the best all around varmint round

I would say 22-250,243,6spc(6woa). just because I like the long shots. and 223 just doesnt pack enough punch way out there IMO. If it was 300yards and under only then I would say 223. due to avialibilty.

This is easy, the one you feel most comfortable with, and that you like shooting the most!!! For me that is the 17 FB, never had more fun shooting any other caliber!!!!

Considering all calibers and a size variety of varmints from large to small, I would have to say the .22-250 would be hard to beat.

Everyone likes what they like, but there's no "best" all around varmint cartridge. Depends on where and what and how. It's different for everyone.

Best is very subjective. Sure about any centerfire will whack em hard and long but dang if a good ol' .22lr hasn't been gettin it down for a long while. No, ya ain't gonna grenade em or nail em in the next county but they're still a load of fun. It's been many a country boy's rifle of choice for vermin.

Also surprised that no one has mentioned the .17hmr yet we have quite a few honorable mentions for the .22M. Given the choice between the 2 I'd take the .17 for varmints anyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

CB

Started shooting prairie dogs back in 1949 with a 22 RF rifle. Im 76 years old and started looking for a better varmint cartridge back then. Sofar I have used a 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem, 204 Ruger, 22 RF, 22 WMR, 22 Hornet ,221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win, and some of my big game rifles on varmints. I still have to try out the Hornady 17 Hornet and 5.7X28 MM. There are also some fine wildcat cartridges but Im not going to try them out. So Ill never know which varmint round is the best. But I like using the 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, and 204 Ruger rifles for prairie dog shooting and the 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift and 243 Win for shooting coyotes. It has ben fun reloading ammo and shooting what I got.

was wondering where i might find the 22 mag. winchester 30gr. v-max. for coyote hunting. i have been shooting an off the shelf round, sounds like the v-max might hit harder.

Always been a fan of the 223. Its has versatility in load selection, guns selection, with bullet selection from 35 to 80+ grains it can be used effectively on any varmint. However, as far as pure effectiveness, the 22-250 or a 243 shooting lighter bullets are unbeatable. runners and spinners all but disappear. My go to right now is the 6x45, but if your not a hand loader and a custom rifle guy it may not be for u.

Back