Hornady Head Space Gauge

Claybuster

Just bought one of these thinking that I could bump the case
shoulder back .001 or .002 while sizing the neck. WRONG!!!
The brass is Rem .243 and fired in a TC Pro Hunter. There
is a difference of .014 between the shortest and longest
case. I can't size brass that hasn't fire formed to fill the chamber. They weren't all the same load. Some heavier than others but I expected them to configure to the chamber. Am
I going to have to fire each case with a max load to get them to fire form to the chamber? Or should I find better brass?
Any ideas?

Originally Posted By: Claybuster

"Am I going to have to fire each case with a max load to get them to fire form to the chamber?

Yes - probably two or three times - and you will have the same problem with any brass.

Your T/C break action is "springy", you will have lots of trouble with brass growing erratically, especially with hotter loads. Brass life is horrid.

Here is a link to Mike Bellm's page, where he talks about head space in the break action, and how to correctly measure for it in a break action. Mike has devoted most of his career to the T/C line in a custom way. Give this a read, and if you like break actions, read some of the vast information he has posted on his web site. Mike is easy to talk to, very helpful, even when he doesn't need to be, and he returns all e-mail correspondence.

This really helped me when I went through the T/C phase. I am firmly a bolt action kinda guy these days
wink.gif
BTW, Mike was under the tutelage of Parker O Ackley, and even still has some of Ackley's personal reamers, and tooling.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=172

Back