Mountain Lions in PA?

Cody221

there have been 2 videos taken of mountain lions around Warren County, i have not seen any of these but one was supposedly chcked out by a game warden and was right and the other was less then a mile from my house near my hunting lease... just ondering if this was possible??

I'm also from northwest Pa.. Mountain lions are a subject that causes plenty of debates. All I have is my opinion based on discussions I've had with local WCOs and my hunting partners who are older hunters that have lived in that area all their lives.

It's more than possible that a very few exist in PA.. They probably do exist as individuals and I'm told there is some hard evidence to support that. It is very unlikely that any breeding pairs exist. What I've been told is that some have been released into the Allegheny National Forest by people who had raised them from cubs as pets. The lions were released when they grew too large to care for easily. Also there is a facilty nearby in Ohio that may have had some escape. I don't have any details on that.

I personally have never seen evidence of any kind, but one of my older hunting partners is a close friend who I trust completely. He and his wife swear they watched one for at least a full minute in broad daylight this September. I have no reason to doubt them. It was in Forest county just south of the Warren county line. I'd sure like to see one myself, but if I did I doubt I'd tell anyone unless it was dead - to provide proof they do exist here.

There is video of several cats and also trail timer photos as well here in south central PA. The rumor here is insurance companies are behind them appearing all of the sudden. As many of you know the deer pop. here is above avg. and the ins. cos. really don't care for them. Don't know if there is any truth to it.

I have a family hunting camp in Elk County, north of Du Bois on 80. My uncle lives up on the mountain and has two pics of mountain lions that he took at night in his back yard. I know they exist there, but I am sure that they are very rare. He has lived up on that mountain for over 25 years and these are the only two lions he has seen. (About 8 years apart) Make of it what you will.

if there are big cats n pa they sure don't leave no tracks in the snow. i'm out after every fresh snow running bobcats and have never seen a track

i got a huge cat in utah the tracks are very light, i would have to see some proof in PA, there would be alot of dead deer along with livestock, cats eat alot, most likly someones pet that loose

A friend of mine from Clearfield had a lion walk right up to his tree stand , look up at him, and walk away.
he was hunting the Clearfield area.

jdk

I'm from PA too. I have a camp in Clinton county and I have not seen any signs or actually talked first hand to someone who has "seen" one. I feel it is possible but not likely. But then again, the PGC officers didn't believe there were coyotes here when people first "saw" them but look now!

while hunting this year in tioga,i talked with some locals in wellsboro. they all say that not only are there many confirmed sightings of lions, but kits and black panthers.innkeeper there told me her husband has trailpics of all three. lions are bold enough to let themselves be seen! they also told me that the insurance companie sare stocking them as well. coyotes are being bought for $50.00 and being release in masse. supposedly the pa game commission is aware but looking the other way...who knows.

I just read an article in the Washington Post no less about the distribution of cougar and how they got where they are. For many years the wildlife departments in some of the midwestern states have denied the presence of cougar. Two were recently killed by cars in Iowa. The authorities, not being able to continue their ruse, owned up to their presence when shown the photos of the dead animals. It seems we've been stocking the damn things. I knew there was a residual population in north Florida. In fact, some were captured recently and introduced into Georgia, but at least Georgia was open about it.
I would shoot everyone I could. Conservation aside, it's sad when a youngster gets pulled down by a cougar or even a family pet to say nothing of a farmers livestock. How can our state agencies do this, and secretly no less. Have we no say in the issue? This nonsense has to cease. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Originally posted by 1chopper:
[qb]if anyone shoots a lion here in pa, just bring it on over and i will eat the whole thing in one sitting![/qb]
I saw a mountain lion up close many years ago in Southern VT. Hunters have told me that they have seen mountain lions near the Mass/NY/CT borders and that was this year. There are many places near Bennington, VT that are named "catamount" like the Catamount Trail.

I understand that the "Eastern" cougar is a protected species on the federal level.

I understand that the "Eastern" cougar is a protected species on the federal level.
that must be why no one has got one, protected. here i just thought there really weren't any. lol
i think the "eastern" mt. lion and the big foot and the jersey devil are all covered under that. all issued kevlar vests for "protection". my mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Each state has their own classification for lions.
Funny cause here in NY lions were classified "extripated"(sp?) which means wiped out and there are no more. But a few years back they were changed to endangered. Seems fishy to me, and believe me I've heard enough stories to write a book...
I'll believe it when I see it with my own 2 eyes.

Go here, Eastern Cougar

Originally posted by 1chopper:
[qb]if anyone shoots a lion here in pa, just bring it on over and i will eat the whole thing in one sitting![/qb]
i will bring the hot sauce,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back