How is the Cost of Gas effecting your Hunting&Fishing ??

Wallbass45

I guess the title say it all!! I know its realy cut back my events.
when you work on total comission people cut back on Buying because it cost more at the pump to get to work thus it cuts down my extra cash to go Hunting&fishing.
cursing.gif

It's really putting a damper on hunting/fishing/trapping up here in Canada.
Especially since I bought my new 2012 Toyota Tundra.....AVG..13 M.P.G...!!!
She's a PIG on gas....!!
It's getting to the point where it is sometimes better to buy the fish than to go out for it.....I love fishing/hunting but times are a changing....

My old 99 Toyota Fourunner used to get 25 mpg......
And gas up here is $1.35/litre......(there's 4.5 litres in an imp. gallon)

$6.08 / gallon!!!
Could someone in Texas tell me if Tundras that are being built there are built in the same plant as the gas refineries or do they just have controlling share of Toyota?

I am buying a 2012 VW TDI GOLFWAGEN to compensate....Tundra will stay at home and be used strictly for fishing/hunting..!!

Yea I have slowed way down ther are some places i have not been to in over a year the gas is the worst but it is also groceries, repair work done on about anything, my health insurance has tripled, so we have to ask ourselves are we better off than four years ago....I think everybody knows the answer to that....What is funny the people that are on assistance don't realize they can't buy as much as they use to....................................trapperdoc

had monday off, perfect still morn after a storm,I was a lil lazy then relized i needed to fill up....went back to bed....those pre and post storm opps have always produced well for me....cant ever recall turning one down due to being a "lil lazy" when the alarm went off....fuel was def a factor....

I really intended to attend the PM hunt this year, but the $3.50 gas at the time convinced me to stay home. The 2800 mile round trip would have cost over $500 dollars driving a 20 MPG vehicle. It would have been cheaper to fly out, but then car rental would have added another couple of hundred. Hopefully next year, after the new Republican President takes office gas will be cheaper.

I just have more hunting or shooting buddies. We take turns. Plus, for range visits and huts that dont stray too far, the 40 MPG Focus get called upon!

Well as soon as the Republicans can Find a Candidate that is going to be able to do the job,I will vote for him. I don't think its going to matter anyway. Until we get Congress replaced it wont matter.

Last edited:
Yes it is hurting.I am headed out of state tomorrow to hunt coyotes and gas prices are a concern for sure,but we need to get out of town a bit.

I guess I am fortunate, I have a shooting range in my bottom ground, 3 ponds to fish, a small river, and coyotes throughout the area. All in my back yard. By the way, just rolled into town today and regular gas was $3.95 a gallon! Bush's fault ya know!

I am buying/building more vehicles???? Not sure what I am thinking... Ultimately cost is not the issue anymore it is about time. Of course cheaper living means less working I suppose.

Check out the VW AMAROK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCK.......it gets around 40mpg.!!!.....Toyota Hylux too....!!.
Toyota refuses to import to North America because it will kill their Prius.

Imagine how much fishing/hunting you could get done with a 4x4 that gets 40M.P.G.!!!!

Gas companies DO NOT want these vehicles here!!!

I still have the ford explorer that I had in'08. In '08
it cost about 21.00 to fill the empty tank - today with a
1/4 tank of fuel it cost me 44.00 for the other 3/4 tank of fuel.
Ladies and Gentlemen we are in deep dung and it's only getting deeper.
But on the up side --- well there is no up side !

Originally Posted By: Noveske CrusaderCheck out the VW AMAROK DIESEL 4X4 TRUCK.......it gets around 40mpg.!!!.....Toyota Hylux too....!!.
Toyota refuses to import to North America because it will kill their Prius.

Imagine how much fishing/hunting you could get done with a 4x4 that gets 40M.P.G.!!!!

Gas companies DO NOT want these vehicles here!!!

We use a lot of the little Toyota diesel truck in the "sandbox" I really wish they would come over here!!

I was planning on taking a 2 week road/fishing trip this summer after graduation... Now that gas is going up It looks like I wont be going fishing much at all. $50 to put 3/4 of a tank in a Toyota Rav4, the fishing rig doesnt even do that good. Looks like the new Winston GVX wont get used as much as i was hoping.
cry.gif

Dont plan on much dirt biking either.

Last edited:
It has taken its toll on me. I drive a 1994 GMC Sierra 1500 and it sucks the gas down. Gas here is $4.33 per gallon. really is cramping my style......range and hunting days are getting far and few between.....

Regular gas was 4.29 the last time I filled my pickup and the total was 97 dollars. Luckily I'll be moving closer to my hunting and driving the VW jetta to work.

the real problem isn't the cost of gas. that's just what's in our faces all the time.

the main reason gas is high is bc the dollar has lost a lot of value. the dollar looks like it's holding up against other currencies, but it's not. it looks that way bc they're tanking as well.

the federal reserve has been deliberately devaluing the dollar and continue to do so. they're not even trying to hide this, they announced the future goal in their last meeting.

My farthest hunting/fishing spot(s),are no more than 50 miles from home so it doesn`t make a major difference. I try to combine trips for other needed items. Work overtime when I can (uncle sam loves this..I paid in 4k more in taxes last year than the year before and my return was $100.00 more..sux!)

Back