Barking coyote I NEED HELP!!!

Kevin Steele

I Hunted a big field last night in the dark with xlr250 kill light and put the spitfire call on and started out with female howl and went to female bark immediately got a response in the woods about 300 yards away he barked back. Then he up winded me in the woods now he is around 150 yards and woudnt stop barking for over 20 minutes. I tried male challenge, pup scream, coyote locator, and even tried some rabbit distress calls. How should I have called this smart coyote? i went to second stand of the night about 500 yards away from first stand, and he barked in same woods and then he up winded me again and really started barking, I hunted for a 1 hour and he never came out. I walked back to truck and he barked the whole way back 20 minute walk, It was fun but would have been alot better to put him in the truck.

Any suggestions how to get this male coyote would be appreicated.

I had a couple do this to me the other night, figured I was busted, and not much I could do after they hang up and start the barking, I think they have made up their minds that something aint right, and won't come any closer.

If you have a hunting partner send them around down wind of the coyote to get a shot. It has worked for me a couple times. Just try to keep them barking, sneak in and kill.

I agree 100%. If using an ecaller, let it keep playing and sneak in downwind of the barkaholic. We've killed quite a few like this, most are jumping off the ground with barks and howls. The stalk is even more exciting than calling them in.

Now these days, I just cast the decoy dog after them and get the barking to stop.

Good luck.

Tony

Happened to me 2 weeks ago. I went to a threat bark then went to a fox and coyote fight and managed to get a coyote to walk in. (I missed a fox in the area so i gave the fight a try)

Tony, is that a technique you use at night or mostly during the day? as most of my hunting is at night and as I don't have a PVS14 so movment or a stalk at night can be difficult to make with stealth, but I will try it next time or even set make my farther upwind than normal from the call.

I use the technique during the day, in wooded areas. We have done it a couple times at night, on bobcat, when they hang up and just won't move. As long as the light is in their eyes, a partner can sneak around them to get a good shot.

Tony

Happened to me Thursday. He came to within about 50 yards but was still out of sight. Next thing I know he is 150 yards away. Goes over the next ridge 300 yards away into a thicket. We traded challenge barks for about 45 minutes. I finally decided to go silent (had read that somewhere). In about 10 minutes I see him come over the ridge looking right at me. I am thinking he got curious and came to investigate. His mistake.

It happen again I set up about 1mile away and he barked on the first call. He was about 400 yds away and I walked closer then another one started barking. Now I had two 200 yds barking in the woods. One on one side of rail road tracks one on other. Wind in my face so they didnt smell me, I walked real quiet so I dont think they herd me, I only walked when they were barking at each other. They stoped barking and never see them. I tried calling but nothing.

Back