243 powder for heavy bullets?

kevlars

I have a rifle that I am building in 243 WIN. It is an 8 twist Criterion 28" barrel. I have some Hornady 105 grain BTHP's that I want to try.

I was thinking, and have on hand, Retumbo, Hybrid 100V, and Varget(data is shown for Varget, but seems too fast to me).

The Retumbo and H100V max loads are compressed loads, but have good velocities. I think that with the long barrel, I should be able to get pretty good velocity with the slower powders.

Any other ideas? Loads? Bullets? I am open to hearing all ideas.

Thanks, kevlars

The 4350's or 4831s look good. I also see RE22 do well with the big guys.

A lot of the typical "magnum" powders are listed.

What bullet you looking at? aMax match king.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760The 4350's or 4831s look good. I also see RE22 do well with the big guys.

A lot of the typical "magnum" powders are listed.

What bullet you looking at? aMax match king.

I have the Match HPBT that I want to use.

Kevlars

Originally Posted By: kevlarsWhich VihtaVouri?

kevlars

According to the Hornady Manual for 243 Winchester using their 105 HPBT (#2458), it's VVN 165 starting at 40.3 gr and going up to 43.7 Max load.

According to the Vihta Vuori Loading Manual it shows that for 105's (but for Lapua's and Speer's not Hornady's they tested) you can choose between VVN160, VVNN550, VVN165 and VVN560. Holler if you want specific ranges for each.

Last edited:
imr 4064 has worked well for my .243 win with the heavyer bullets(95-105). 34.6 gr. was my rifles best load,wich was 1% over max listed charge,no pressure signs [beeep]. im useing cci#200 primers with hornady brass

H4350 is in the hodgdon extreme line of powders and it is supposed to be more temp stable than IMr4350. I haven't used the imr powders much but the extreme powders from hodgdon have worked well for me over a wide range of temps.

The reason I asked about the IMR is I also have a .243 with an 8 twist. And I have alot of IMR 4350. I was hoping to be able to use it up, while playing with some long range shooting.

Back