Pics now added...Want your opinion...Please watch!

canislatrans54

Hey y'all,
This is my 1st attempt at posting a "vid/sound file".
I'm using the video ability on my camera.
So, I apologize that the video & the sound don't match up.
grin.gif

And, yes, I realize now after hearing it, that maybe the sound quality isn't quite what it would be in person.
blush.gif

Anyway, I'm just hoping to get some honest feedback on the sounds. (NOT on my calling style.)
grin.gif

The customer asked for a call that would kinda be a cross between a "Snowshoe Hare & a Red Fox".
I have listened intently several times to those sounds over on the FoxPro site.
And, so far, this is what I've come up with.

The sounds in the vid: "Raspy" Snowshoe/Fox; then "clear" Snowshoe; then "bird trills"; and lastly, Pronghorn distress.

The call, which isn't quite finished (therefore not shown) is a cowhorn tip body, w/RR1 'board.
I'm actually using a pair of .0075" mil reeds, of my own design, stacked on top of each other. The top reed has 3 "dimples" in it to hopefully keep the reeds from sticking together. And the top reed tip is placed about 1/16" "behind" the lower reed, to give more rasp.

Thanks for watching/listening, & giving me your feedback!

To watch the video, "Left click" once on the picture below.
It should start playing after a few seconds of delay.....

Last edited:
Sounds like whatever board you are using or that you have made will do all sounds very well. Hard to tell via the video how loud it is but from what I can tell, sounds like it has good volume.

Dale,
Yes, it has tons of volume! The interior is stepped, & is about 3/4"-7/8" at the inside bell end.
But, yet, if a guy controls his air pressure, it can be quite quiet for close-in calling.
I don't make many distress calls, but I'm actually pretty proud of this one. LOL
BTW, the customer sent me a message, & thinks it's exactly what he was looking for, so that makes me even prouder. LOL

Will, I think you've done a great job on this! Its hard to get that big of a variety of sounds in one call. You've knocked it out of the park buddy!

Sounds dang good Will. Good pitch and control. Loved that hare distress on it.

P.S. The video and audio matched just fine and the quality was excellent.

Well done

Tony

I want to thank everyone who gave feedback on this call.
It's much appreciated.

And, since "john007" asked, & I promised...here's some pics of the finished call.

They didn't show up well, but here's the "stacked" reeds...
025-3.jpg

Pic of the step-drilled interior (this sucker can get loud, but also quiet enough to coax with)...
026-4.jpg

Both sides of the call...(you can see the "dimples" better in these pics)...
024-5.jpg

027-4.jpg

Last edited:
That did have a good raspy sound and I did like the bird that sounded different. I wonder if the double reed is what made the bird sound different or maybe it is just my old ears but it sounded good to me.

Originally Posted By: GLA.ORThat did have a good raspy sound and I did like the bird that sounded different. I wonder if the double reed is what made the bird sound different or maybe it is just my old ears but it sounded good to me.

Actually, the double reed had no effect on the "bird trill".
It only had an effect on the rasp in the other sounds, which is what I was looking for.
smile.gif

My way of doing "bird trills" is slightly unorthodox.
grin.gif

I think most guys "trill" their tongue to get the sound.
I've never been able to do that, for some reason.
frown.gif

So, my way...(of course I get out on the tip)...then kind of "gargle" in my throat, while also gently (but quickly) rocking the call from side to side.
Hope that helps to convince you there's nothing wrong w/your ears.
grin.gif

Back