Hunting Hogs

Ohio supposedly has them. Look at the odnr page for a map of areas with hogs. They are very few and far between from what i understand though. We have sooooo many hunters here with tiny properties it would be hard for them to establish like they do in the south.

I know for a fact there are some in Wayne county, wv as I have killed them there myself!

Look up Zaleski state forest. A feller I work with claims he shoots at least 15 a year in there. Also, by the looks of the hog map on ONDR, they may be up into Tar Hollow state forest.

we definitely have them... ive seen quite a few killed around my house. i live in gallia county. the amish kill quite a few each winter too. a few guys killed 13 out of about 40 this year in extended deer season on one drive on the riverbottoms so they are breeding fast with no end in sight. i seen my first one killed about 15 years ago on thanksgiving day. they have been here alot longer then people think!!!

gallia, vinton, jackson have them for sure.

Is the season year round? Guess I will have to find out if its private or public land in the area. I grew up in Point Pleasant so I am a little familiar with the area.

There is no season, no limits and rules are only those of standard fare.

Night watchman is e first person I have heard tell of a fair number of them in Ohio.

I have hunted them at a friends place in texas. Their ability to make a mess is unreal.

Kill them all.

My parents and grandparents always talked of them in the woods around here(hour East of Cincinnati); though I've not sighted one myself yet. I remember dad always carrying his sidearm into the woods with us even 25+ years ago. When I would inquire why, he always said "wild pigs."

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioOhio supposedly has them. Look at the odnr page for a map of areas with hogs. They are very few and far between from what i understand though. We have sooooo many hunters here with tiny properties it would be hard for them to establish like they do in the south.

I know for a fact there are some in Wayne county, wv as I have killed them there myself!

Where in Wayne Co? Is there a difference in Wild Boar and Wild hogs as far as WV rules and regs?

Originally Posted By: nightwatchmanwe definitely have them... ive seen quite a few killed around my house. i live in gallia county. the amish kill quite a few each winter too. a few guys killed 13 out of about 40 this year in extended deer season on one drive on the riverbottoms so they are breeding fast with no end in sight. i seen my first one killed about 15 years ago on thanksgiving day. they have been here alot longer then people think!!!

gallia, vinton, jackson have them for sure.

Would the Rodney or Patriot area be a good place to start. I know there use to be some Amish out that way. Any public land to Hunt in those areas?

john, im working on the map for you still.. im alittle slow with baseball season getting started.. sorry for the delay..

first time i seen a group of pigs in ohio i had just had shoulder surgery about 4 years ago and it was in patriot and i was on state route 141 just off 325.. i was headed to physical therapy and glanced over not 40 yards off the road and seen about 13-15 little ones eating out of a calf feeder right next to the road.. i backed up and watched them for a second and couldnt believe it. there were 3-4 guys working tobacco right across the road but they were down in the field and couldnt see these pigs. after talking to a few local guys i guess a few amish snuck in there after seeing them and killed a few of them from the road and a guy video taped them doing it lol..

very first pig i seen killed in ohio was over 15years ago in mercerville,ohio just off 218 close to the river. a friend of mine called me on thanksgiving and told me to meet him at his dads and when i got over there his dad has about a 150lb boar laying on a haywagon he had killed trying to get in with his fair pigs.. it has good tusks and stunk something awful. so they have been here for along time and from what im seeing are getting worse, not better.

two years ago in deer season we seen a field that was totally rooted up and destroyed. i thought for sure that a large group of pigs had done it and was excited to hunt in that patch of woods. after telling our local game warden what i had seen he went on to tell me that ONE good size boar could root up up to 10 acres of ground in one night if he wanted to... now whether or not thats true i dont know but if it is then dang!!!! i dont want them anywhere around my farm after seeing what that field looked like.

oh yeah, tons of public land around patriot.. the majority of the pigs though are being killed around st rt 141/ 233 area. our farm in cadmus has had a few venture over that way. my wifes uncle killed a 230# sow a few years ago on a neighbors farm. its big country around patriot, cadmus so theres plenty of woods to hide in for sure.

Back