Which Sierra 55gr?

Bernie P.

I've always had good luck with Sierra bullets in my .223 and 7mm.They offer several different .223 55gr bullet designs.Which would be best for coyotes.First and foremost I want quick clean kills.Pelt damage is secondary.Most shots will be under 100 yds with 350 about the max.

I am assuming you are talking about for the .223 Remington. With the distances you are talking, I really dont see the need for a boat tail. I used the 55gr Blitz (Not the Blitzking) for years with excellent results on Coyotes. I see you are from NY so that means that you have a larger coyote than out in the west or SW. Persoanlly, I would stay away from the Blitzking bullets. I just think they are not the best choice for the larger dogs that you and I have in our state. I would also recommend the 55gr Spitzer. I have taken a couple of coyotes with this bullet also.

Sierra #1360. SP

Killed many a coyote, as well as other things. Not flashy, not Fancy, just business done right.

No "splash wounds either.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Thanks all!Think I'll try both the 1390 and the Blitz swift one mentioned.

If your barrel twist is faster than 14", then avoid the Blitz,and stick with the gamekings.

In faster twist barrels, the blitz will self destruct if shot faster than 3,400 to 3,500 fps.

You will be fine with the blitz, even with a 12 twist. Yes it may spin apart in the air with an 8 twist at TOP 223 velocities but will not with a 12 twist (I've shot lots in my 12 twist 223 as hot as I could get them).

I also shoot the 80gr blitz (I know it's not same bullet but same construction) in 6BR calling rifle with a 8.5" twist Brux barrel. At ~3050fps it stays together in the air but is right violent when it reaches something solid. The Blitz line from Sierra is sooo overlooked because it's not flashy, but they plain work!

However, for an all around bullet for 223Rem. The 55gr Gamking spitzer (1365) is GREAT. The 55gr BTHP (1390) is a bit harder but also a good choice, but is very blunt & slows quickly with the gapping HP. I've even killed several deer with both bullets, so no worries on coyotes. Of course... I've killed deer with the blitzkings as well with no problems! Just about any Sierra you pick in 55gr (other than FMJ) will be an excellent selection.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeYou will be fine with the blitz, even with a 12 twist.

Then you are luckier than I...

... I've got maybe 15 boxes I'd love to sell - they fail in my 222 Mag with a 14" twist at around 3500 fps.

I have switched over to the BlitzKing and V-Max.

I should have mentioned my CZ 527 has a 1/12 twist.For the most part I usually stay at or just above the listed starting loads.In my guns this gives excellent accuracy and shoots plenty flat enough for the ranges I normally encounter.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: coleridgeYou will be fine with the blitz, even with a 12 twist.

Then you are luckier than I...

... I've got maybe 15 boxes I'd love to sell - they fail in my 222 Mag with a 14" twist at around 3500 fps.

I have switched over to the BlitzKing and V-Max.

They work great in my Remington Factory Barreled 1-12 twist. If I remember the load is jsut over 3300fps. I was surprised when the 80's didn't "grey" out of the 8.5" twist. I shot some .224's in a 220Swift & they stopped blowing up right above 3600 fps in a 14 twist. May be the atmosphere difference, or maybe my barrels have dull riflings
blushing.gif

The talk of the Sierra Blitz bullets got me thinking. I remember reading somewhere not to run the too fast or they will come apart. So I called and talked to a Sierra Tech and he told me they recomend not to go above 3600 fps. He said in a smooth barrel, a 1 in 12 or 14 inch barrel, they should be fine. I've used the Blitz's in my 222 and 223 for years and never had a problem with them. But I'm not running them fast.

Cat is right on on the Blitz, not to be confused with the blitz kings.

Blitz kings are the most explosive out there, so I avoid them on coyotes.

Of the Sierra 55's, the SPT BT, 55g BTHP, 55 Flat Base have all done very well on coyotes for me at velocites from 4150-4100 fps.

I did have the 60g HP shoot holes straight through several coyotes in a 1-14 twist at 3450 fps, so I put that bullet on the tough side. Faster twists should help the 60g HP bullet open up faster.

The Sierra 50g Spt is also a great bullet for coyotes and they did not blow up at 4150 fps on coyote shoulders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleyman

Of the Sierra 55's, the SPT BT, 55g BTHP, 55 Flat Base have all done very well on coyotes for me at velocites from 6150-4100 fps.

The Sierra 50g Spt is also a great bullet for coyotes and they did not blow up at 4150 fps on coyote shoulders.

6150 fps, I am guessing that is a typo?
smile.gif

Back