Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#218759 - 05/11/07 10:08 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: greydog]
greydog Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Pa.
OH BTW,
I know where Jimmy Hoffa is!!!!!!!!!!!! He was eaten by a Pa. Mountian Lion. It was brought in from Ohio. The reason I know that is when I lifted up the tail it had a big "O" stamped underneath. HELP US!!!!!!!!!!

#218760 - 05/13/07 06:40 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: greydog]
Dogwood Creek Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: w.central Pa.
I was recently shown a didital pic of what would appear to be a mountain lion. This pic was shown to me by a close friend of the photographer. "Boy sure looks like one to me" was what my buddy said in defense of his friend. It was extremely out of focus,odd for a digital,and was taken in the snow in the big National Forest north of here. My buddy was obviously shaken and excited by the prospect of a lion in his back yard. "I've seen clearer pics of bigfoot" was my retort. Well, "He was probably excited when he took it" was the reply. I asked how the pics of the tracks turned out. "Well, there aren't any track pics" claimed my buddy. I couldn't believe a fella that close to a lion in the snow didn't get track pics! I agree with the majority of the people I have polled on the subject. I don't want breeding pairs of them here. I think a little "unknown" in the PA woods is great.Heaven knows we have the wild areas to support them. But, until I see conclusive hard and fast tangable evidence to the contrary, I say there aren't any. I'm not saying there CAN'T be any. I just haven't been convinced by what has been shown me. Again I say there COULD BE, and I would like to be the feller that gets the proof. I would pay the fine to end the debate. As I understand it, the law was writen a century ago pretaining to the eastern lion. I would have to see DNA testing to verify the occasional lion passing through here isn't an escaped western strain pet. Therefor not falling under the old eastern lion law. I'll just bet if you had a dead one, there would be a tatto on it or a chip in it someplace. Most likely behind the neck between the shoulderblades. I for one don't believe for a instant the insurance companies wouldn't try a trap and transfer here. I don't trust those buggers one iota.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

#218761 - 05/20/07 02:47 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: Dogwood Creek]
Countryboy45683 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Northeast PA
Well get this one.. oh and i am a believer my dad and I saw one about 4 or 5 years ago... My dad is the president of his rotary club here in town the one night they had someone from the pa game commission come in to do a presentation. at the end someone asked if there are mountain lions in pa. his response.... yes
243 Savage 8mm Mauser 303 British 22 Marlin Long Rifle 50 Cal. CVA Saint Louis Hawken Flintlock Mossberg 500 pump 12 gauge Remmington model 1100 12 gauge Cresent arms 12 gauge side by side Taurus 44 mag raging bull 2 38 special Iver Johnsons 1954 M44 Mosin Nagant Carbine 1978 Romanian AK47 Homebuild from parts kit

#218762 - 05/27/07 05:01 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: DIYASUB]
tierhog Offline

Loc: NE PA
I find it funny to see so many people thinking mountain lions couldn't exist in PA. I am here in N.E. PA recently from CA. In CA mountain lions live within a mile of downtown Sacramento CA by the river. This is a heavily populated area with jogging trails with a city of 300,000 + people. No one sees them until one day someone is attacked. There were mountain lions found in Sacramento, tagged and moved east of the city into the foot hills of the sierra nevadas, then months later these cats have shown up on the peninsula west of San Fransisco. If any of you know the area, it's a great distance to travel over many large large interstates and freeways. I personally have seen a few lions while hunting in the mountains, and they can be very elusive and tracks are not always easily distinguished, but to think they can't are don't live in a state with such vast wilderness is a narrow minded. Large cats travel great distances for food and will move to where the food is. I've never seen as many deer in my whole life in the seven months i've been in PA. It's a natural thing for large cats to migrate to where the food is, and there is plenty of it in PA. Canada to NE PA isn't very far in terms of large cats.

#218763 - 06/03/07 08:12 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: tierhog]
koyhunter Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: ontario
We now have them in southern Ontario as per MNR...see this editorial link in Niagara newspaper
http://www.niagarathisweek.com/news/article/96809

#218764 - 06/04/07 08:37 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: koyhunter]
tonym Offline
Predator Master

Loc: south jersey
I posted earlier in this post and am amazed at the responses I have read. I didn't see it so it doesn't exist? A bull moose wondered through sussex ,NJ in the early 90s . It then swam the delaware river into pa and wondered around for weeks before heading back up to ny state. How many of you pa guys saw his tracks while you were in the woods? As Tier hog mentioned a lion is a very elusive animal that will travel great distances in its normal range. In nj the state police as well as the nj fish and game have positivly ided lion tracks in the last 5 years as well as multple police officers being eye witnesses to some of the sightings is proof enough for me. As far as there being a large amount it is doubtful.Fish and game in most states on the east coast have chalked up the sightings as escaped pets .Sorry I dont buy it because there just arent that many people with pet lions around. One of the sightings in jersey last year by the pa boarder was a police officer who saw a female with cubs in his driveway. A went on to explain that he did not beleive the calls that he had previosly gone out on from people claiming to see mountain lions And that after actually seeing one himself would take the calls more serious.To say they dont exist because you didnt happen to cross tracks with it is absurd .

