Kimber Pro Varmint 22-250 vs Rem 700

ducati07

Does anybody have any experience with these firearms? Would you recommend the Kimber or not? I know the Remm 700 is a proven gun but I'm trying to decide between the two. I am about to pull the trigger on one and just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any input.

No experience with any Kimbers here, my 700 VSSF II in 22-250 shoots one ragged hole all day long which is good enough for me.----Riflemann

I've owned more then a few 700's and no Kimbers. I'd spring for the Kimber unless you're talking about a VSSF II or something high end from Remington. If the 700 is an SPS spit on it and buy the Kimber.

Originally Posted By: joedI've owned more then a few 700's and no Kimbers. I'd spring for the Kimber unless you're talking about a VSSF II or something high end from Remington. If the 700 is an SPS spit on it and buy the Kimber.

The best shooting Remington 700 I ever owned was a 700 SPS in .223 Rem. I took it from the box, mounted a scope on it, zeroed it, and the very first three shots at 100 yards went into a single hole. .25 inch group. It was simple to shoot half inch five shot groups with this rifle. Cheap POS plastic stock, factory trigger, no freefloating.

ETA; I'll also add that I have a 700 SPS stainless in .22-250 that consistantly shoots .75 MOA with my handloads. It also has the standard plastic POS stock, non free floated barrel, self adjusted trigger. This is a wonderful coyote rifle.

Last edited:
I've owned more than one of both. I'd buy the Kimber, but that's just me. The rifles I've owned in both brands shot very nicely. I just like the feel of the Kimber better. If I had plans of building something else in the future with the action, then I'd buy the Rem just because of the amount of aftermarket parts for the Rem action (actually, I'd probably still buy the Kimber and buy a Surgeon action for the build
thumbup1.gif
) .

They're both good.
These "X vs Y" threads always turn to poo without determining anything.

Best thing to do is handle both, and see which one YOU like.

I have had both and not a pro varmint in 22-250. Mine was a .204 and I have nothing bad to say about it. It shot itty bitty groups and made me smile. Costs a chunk of change but they are worth it. One thing to watch for with the kimber is that the action is sitting square in the stock. I have seen a few sitting crooked in the barrel channel. Not a big deal but for the money it should be right.

If you have the money get the kimber...good luck with your purchase

180314_497946199662_510944662_5749280_3697243_n.jpg

Owned both, but I would tend to vote on the kimber. Depending on the Remys, some aren't worth the box they come in. Don't get me wrong, I've owned some great remys but some of the sps's just wouldn't shoot. Kimbers have good stocks and actions and the triggers are awesome. Have yet to have a bad Kimber. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the replies shooters!

Well, I was considering the 700 VLS but am leaning towards the Kimber.

The local gun shops don't have either gun in stock so hearing what others have experienced is kinda cool.

Thanks again

I don't own a Kimber Pro Varmint, but I do have 3 Kimbers, 2 Montana's and one Classic. I also have 2 Remingtons and have had several in the past. I would go Kimber also.

Originally Posted By: RePeteThey're both good.
These "X vs Y" threads always turn to poo without determining anything.

Best thing to do is handle both, and see which one YOU like.

+1

Originally Posted By: ducati07

The local gun shops don't have either gun in stock

That's often the case.
I'd still try to put hands on before making a purchase.
Can't imagine there isn't some within driving distance somewhere in CA, but maybe not?

I know you didn't ask about em, but Sako's another good choice in the Kimber price range.
Luck

In the price range the Remington Sendero would compare to the Kimber. I own a 7mm Sendero in SS with a HS stock. It is not the cheap Remington 700’s for $400. Kimber makes fine rifles and 45’s. It is all in what you like best. I like my Sendero.

I was just going to throw this out there. You don't really say what your purpose for this gun is... I see you are in CA. If you are in CA and your intention is to hunt predators with this gun then I've got to recommend that you consider a sporter weight like the Kimber Montana or Classic. Any gun < 7lbs would work.

Back