Universal Pistol Powder?

Stob

If there was one powder to buy that could be used in: 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9MM, 44 Mag and 45 Auto, which would work best in all of them? I know the magnums should use a slower powder, but just looking for something that would do a decent job in all.

Win 231, although not the best powder for some of these, it will work in all of them. I have used it in all of them except 9mm,but it should work there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StobIf there was one powder to buy that could be used in: 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9MM, 44 Mag and 45 Auto, which would work best in all of them? I know the magnums should use a slower powder, but just looking for something that would do a decent job in all.

I use Unique in my .357, 44 and 45. Not for hot loads.

Stocked up on a bunch in the Clinton years for exactly what you're talking about. Not ideal for all of them necessarily, but will work for all nicely. That's why they call it Universal. Does shotgun loads too. This and Varget or 4895 are your SHTF powders! Burns pretty clean too.

Originally Posted By: StobIf there was one powder to buy that could be used in: 38 Special, 357 Mag, 9MM, 44 Mag and 45 Auto, which would work best in all of them? I know the magnums should use a slower powder, but just looking for something that would do a decent job in all.

Power Pistol

Tite Group

Universal or Unique will work in all the guns that you named. I have used it in them all at one time or another. Might not be the best for any one of them, but certainly will work in them all and work well at that.

For target loads in pistols, or shotgun, Hodgdon Universal is
a clean burning, easy metering, stable powder to load. I buy
it in the biggest quantity I can find. I load 380 Auto, 9mmx19,
40 S&W, 45 ACP, 10mm Auto, 28 ga., 20 ga. and 12 ga. target
ammo. I run plated bullets in pistol cartridges, loaded
mid-range with Universal. Soft recoil, clean burning, and
decent accuracy, are the results. For shotgun, all of my
trap loads for 20 ga. and 12 ga. are loaded with Universal,
and for 28 ga., skeet and small upland bird loads are also
loaded with Universal. It truly is Universal.

As for Unique, I inherited a 1 lb bottle when my brother
passed away. I loaded 9mmx19, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP, loads with
it as a comparison. Decent powder, but it doesn't meter as
well, and it burned a bit dirtier in my pistols. Also, it
didn't seem to have the same accuracy as Universal, but that
may have more to do with the 1999 date stamp on it...I loaded
the loads last year, and have been running them through
my range sessions. I now use them for tactical training,
in the 1 to 10 yard range where accuracy isn't as critical.

Squeeze

So is there a difference between "Universal" and Universal Clays"? I've seen it typed both ways. And by the way, the subject line I started didn't mean "Universal" as in the powder, I am looking for a catch-all powder.

I agree that Unique doesn't meter very well.

Originally Posted By: StobSo is there a difference between "Universal" and Universal Clays"? I've seen it typed both ways. And by the way, the subject line I started didn't mean "Universal" as in the powder, I am looking for a catch-all powder.

I agree that Unique doesn't meter very well.

Yes, Hodgdon use to label this powder Univeral Clays.
I have jugs that say Universal Clays, and just Universal.
It is the same powder.

Even though it is labeled "Universal" it is also universal.
thumbup1.gif

Squeeze

I'm with Squeeze on this. I like H Universal better than the gravely Unique. It would work on the rounds mentioned rather well.

I used Unique for a lot of years and put up with metering problems in powder measures. It's also a very dirty powder, the worst I've ever seen.

Replaced it with Universal and never looked back.

Back