6.8.. worked great..

coyote6974

I went to the fishing club this evening to cut up a downed tree that had fallen across one of our boat ramps. As I drove along the access lane I noticed there were a large number of geese feeding in the corn field that borders the north end of the lake. Since I had my 6.8 SPC AR and my Foxpro in the back of my truck I decided I might try calling coyotes rather than cutting up the blowdown.
I grabbed my gear and snuck through the woods and up to the edge of the cornfield. Somehow I was able to get my call positioned in the field without spooking all the geese. I got set up against a tree and began calling. I started with lightning jack then alternated in some pup distress. After 35 or 40 minutes it was beginning to get dark, so I thought I'd try a female invitation howl. I immediately got an answer from several coyotes that sounded like they were across the lake on the east side. As they howled, I joined in with a couple more female invitation howls. When the coyotes quieted down, I came back with some cottontail distress. I was thinking it would take 5 to 10 minutes for any of the howlers to respond, but within a minute I saw a coyote emerge from the brush about 200 yards east of my stand. It was looking north into the cornfield and seemed to be paying no attention to my squealing rabbit sounds. I switched on coyote pup distress and watched the coyote through my scope. It just stood stone still not even glancing in my direction.
Seeing this coyote was more interested in goose than rabbit I decided I'd have to take the estimated 200 yard shot it was presenting me. I setteled the crosshair of my scope just a bit high on its shoulder and squeezed off a shot. As the rifle recoiled, I heard the smack of the 90 grain varminter hitting home, and the coyote disappeared as if it had been vaporized. I switched the Foxpro back to pup distress and waited to see if a second coyote would come in, but after a couple of minutes nothing else showed up. I got up and walked along to field edge to find the coyote laying right were he fell.

Coyote11-1211.jpg

This coyote turned out to be a male that was in great condition. He was starting to shed some of his tail hair but was still well furred. He would weigh about 35 to 40 pounds.
The Varminter had hit him just behind his shoulder, and exited on the off side, leaving a quarter size exit hole. I built this 6.8 SPCII chambered AR to give me more energy from a 16" AR-15 carbine, and it's working very well for that purpose.
Sorry about the grainy photo, it was getting dark.

Good hunting y'all.. Coyote 6974

Shame on you! Isn't it great to be like a kid, you didn't need any coaxing you just wanted to have some fun. The tree isn't going anywhere, let's see, tree/Fur, tree/Fur, FUR! Great story...

Thanks for the comments guys. The 6.8 SPC is a great called coyote cartridge. 90 grain pills at 2900 FPS. Hits like a .243 Winchester from a light handy AR-15. Can't beat it.

Congrats on the hunt and thanks for the great post.

I had hog hunting in mind when I bought my 6.8 but I am rethinking this lately. I have been using 110 grain Barnes TSX but might see if it likes something lighter for a flatter trajectory.

Do you handload your ammo or shoot factory loads?

Can I ask why you're rethinking the 6.8 for hogs? I haven't used it on hogs a LOT, but I've taken 3 trips with it to east TX and knocked down over 20hogs. But then again, I was stepping up from a .223rem, so of course the 6.8 is a big gain. I'm ITCHING to take my new .243WSSM out after some piggies, but not looking like I'll get to for a while.

One of these days I'm going to get down to Texas to try my 6.8 on hogs.
Gman, I handload for this rifle. I've been shooting 90 grain Sierra's and 90 grain TNT's. This one was a Sierra over 33 grains of H-335. My rifle is super accurate with that load. I loaded some RL-7 up over the winter and found a really accurate load with it. 28.2 grains is pushing 90 grainers at 2775 FPS and I'm getting half inch groups from the bench pretty regularly. I'm going to heat up the next batch to 29 grains and see if it stays accurate.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorCan I ask why you're rethinking the 6.8 for hogs?

I think you misunderstood my comment. I think the 6.8 is great for hogs..... I meant that I was rethinking using it strictly for that. ]

I have mine set up with a NV scope and recently used it on a bobcat and will take it out for yotes next time I night hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: coyote6974One of these days I'm going to get down to Texas to try my 6.8 on hogs.
Gman, I handload for this rifle.

It's great that you can handload and fine tune your ammo to match your rifle. I would like to get into that but other budget priorities have not allowed me to do that yet.

For now I have just been trying various ammo from Silver State Armory. So far my rifle seems to like the heavier stuff. 110 grain Barnes TSX and 110 grain Nosler Accubond. I haven't run a lot of ammo thru it because of the cost but maybe I should go ahead and break it in good and see of it will shoot some of the 85 or 95 grain ammo available.

I have a Spikes Tactical upper with the Walther LW50 stainless barrel with a 11.3 twist. It's on a RRA 6.8 lower with a Tubbs flatwire spring and
Spikes ST-T2 buffer.

Thanks for the info and the post.

Last edited:
Back