Which rimfire for coon calling?

Raccoon usually come in slow in a walk, unless they wind you. They'll hang around a while, even when they figure out it's a trick. A scoped .22 LR is all you need. If they start to leave, switch to raccoon pup in distress.

Get a brick of ammo and spend some time chasing cans or old golf balls off hand. Head shots on raccoon will be no problem.

Been calling coons for 2 seasons now , no expert by any means. My son used a .22lr and I used my Marlin .22 mag. No contest on called coons...the mag is much better. Called coons are coming out of a den hole and are shot as soon as their hips clear the hole because they sometimes just turn around and return for good. You have to hit them good and fast to drop them out of the tree before they go to plan B. The long rifle wounded most and they would just go back into the holes or run away.... My two cents. Jim

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesRaccoon usually come in slow in a walk, unless they wind you. They'll hang around a while, even when they figure out it's a trick. A scoped .22 LR is all you need. If they start to leave, switch to raccoon pup in distress.

Get a brick of ammo and spend some time chasing cans or old golf balls off hand. Head shots on raccoon will be no problem.

Let me guess, you are callin coon at night? Cause during daylight they hardly ever walk and never stick around.

CB

Originally Posted By: ARDaveIf it's for coon only, I only bring my old 10/22 (22lr). The bullets are cheap and I have put a couple 10/22's through he11 and back. Still shootin fine. Light and easy to carry. Good luck buddy! 10/22 the best coon killing machine ever made. Open sites scopes for coons, scopes are just a pain in Azz. If I notched my 10/22 for every coon it's killed like the old gun fighters did, tnere would be anything left. The 10/22 the "Coon hunter's AR".

I have used everything from a 22LR to a 22-250 on Raccoon. If you dont not save the pelts- It's hard to beat a 12ga with 2.75" #4 buckshot. For pelt saving I have found that a 22 Mag 40HP rtight between the eyes is magic for Raccoon. Now, I use a scope on top of my Marling 925M. I have had no problems with it. My coon hunting is done at night with a caller and 90% of the coon I shoot are up in trees looking right at me.

While I have used a 22LR for coon hunting- I'm not a fan of it. Those coon can and do take a lot.

Mostly call in raccoon at night, but several show up during the daytime. The last one came in and was smelling the flash supressor on my AR. It's brushy here, so things can get up close sometime! Sqeeling bird calls, and long calling times will get you raccoon and bobcat. Buy the way, in the 70's I would take around 75-100 raccoon in the winter. Most were head shot with a Ruger Single Six with 22 SHORTS. Our trees are no where near as tall as some of yours.

Last edited:
Quote: Our trees are no where near as tall as some of yours.

Ya, I also use shorts to put them down on the trap line. I like those CB Shorts. And yes, I have shot some coons out of trees up here that take a second or two to hit the ground once they start to fall, LOL. I got a friend that uses nothing but a 22LR when he calls coon or gets after them with dogs. Never heard him complain about it. I just prefer a 22 mag.

Just a heads up for coon callers....my fur buyer said he won't buy anymore coon in the carcass just because the daytime calling is getting bigger and the shotguns ruin the pelts . If you use a shotgun don't be surprised if your pelts are refused. Jim

Originally Posted By: spiderman Just a heads up for coon callers....my fur buyer said he won't buy anymore coon in the carcass just because the daytime calling is getting bigger and the shotguns ruin the pelts . If you use a shotgun don't be surprised if your pelts are refused. Jim

What your buyer?

CB

Will someone tell me how you call a coon.

I do not want to hear about a tin whistle, a candle and a paper bag.

I use 22 shorts / hollow points and head shots.

Originally Posted By: spiderman Groenwald .....Jim

That's who we sell to also. Kinda surprizes me, kinda not. Groenwold actually prefers to buy coon fur side out and frozen flat as a board so many times it would be impossible to tell shotgunned coon apart. But then I've never been happy with the damage that a shotgun will do to a coon either so I don't blame them. I will also add that I've seen em throw a truck load of snared coon back in a trappers face before too but that didn't stop them from buying our snared coon. Of coarse we usually ran our road snares at 10 PM and again first thing in the morning so the coon weren't sitting in them very long. I'm betting they'll treat shotgunned coon the same way. Don't blow the heck outta em and you'll probably be fine.

CB

Originally Posted By: willy1947

Just do an advanced search. Make sure to just include the predator hunting forum and use coon as the search word. Make sure to also check the box "subject only" and up the date range to a year or two.

Good luck on callin using .22 shorts. Shorts will work as well as anything IF you can plant one in the brain pan but that's a big IF.

CB

CB

Short version is during the day time just set e-caller behind den site, turn on coon distress or boar fight. If they are there they come out in less than a minute to join in the fight or exit the area. It's fast and if you hesitate they are gone. I use either a 17HMR in a 96/17 or 22mag CZ512 my son had so so luck using a 10/22 the last 3 seasons and this coming season will have a 96/22 mag. It's not like treeing them with dogs, where they are just sitting there looking down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceOriginally Posted By: willy1947

Just do an advanced search. Make sure to just include the predator hunting forum and use coon as the search word. Make sure to also check the box "subject only" and up the date range to a year or two.

Good luck on callin using .22 shorts. Shorts will work as well as anything IF you can plant one in the brain pan but that's a big IF.

CB

CB

Thanks for the info, I uses shorts because of the dogs and when I get them out of the box trap.
I killed one with a 17cal air rifle RWS in my backyard. I have never called a coon Learn something new.

Back