First 1911, Sig STX or Springfield Black SS

huntnfish08

I'm in the market for my first 1911. I want to stay in the $1000 range and have narrowed my search to two pistols.

Sig Sauer 1911 STX http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu.../1911-stx.aspx
Springfield Armory Loaded Black Stainless http://springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=18

Both have the features I'm looking for: full size, accurate, good trigger, beveled mag well, ajustable night sights, black/SS=good looks. and both can be had for $1000 if you can find one in stock.

I want to know if one is noticably better than the other before purchasing though. I don't know a lot about 1911s so I thought I'd ask for the help of the forum members. Please nit pick these two, both good and bad. I'm looking for differences on fit (slide, magwell, sights, etc.), trigger crispness, wear or required maintenance, maybe ergonomics, parts interchangability, recovery after shot. Things of that nature. Your input is appreciated as I don't know who to ask locally that isn't just trying to sell me one or the other.

Also I'd like to buy new, but would looking at a lightly used Kimber in the same price range be a better option? Why?

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Adam White

Springfield customer service is second to none and they make a [beeep] fine weapon. You cannot go wrong with SA. Sign makes a fine weapon as well but their 1911's don't hold resale value anything like a Springfield will. Those two points all e are enough for me.

Originally Posted By: WareagleSpringfield customer service is second to none and they make a [beeep] fine weapon. You cannot go wrong with SA. Sign makes a fine weapon as well but their 1911's don't hold resale value anything like a Springfield will. Those two points all e are enough for me.

I usually drink Sig Sauer kool-ade, got several, carry one at work, love them. However, Wareagle is spot on. Sig's 1911 have not been around long enough to hold their value like the SA rigs. I have shot a couple of Sig's 1911 and they shoot very nice. Both of your choices are are pretty much equal, but I too would pick the SA. Just my .02/

I have had both and current carry a full size Sig Nitron off duty. I liked the Sig better, fit seemed better when I purchased it and it has been flawless through several hundred rounds. I decided to try hollowpoints in it almost immediately, foregoing the typical 1911 break in period, and to my suprise it fed my dept. issued Gold Dots without issue. Since then I run about 100 rounds through it every month.

The 2 things people seem to dislike the most about the Sig 1911s are the external extractor (non issue for me) and the slide is not the traditional 1911 profile, which can make holster choice a little difficult.

I personally would recommend Sig but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the Springfield.

Can't say anything bad about the Sig. I shot one, one time,
for I think 4 8 round mags full of ammo. Decent 1911.
I have a SA loaded, although mine is polished stainless.
IMHO the trigger is better on the SA, and mine has been
run hard, and put away dirty(until the next day when I
could detail strip and clean it
wink.gif
). Never had a problem
with it. It is the most accurate pistol in this picture:

DSCF0002.jpg

Squeeze

Don't have a Sig. I do have an SA loaded stainless target model. I'd be very hard pressed to let it go. Partly because my son gave it to me for father's and partly because it works VERY well.

I was in the 1911 market the last couple of weeks. I currently have Kimbers, SA and a Wilson Combat. My next 1911 acquisition was going to be an SA Range Officer or the Sig. I got to handle the Dan Wesson CBOB and changed course immediately. Might want to take a look at that gun before taking the leap. Very nice handling and as I understand no MIM parts; all machined.

Back