What breed of dogs for hunting Bobcats??

you can use what you like, but if i was you i would get a hound with a very cold nose, where i hunt your lucky to get a track some days and it could be a long ways to the hot end of the track, if you choose a cold nose dog you will have to jump the cat for him and myself i am into running hounds not jumping the game for them lol blueticks, redbones and black and tans have your coldest noeses, most all treeing walkers ive ever seen use on bobcat have to have the cat jumped for them and sorry i am not into jumping game for hounds, just my 2 cents

not all walkers are hot nosed. i'm not a one breed guy either but i think anymore there are more diferences within a breed than between breeds. if you want to hunt cats you do need a cold nosed dog but as long as you stay away from the "night hunt" stuff and look for a big game bred dog you can find a good nose but you will pay for it too. and good cat dogs are hard to come by so beware of anyone that will sell you a broke or even started dog for less than $1000. my cousin is having real good luck with a hammer bred bluetick. i run a beagle hound mix myself. and a good friend runs all walkers and has great results. i don't care what kind of dog you run; be ready walk alot of tracks the first year or 2 until they start to cold trail.

I use a 3 yr old Walker that runs with his head up, and a 5 yr old Redtick female that is a pretty fast track straddler.....not to many get by them. Very proud of my dogs as I'm sure we all are.

jeff4704, yes redbones would make a good cat dog, theres a lot of guys in the western states that use them on lion and bobcat both with great results, good luck.
it dont take very long only a few hunts and if a dog is going to be a cat dog he will get after them, i wouldnt spend a year or 2 walking a dog on tracks to see if he is going to make it,most all of my dogs that make start dogs i know they have it befor there a year old and i have good old dogs to lead them in the right direction, its getting very hard to hunt bobcat with hounds here with the wolf numbers growing as fast as the are and we have a ton of trappers that are pigs here takeing more than there limit, they fill all there friends and familys tags as well as there own, i hear some of the pigs bragging on takeing upwards of 16 bobcats swith snares and traps, atleast with hounds you can release all the females and kittins them conibares and snares just kill them all, if your intrested in a hound jeff i breed a female from time to time and always sell a few of the pups, email me and ill keep you posted on when my next litter is comeing, have a great day

MarkNTennessee, alotta guys down south use larger packs of "running" hounds for cat on bare ground(no snow), as you head north most use coonhounds(treedogs) and typically only run 1-3 hounds at a time. Best advice I can give u is ask around and see what guys in ur area are using cause certain dogs seem to work better in certain places.
Just be careful, cat hunting can sure get under ur skin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back