semi automatic .22 MAG

COYKILL

I just seen a .22 MAG in a semi automatic from a company called Excel Industries. Anyone have one? Here in Mi. we have to use a rimfire at night and thought the semi auto would be much nicer than my bolt gun if follow up shots are required. I wish we could use a .223 at night.

I'm guessing you have hunted at night, but what I find is that when using a red light and the animal is not looking at you it is real hard to see them from much of a distance. Especially if you miss and they are tearing out of there. My opinion is a semi-auto is not much benefit at night. Normally I get one shot unless you wound an animal or it stops and turns around to give you another shot which isn't often. Daytime is another situation though.

I have a magnum research 22 mag semi auto with overmoulded stock & carbon barrel. It uses 10/22 magnum magazines. Very light & shoots great. A little spendy but worth the money.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLI just seen a .22 MAG in a semi automatic from a company called Excel Industries. Anyone have one? Here in Mi. we have to use a rimfire at night and thought the semi auto would be much nicer than my bolt gun if follow up shots are required. I wish we could use a .223 at night.

Do you mean Excel Arms
smile.gif
I've not had any experience with their rifles or handguns, however, Remington makes the 597 in .22Mag. Reviews here are mixed.

Scratch that...at the bottom of their page it says Excel Industries. My bad! And good find, btw!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HereticOriginally Posted By: COYKILLI just seen a .22 MAG in a semi automatic from a company called Excel Industries. Anyone have one? Here in Mi. we have to use a rimfire at night and thought the semi auto would be much nicer than my bolt gun if follow up shots are required. I wish we could use a .223 at night.

Do you mean Excel Arms
smile.gif
I've not had any experience with their rifles or handguns, however, Remington makes the 597 in .22Mag. Reviews here are mixed.

I have the Remington 597 in .22 LR and I should have bought a 10/22.....Ruger used to make a .22 WMR semi but not anymore....I saw them selling on GB recently for $650+ I am leaning towards the CZ......

I have a 10/22 mag and love it. I replaced the barrel with a heavy Shilen and it suddenly turned into a real tackdriver. I'll never part with that rifle. Did I mention that it's a tackdriver? Oh... for fast follow up shots.. you cant beat a 22WMR auto... I say spend the money. If I were restricted to rimfires the 22WMR is the way to go.

We can use anything we want here at night and I use a 22 magnum semi auto. In fact I have three, two 10-22mags and a Voquartsen. I like and use the follow up shot capability all the time, but...I am not blasting the animals first with a light. I have two Night Vision weapon sights and one Thermal scope. As above, you might not have much of an advantage with a semi if you have to shine the animal with a light.

kel, I have a GEN 3 scope so I don't have to worry about seeing them. Would the CZ be better than the Excel Industries?

22mag semi's have been known to be finicky in the past. I'd go with the CZ because they have a good track record. You can probably find info at rimfirecentral for the Excel, I'm just not familiar with it.

The Excel Ind. has a full length picatinny rail for mounting my night optics night vision scope. What does the CZ have? I seen a small pic of one but couldn't tell if it has a pic. rail. Thanks to all of you for your help. I want to make the right purchase.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLkel, I have a GEN 3 scope so I don't have to worry about seeing them. Would the CZ be better than the Excel Industries?

Crap, I have no idea about semi-auto .22 mags! I use a bolt action .22 mag at night but I was just thinking that maybe you were using a light and I was trying to let you know that follow up shots aren't too common with a red light. The last time I missed I could hear something hauling butt thru the field but never could pick it up.

If you have a Gen 3 you must be loaded so I would buy one of each .22 mag and cover all your bases.

All BS aside, if I was buying a .22 mag auto I would go with the one that seems to feed the most reliably as that seems to be the bad side of the .22 mags

I was just on the CZ site looking at the model 512 and it is a LR not a .22 Mag. Maybe I am looking at something wrong but I want a .22 mag in semi auto and then would sell my bolt action .22 mag.

The CZ 512 does in fact come in a 22 mag, and that would be the gun I'd buy today if I was looking for a semi in that caliber.

I've got a Remington 597 and it's been a real dependable gun. Nothing flashy, but it has worked flawlessly. Just don't try to jam more than 5 rounds into the junky magazine.

Originally Posted By: COYKILLI was just on the CZ site looking at the model 512 and it is a LR not a .22 Mag.

Try clicking the little arrow thingy next to the box that says 22LR.
It'll give you the 22WMR option.

Looks like a nice little rig to me if you can get by the plastic (which I can't).
I'm definatly a CZ guy but I'm old and don't accept change well
frown.gif
so don't go by my opinion cause CZ makes a dang fine firearm.
Luck

You can just about give up on the the Excel rifles. I eyeballed em for years yet could only ever find one (in .17hmr, none in .22M) and it wasn't for sale at any price.

We found the Rem 597 to be reliable and accurate although it seemed heavy for what it was. Probably just perception since we we generally handled/shot it next to rimfire bolt guns and 10/22's.

Seem's like the 597 and CZ are about the only options today. The CZ being what it is I'm sure it's a winner but I've yet to see one.

Personally I think you're on the right track looking at semi's. Lord (and everyone else) knows I'm not a fan of the .22M (I realize you're stuck with it) but unless you are only shooting gophers or paper a semi just makes too much sense with any rimfire.

CB

Back