Cougars and wolves

kirby

A few cougars have been killed in Iowa over the last year or so. There has also been other sightings, some (IDNR)confirmed....some not.

Back in around 1970-71. We were hunting coyote with trail-hounds & greyhounds/staghounds. we put our two hounds on a coyote track into a large timbered section. About an hour later, we seen them hot on the tail of a large wolf. Our biggest hound(Black n Tan) was actually pulling the hair out of the tip of the wolf's tail. They caught him over a ridge. We hurried up humping out to where we last saw them(took us about 20minutes or so...Deep snow). They fought for about 15min or so, over the ridge. By the time we got to the ridge, it was over. Here comes back both hounds, exhausted & bloody. Never seen the wolf again. The wolf was very large with dark pepper colored fur. Pretty awesome sight.

NiteFright,

The(dogs)were bit up to, not real bad. But the wolf lost more blood??-go figure.I couldn't beleive it. In the snow, it looked like the wolf, had his fill of them. He(it) turned to fight. Looked like my Dad's big B-n-T hound, plowed right into him(it). They then slid 20' down the far hillside. Thats where they did battle. They fought in about a 30' circle(tracks/blood) everywhere. My Dad's Black N Tan Hound was a brute 110lbs of kick-hiney. The other hound was a 65lb Walker, he was a very tough dog as well. Apparently the dogs got their fill also, and quit. If they would've held on for another 5-minutes. We could've helped them out. I'd loved to seen that battle.

Back