selling guns to cabelas

panhed

I was wondering if anyone here has ever sold or tried to sell any guns to cabelas? My reason for asking is that they have extremely high prices for used guns, and I was wondering if that filters thru to the price they pay. Have some guns I am wanting to turn into cash, not wanting to sell private. I am only interested in hearing from anyone who has really sold or tried selling to cabelas, no other opinions really wanted. thanks, Barry

That's not the worst result, for sure. The typical LGS these days is selling for 200-300% what they pay, or that's been my observation at least.

I suppose I should turn that math around to say that they're paying 25-33% their intended retail.

In this area they have not been the best place to sell or trade a gun to. Gander Mtn has been worse, but Cabelas is not much better off as far as offer price. others have gotten worse too.

IT has gotten much worse in the last 3 years in the difference between what they offer and what they then resell for.

To the point that many many more people just sell their used guns themselves via local or using various internet options, rather than take the kick in the pants.

I sold a couple to Cabela's at one time...Both were cherry and while I didn't get premium prices (they do plan on a profit), the rep explained at that time, they were getting ready to put a halt to buying, unless those of really exceptional quality and market desirability, just due to the number of firearms that they had on hand at the time..This was about the time the economy was starting to get really tight...

From a couple of his comments during our discussion, (I think he was bored from lack of activity) I think that the lower quality items that were brought in were given really low offers for resale to other gun shops, rather than staying in their inventory....Don't really know if that was a true case, just the way he was talking...

Originally Posted By: panhedI was wondering if anyone here has ever sold or tried to sell any guns to cabelas? My reason for asking is that they have extremely high prices for used guns, and I was wondering if that filters thru to the price they pay. Have some guns I am wanting to turn into cash, not wanting to sell private. I am only interested in hearing from anyone who has really sold or tried selling to cabelas, no other opinions really wanted. thanks, Barry

Orders from headquarters is that they pay 65% of the blue book price - problem is that 99% of the folks that work in the Gun library don't know much about gun grading, and your gun might be an 80% and they can grade it at 70% or 60%.

Find someone that will take it on consignment (standard consignment fee is 15%), or put it up on www.gunbroker.com and keep almost all of it.

Set you own price on Gunbroker and sell it, I do. Find an FFL holder to ship it from and sell it. I sold a pistol last month for $350 and only paid $10.50 to gunbroker.

I can only speak to one experience (bad) with them. I had a Winchester Model 70 "Stealth" in 223 which had approximately 100 rounds fired through it and was absolutely in like new condition. It had Leupold bases and rings and a Leupold Vari-X II 6x18x40 AO (mint condition) which was part of the deal. I wanted to trade it towards an outfitters tent and they offered me $350.00 FOR THE ENTIRE PACKAGE. Obviously I passed on their offer, and I've not tried to sell one there since.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIt does not have to be shipped from an FFL holder. It only has to be shipped to an FFL holder.

Jack

Not all dealers will take transfer from private persons. I buy firearms on Gunbroker. I will only buy FFL to FFL. Less chance of buying a stolen firearms.. Then, I have receipts from both ends of the transfer. It is called protecting your “BEEP”.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsIt does not have to be shipped from an FFL holder. It only has to be shipped to an FFL holder.

Jack

That is true, but at least for me, it is a lot easier to send through an FFL than otherwise.

Last edited:
I sold them 2 NIB Belgium Browning's after I tried to sell them 3. I went in with 3 and while they were trying to lowball me, a gentleman standing in the gun vault ask to see them and offered $500 more than they did on a Sweet 16, he walked with it and they came up $800 on the pair and I walked. I noticed a few days later they were listed for $600ea more than what I was paid, I never followed thru to see if they ever sold.

But generally they lowball locally according to most on the local forums.

I had better luck consigning the last batch of Brownings(22) I sold. They sold them all with in a month and paid me our agreed upon price less their percentage, 5%, on the lot. I never went to see what they actually listed them for either, I just knew what I wanted and that's what I was paid.

Back