Returning to a coon spot/what color lights do you use?

ninjapuff

My calling partner and I called in a coon, and got a few interested after the fact the other night, but did not take a shot. We were discussing, and I figured I would see what others might think or do. How long do you wait to hunt a spot with coons again after a hunt. Also, do you thing light color affects coons much? What do you use for lights with coons? Your info is appreciated.

Alright i know this post is old and you might not read it. Plus coon season is over around here but me and my buddy slayed um this year. All we did was go out with the white light and shined the trees. Catch there eyes glowing and shoot em. I called in two this year on accident. Yotes didnt show up so I shot the coons. They like the woodpecker on my foxpro. Had one come in on Red Fox distress and I heard if you have coon fight on your foxpro and it [beeep] them off enough they will come storming your call. Havent got a chance to try yet.

Last edited:
i would kill the coons and not worry bout them any more long as season is in we like using hounds or calling them in all are exciteing to call something bout thoes red eyes gets your heart pumping

I have found some coons to be shy to the red light, but have not had any shy away from Green, I swear when I was bow hunting I think they were actually attracted to the green, they would walk right to me when I was walking in to my stand before light happens quite often kinda scary with only a bow.lol I have called them in with various distress sounds and coon fight sounds. Lotta good info on calling coons in the varmint forum.

I called a bobcat on the run one time with a raccoon fight sound on the Foxpro. That cat was really turned on by that sound for some reason.

I could see the cat coming up a road on the farm, about 100 yards away. When the sound paused for a few seconds, the cat stopped instantly, but when the sound started again, on the run it came.

Haven't called anything else with the sound, but it worked that time.

I have never had an issue with a red light and coon as an average. Understand that all animals have their own personality. I have seen big boar coon and yotes walk right up to and under 50yds with a red light shining at them. I have also seen the same type of animal freak out at red lights at more than 100yds away. However, the later is few and far between. This past season, I had some serious light issues and was limited to a regular hat light and a gun mounted flashlight for coon calling. The gun light was white. It really had no effect of the coon that I could see.

This is pretty typical of coons we call in using the red xlr250.

Skinner videoed this and another that got even closer on a recent hunt.

They rarely pay any attention to it. They don't all come right up to the call, but I doubt that has anything to do with the red light.

We have had them close enoungh to kick.

Back