extra work, or choose to leave pups in the ground to "feed the badgers", as Mason stated he does?

#2198483 - 04/10/12 08:37 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: knockemdown]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW Arkansas
Fred, you may have said but what is your opinion? Is it legal to hunt in May and June in NY? I know here is Arkansas I have no option but to quit during that time because season is closed. How about you? Are you forced to quit or just your choice to quit?

#2198495 - 04/10/12 08:55 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: btech29]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Loc: NY
NY coyote season opens 10/1 and runs through 3/25.
PA to the south of where I hunt in NY has no closed season.
If I did choose to hunt in PA for my own selfish reasons of seeing my dog work, I'd do so with the intention of handling whatever is necessary after taking an adult.
Since I've absolutely ZERO experience with that situation, I usually only hunt in PA in September, a month before NY season opens...
SO, to answer your question, I quit by choice. I want as many coyotes to make it to the fall/winter as possible because that is my 'fun time' to call them. Even if the dog makes 'em leave!

Edited by knockemdown (04/10/12 09:01 PM)

#2198507 - 04/10/12 09:11 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: knockemdown]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: BAOklahoma
You can see their bags.

#2198527 - 04/10/12 09:38 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

I can respect your opinion Fred. I also respect those who choose to hunt. If its legal then more power to ya.

#2198530 - 04/10/12 09:41 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Loc: nowheresville
Originally Posted By: SHampton
You can see their bags.

I beg the big dipper with you SHampton. A nursing female will not "always be "bagged". See my fox video above in this thread.

One more thing while I've wedged myself into this discussion. When a pr of coyotes are on the move, traveling, hunting whatever. The female is almost always(more often than not...9 out of 10x, ect) in the lead. While the male brings up the rear or is the lag coyote.

The female is also the most aprehensive/wary of the two. As she will check-up if something isn't right. That is when the male will often take the lead "temporarily". Once everything has checked out as "normal" Then the female will again take over the lead. Where she goes, the male follows. She sets the tempo.

Edited by kirby (04/10/12 09:50 PM)

#2198541 - 04/10/12 09:54 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: kirby]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

When their close you can see em pretty good most of the time.

#2198544 - 04/10/12 10:01 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Here is a nursing Red from last yr. The only sign you can tell she is nursing other than watching her pups feed. Is her belly fur is thin & her nipples are dark.

Non-bagged nursing female.

BTW, I don't give a hoot whether a hunter tags one or not.

Edited by kirby (04/10/12 10:03 PM)

#2198545 - 04/10/12 10:04 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
btech29 Offline
Die Hard Member II

You got better eyes than me Scott. lol

#2198573 - 04/10/12 10:34 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: btech29]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

I shot 1 wet female last year. I'm not sayin you can see it everytime I'm sayin I saw several with big bags like a pet dog and didn't shoot them.

#2198589 - 04/10/12 10:58 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
If you are wanting to reduce yote numbers,kill the adults, and let the dogs back track to the den, and kill the pups, pretty simple.
As it was said before, if the state you are in allows it, then you can hunt/kill yotes any way within the law.that includes useing decoy dogs to there potential around dens in the spring. I'll say that killing pups ain't fun, but it dam sure reduces the # of dead calves,and other spring babies.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#2198606 - 04/10/12 11:26 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: SHampton
I shot 1 wet female last year. I'm not sayin you can see it everytime I'm sayin I saw several with big bags like a pet dog and didn't shoot them.

10-4, SHampton I don't doubt you. I was merely making a point about nursing females. So others may learn.

Edited by kirby (04/10/12 11:27 PM)

#2198613 - 04/10/12 11:32 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: kirby]
SHampton Offline
Die Hard Member II

I understand.

#2198816 - 04/11/12 11:51 AM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: SHampton]
Catdawg Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Nevada
Fred- You missed my points by a long ways. I know a lot of the dogs behind your pup and you are right, if they weren't good dogs they would have caught a bullet. I also know how the wrong area can really handicap a pup. I've raised hounds here in the desert and up in the mountains and there is a huge difference.

I said "In the right country" a guy could do better with a Cane Corso than you have with Pokey. I wasn't putting you or the dog down at all, I was simply implying that a guy could go out and have some fun with his dog. Call BS all you want, you don't have any idea about how coyotes act out here and in good spots, a guy could bring more in with the dogs in a weekend than you have. It's not apples to apples at all.

It is amazing how much you have to know, to realize how little you actually do know. You're not there yet my friend.

One last question for you Fred: Deer, Horses and Cows all eat the same thing, grass. Yet Deer drop pellets, Horses drop apples and Cows leave pies... Why is that?

Take care.

#2198838 - 04/11/12 12:26 PM Re: What makes a coyote chase a dog? [Re: Catdawg]
DTOM Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far from the crowds
Mason- I don't know why but I've had dogs that would slurp each up like they were candy. I've got one female now that can't pass a cowpie up without doing a barrel roll into it. Nasty dog.

Take care.

Tim

Dont Tread On Me

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.