.204 40gr Bergers....

Passmore

Shot 3 groups of 5 with these bullets out of my Savage model 12 and wow it was bad. Best group was 2.5" biggest was just under 3". Went back to the vmax's and was back down around .65-.75" groups. Need to make some adjustments I guess...

Haven't messed with the 40 gr bergers, my DPMS 1 in 12 doesn't shoot 40 gr vmax at all. Tried 4 different powders and nothing. 2 inch groups is about it. I'm gonna stick with the 32s. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the 400 40 gr bullets I have. I had good luck with the 35 gr bergers.

Last edited:
Yeah I might have to load up some of the lighter Bergers but it likes the 40gr vmax's so I thought I give the Bergers a try. I just like the 40's better for yokes but I'll keep trying a few things for a little while.

My Savage 12 didn't like em either.. 39 Sierra's, and 39 Speers shoot extremely well in my Savage 12. 35 Bergers are Ok too..

Originally Posted By: PassmoreShot 3 groups of 5 with these bullets out of my Savage model 12 and wow it was bad. Best group was 2.5" biggest was just under 3". Went back to the vmax's and was back down around .65-.75" groups. Need to make some adjustments I guess...

What powder are you using ?? My .204 LOVES those 40 grain bergers. I am useing Varget.

The only 40's that shot well in my rifle was the Hornady 45sp. Even the 39gr. Sierra's weren't anything to write home about, but the 37gr.CRT's were great with the 35gr. Bergers about the same as the 37's.

Originally Posted By: PassmoreUsing BL-C2 at 30gr if I remember corectly

Try Varget next time. Mine will bughole at 100 yards.. 26.6 grains

40 grain Bergers and a slightly over max dose of H4895 gives me 3850 fps with zero pressure signs out of my CZ527 varmint and groups about 1/2" to 5/8" consistantly.

I had a Ruger VT that shot them pretty well. Got a 2.5in group at 450yds bullet speed 3950fps. Maybe should have kept it but it wasn't getting used for hunting so off she went.

My Remington SPS Varmint absolutely loves the 40gr Bergers!

I load them with Ramshot Xterminator & Remington 7 1/2 primers.

They have been a great coyote round, so far!

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: boisblancboyFor those of you that have shot the 40gr bergers could you post the velocity you are getting?

I didn't write it down. But seem to remember being disappointed. I remember it didn't meet the Berger data I have, which is pretty conservative. I seem to recall ~3400

Last edited:
Right now I am shooting 35gr bergers at @3900, if I could get the 40's to shoot anywhere near the 35's with a consistently tight group I was considering giving them a shot.

Not all 40's are created equal when it comes to twist requirements. Some 40's need a ten or eleven twist. The 39 gr SBK's for some reason seem to do well in most 12 twist barrels at only one grain less. I suspect that unless you can get the velocity really screaming (and safely), your rifle will never like the 40 gr Bergers. I think you have a twist problem not a specific load problem per se'. Just my $.02 or less.
smile.gif

Back