NIGHT RAT SHOOTIN ON FARMS

Well its not a Talon SS that I wanted,But I'm sure it will get me into the Game. I just ordered a Crossman Titan Nitro Gas in .22.
If I really get into the Rat Game heavy then I'll get that Talon SS
Just cant swing it right now. I did call Bushnell and ask them if their Trophy Red Dot was AG qualified and the said yes. I thought it would be fast sighting at close ranges and it has 3 Mil Dot. So what do you think??

Thanks to Gman757 this nice EagleTac TC100C2 850nm IR Flashlight arrived today and will try it out tonight after it gets dark.

It is basically the same size as my Olight M-20X tactical lights are and of the same high quality construction.

Also has a completely silent switch with momentary Off-On as well as full On-Off, I use the momentary switch quite a bit on my Olights to scan with short periods of time.

The OSRAM IR LED Emitter is the absolute smallest LED I have ever seen, it is small as the head of a pin

It has two 850nm IR illumination settings, 500mw and 3.4W.

EagleTac%20850nm%20IR%20side.jpg

EagleTac%20850nm%20IR%20Warning.jpg

EagleTac%20850nm%20IR%20LED.jpg

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Well its not a Talon SS that I wanted,But I'm sure it will get me into the Game. I just ordered a Crossman Titan Nitro Gas in .22.
If I really get into the Rat Game heavy then I'll get that Talon SS
Just cant swing it right now. I did call Bushnell and ask them if their Trophy Red Dot was AG qualified and the said yes. I thought it would be fast sighting at close ranges and it has 3 Mil Dot. So what do you think??

Jeff
I think your in the game!! Now you just need a little light.Get out and zapp some!!And get pictures!!

Pup
My unit came today also!! I will field test it saturday night with my Marauder Pistol with shorty stock!!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Wallbass...

The piston is the way to go instead of the spring.....good choice. If you don't go with the red dot look at Leapers scopes. They are a cheaper line but made for spring gun recoil and they have a ton of different scopes to choose from. Most of their scopes have lighted reticles so that would help with the night time ratting. I actually have 3 different models sitting in boxes and never used.

I ordered a piston gun once and they had put the wrong size piston in the gun. The darn thing shook itself to pieces literally......but the Leapers scope that was mounted on it is still working. I gave it to a friend for his Gamo.

http://www.leapers.com/listproduct.php?mitem=optic&mtrack=m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Wallbass...

The piston is the way to go instead of the spring.....good choice. If you don't go with the red dot look at Leapers scopes. They are a cheaper line but made for spring gun recoil and they have a ton of different scopes to choose from. Most of their scopes have lighted reticles so that would help with the night time ratting. I actually have 3 different models sitting in boxes and never used.

I ordered a piston gun once and they had put the wrong size piston in the gun. The darn thing shook itself to pieces literally......but the Leapers scope that was mounted on it is still working. I gave it to a friend for his Gamo.

http://www.leapers.com/listproduct.php?mitem=optic&mtrack=m

Have any of you guys used a Red Dot on a AG for close range 10-25yrds?? Mine has a 3 Mill Dot. If you have how well did it work ??

Jeff,

You seem to be dialed in on the red dot and you can make the red dot work but you are going to be very restricted on shooting at various distances. The trajectory of a pellet changes fairly quickly over a short distance and you will only have only one point of impact reference with the red dot.

Go back into this post and look at the range on the scope caps that I made for my PCP rifles. Notice how much difference there is just between 10 to 30 yards. If you are shooting a target as small as a rat you will need to be able to compensate for various distances.

Download the Chair Gun software from Hawke Optics (free) and look at the the amount of arc in a pellet trajectory. Keep in mind you are working with about a one inch kill zone.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/apps/chairgun-pro.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/06/at-what-range-should-you-zero-your.html

Last edited:

Wow.....would have to get the 11-87 out for a 9lb rat. Glad they are only in the Keys.

I'm up in North Florida. We actually call it LA......Lower Alabama.

Baystate.....

Have you had a chance to go ratting with the EagleTac IR yet?

Originally Posted By: Gman757Jeff,

You seem to be dialed in on the red dot and you can make the red dot work but you are going to be very restricted on shooting at various distances. The trajectory of a pellet changes fairly quickly over a short distance and you will only have only one point of impact reference with the red dot.

Go back into this post and look at the range on the scope caps that I made for my PCP rifles. Notice how much difference there is just between 10 to 30 yards. If you are shooting a target as small as a rat you will need to be able to compensate for various distances.

Download the Chair Gun software from Hawke Optics (free) and look at the the amount of arc in a pellet trajectory. Keep in mine you are working with about a one inch kill zone.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/apps/chairgun-pro.html

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/06/at-what-range-should-you-zero-your.html

Gman: thanks for the Info! I downloaded the Software and I can see now what you mean. Looks like I need a Hawk on my new AG LOL Thanks! Jeff

Now you guys have me slobbering at the mouth with desire for an air rifle. I've actually wanted one for a long time but seemed to always have other priorities.

Jeff, I'm anxious to hear about the new toy you ordered.

I'm green when it comes to air rifles, so someone please tell me about the difference between a springer and the nitro piston and why the nitro piston is so much better. As I say, I'm green on this stuff and just wanting to learn. I'm also like Jeff, I just can't afford a high dollar air rifle, or anything else for that matter right now. But, the price of the Crossman Titan that Jeff purchased isn't so bad.

I've read that springers have a learning curve involved in order to get accuracy with them. Does the same hold true for the nitro piston?

Does the Titan require an air rifle type scope?

Thanks.

Maybe start shooting pythons then. I've seen some of Florida's snake problem on TV. You guys must really have a problem with foreign introduced critters of all kinds.

Thanks Gman for the information.

6mm06 they have me drooling too. I have a Gamo hunter but now I have it in my head I just have to have a PCP air rifle. I want the Benjamin Discovery in .22 and it's running $329 at wal-mart right now so it may be mine soon. I still need to find a rat shooting location, the starlings are starting to wise up around here.

Well its here!! A Benjamin Titan Nitro in .22/with a cheezy 4x32(gotta change) I was thinking about a Hawk,Bushnell or Leapers
It pumps smooth and you don't have the spring twang/vibration when you shoot. Waiting on a 11mm/weaver adapter from PA. The only thing Ive shot is one of those Cabelas Book catalogs,it went through the front cover and about 3/4 deep into the book. Does that sound right for 900 fps????? Oh that was at 15ft. any thoughts on which scope Brand??? Being AG Scopes theres not allot to choose from!!!
thumbup1.gif

Back