Kansas night hunting laws.

Scrapps_31

The law now is no artificial light for hunting at all. How do I go about trying to get this changed? Who do I email on this? Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened with it?

Thanks all

Most laws are to prevent deer poaching and for safety in populated states. My thought has always been to suggest a short season well after deer hunting is over. Feb 1-March 28 would work. You could also include a safety test to get licensed similar to the Ks furharvester test.

Originally Posted By: Scrapps_31The law now is no artificial light for hunting at all. How do I go about trying to get this changed? Who do I email on this? Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened with it?

Thanks all
Scrapps,

All states have their own processes for getting regulations changed. Following is what our reserch shows for Kansas as it relates to hunting at night as well as hunting with night vision:

Night Hunting: Allowed for coyote & furbearers but no artificial lights are allowed. However, hand-held, battery-powered flashlights, hat lamps, or hand-held lanterns may be used to take trapped furbearers, trapped coyotes, or furbearers treed by dogs with .22 rimfire rifles and handguns.
Night Vision: Not Allowed, per the 2010 Kansas Hunting & Furharvesting Regulations Summary, Furbearers and coyotes may be taken at night, but use of artificial light, including optics that project or amplify light, is prohibited.
Phone: 316-342-0658

I suggest you start with a phone call or email (see above contacts) and ask what needs to happen to get the law changed. Most states that we have spoken with (that do not allow night hunting for predators) cited safety issues (inability to fully identify the target, accidental harvesting of protected species, or inability to assess firearm projectile backstop) as their primary reasons. In response, we have created about a 10 minute DVD clip depicting how safe it can be hunting during night time hours using night vision technology. We provide this DVD free to any state official who is considering allowing or relaxing the night hunting or night vision laws. We are also available to answer any questions they might have. Considering Kansas allows hunting at night without using any light whatsoever, I doubt they are concerned too much about safety ! You can also share with your state officials that about 60% of states in the union allow hunting at night using artificail lights or night vision. Kevin

I got some info on it now. They're sending me the info to get a neusence control permit that will allow me to hunt coyotes with night vision. This is at least a start while is continue to research for a law change. I was told that we, as an organized group, need to get with one of the 7 commission members and convince them to propose the law change request. The biggest issue was the law enforcement. They were concerned with the deer poaching, the most. They fear they will be called all the time by property owners thinking we're poaching deer. Then when someone is actually poaching, then people don't call the police. I do understand where they are coming from on this. But, at the same time, it's not like the are scarce. But that where I'm at so far.

Thanks for the help

Originally Posted By: Scrapps_31For now. Gotta start somewhere.
Scrapps,

Could you let me know what kind of documentation they are requesting from you in order to get a nuisance permit. I don't see them wanting to have to issue too many of these since the law is written the way it is. If it seems to be an easy fix then maybe I need to change the Kansas night hunting/night vision posting on my website. You can just send me a personal message if you want. I would still pursue getting the law changed as there seems to be some easy fixes for the concerns noted by law enforcement. Also, they should not just limit it to night vision, artificial lights should also be allowed for nuisance permits. Good luck

As soon as I get the packet, I will get it to y'all. They didn't necessarily restricted to night vision, but that is what I was thinking. But like I said, when I get it in a few days, I will get it to you.

Originally Posted By: Scrapps_31As soon as I get the packet, I will get it to y'all. They didn't necessarily restricted to night vision, but that is what I was thinking. But like I said, when I get it in a few days, I will get it to you.
Great !

Thanks,

kevin

Originally Posted By: Scrapps_31Ok, so I got it. How do I get you a copy. It is interesting. The test is an open book test.

Let me know how to help.
If you could just post a brief explanation of the process you had to go through I think that would be enough. What was the test like.....that seems a little strange ? This is really great news for Kansas predator hunters unless they start getting too many neuisance permit applications and decide to start limiting it. Did they charge you anything for the permit ? Thanks for all the information....Kevin

Google-ksa 32-807, 32-1002, kar 115-16-6 This will take you to the application.
Or
To request the study guide and the nuisance wildlife control permit information, contact your region office...

Region 1 Hays area 785-628-8614. Region 2 Topeka area 785-273-6740. Region 3 Dodge city area 620-227-8609. Region 4 Wichita area 316-683-8069. Region 5 Chanute area 620-431-0658.

I'm sure they can send you the info or at least point you to the one that can. The study guide you receive will have all the info for the test, and it is an open book test. So have fun. I hope this helps you guys. I know there is more info I'm missin but when I have more time to go through it, I will post it. And feel free to add to the post.

Have fun
Jerry

Back