#218765 - 07/10/07 03:08 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: tonym]
Cooker Offline

I spent my first forty years on a ranch along the NE UT/NW CO border. I've seen and or killed: deer, elk, moose, black bear, bobcats, bighorn, badger, and even saw a wolverine once but I've never seen a mountain lion. A lot of people tell me they are everywhere in these parts of Utah/Colorado but I doubt it, I think it's all BS. I was in PA once for a few hours, never saw one there either so I'm sure you guys are correct, there aren't any.

#218766 - 07/10/07 07:08 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: Cooker]
silencerS8 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Northeast PA
Quote:

How many of you pa guys saw his tracks while you were in the woods?

Yes, he hung just outside of town for a short spell.

#218767 - 07/19/07 08:25 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: silencerS8]
Jill Offline
Predator Master

Loc: kentucky
Here in Extreme Northern Kentucky our local newspaper had a front page story about a former teacher seeing Mt. lions around his farm. The first sighting was 7 years ago and then in May of this year his wife was tending her garden when she heard yelping and saw a Mt. lion chasing their dog across a pasture. Only stopping when she yelled repeatedly. I talked the teacher and he was very sure of what he'd seen, saying it was way bigger than his 75 pound yellow lab. When the lady watched the cat return to the woods she also saw another one standing in the tree line and they watched the dog retreating towards her before slipping away. This location is only about 3 miles from where I live as the crow flies. So yes I'm going try to call them and slip about looking as I can access the area from a friends neighboring farm. Probably won't get to see anything but you never know.
There's been a few reports of of Mt.lions in this area for years. One was sighted in Indiana along a cliff bluff a few years ago by a maintenance man in a State park. An old lady told me once of seeing a "lion" when she walked out a gravel lane one morning to get her mail and her beagles where baying at something over the lane bank. She looked closer and it sprang into the road spat at the dogs and ran away. She didn't even know what to call it besides a big long brownish gray lion. This sighting was in the 70's. And very close to where the man reporting the last ones lives. At least I can have hopes of running into one and maybe at the least get a coyote called up, if nothing else.

#218768 - 07/23/07 04:02 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: Jill]
Jill Offline
Predator Master

13. KY kitten. In June, 1997, a man driving a pickup truck hit and killed an eight pound spotted female cougar kitten on Highway 850 in western Floyd County, KY. He said he also noticed a larger and a smaller shape, most likely the kitten's mother and sibling, because the kitten was still too young to be out on her own. The driver took the body to the Kentucky Department of Game & Fish, which froze it. When the kitten was analyzed, she was found to have all her claws intact, with no tattoos, tags, collars or other indication of captivity. DNA analysis indicated that the kitten's maternal ancestry included genes from South America, pointing to the pet trade (South American cougars are popular in the cougar pet trade), but paternal ancestry was shown to be North American.

This kitten is important for several reasons: she was a highway fatality, and biologists claim that if cougars were present in any numbers some would get hit by cars; she indicates that reproduction is going on in the wild; and she exemplifies the mixing of cougars from various origins that is probably occurring in the eastern woods. An April 20, 2001 letter from Steve Thomas, Wildlife biologist, KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife Resources to Chris Bolgiano, ECF vp, confirms the above information.
http://www.easterncougar.org/pages/beyondsightings.htm
This at least shows there are Mt. lions in Kentucky no matter how they got here.

Edited by Jill (07/23/07 04:05 PM)

#218769 - 08/03/07 10:01 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: Jill]
DylanD Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Susq. Co. Pennsylvania
heres a friend of my dads (SilencerS8) he took the pic in Susquehanna county

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/cga/lowres/cgan690l.jpg

and he even has a mamma and 2 kittens living in his back yard

http://www.livingbeing.com/imagespets/3cats1.jpg

lol

Edited by DylanD (08/03/07 10:04 AM)

#218770 - 10/14/07 07:46 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: DylanD]
coyote151 Offline

Loc: Monroe Co., PA
I have heard about mountain lion sightings all over PA and really wanted to see one, so, I started calling for them with electronic callers and mouth callers. Still have not seen one. I have been predator hunting for quite a few years now and have not even seen tracks from a mountain lion. Bobcat tracks cat be deceiving, especially in the snow. I'm not doubting anyone but if there is pictures out there, let's see them.

#218771 - 10/16/07 08:21 PM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: coyote151]
homebuilt Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: cato,ny
theres been claims to one being in camden NY(upper cny), been sighted by several people. DEC claims it must have been a bobcat. one ol'hunter said he's never seen a bobcat with a 3 foot long tail. slightly off topic, but this sounds like the black bear debate in central ny. they claim there are none, well untill a lady blasted one in her car a couple of day's ago in waterloo

#218772 - 10/26/07 12:09 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: fooge]
coyote_grimreaper Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: salem, oregon
You know I have lived in Oregon my whole life. I have never seen a live cougar in the wild. However, I know that the population is getting out of hand when I see tracks at a local state park 2 miles from town and tracks at my work which is 1/2 mile from the state park. Now before anyone says that is probably the same cat because they normally have large territories. the tracks are different size. So just because you dont see them, doesnt mean they are not there.

#218773 - 10/29/07 07:21 AM Re: Mountain Lions in PA? [Re: coyote_grimreaper]
Jill Offline
Predator Master

Fact is Mt. lions are becoming much more numerous. Another fact is they can and do travel hundreds of miles when seeking new territory. The link I provided shows a dead kitten confirmed in eastern Kentucky as well as confirmed tracks in West Virgina. So yes there is without a doubt a few Mt. Lions living in the eastern USA. The proof is there.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.