Savage Lightweight Hunter Review-Amazing Accuracy

jackjacker

I just picked up this Savage Lightweight hunter from Bud's Gun Shop. I topped it with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 with BDC. This rifle weighs 5.5 Pounds!!! Feels like a toy. It has a light taper 20 inch barrel. I knew it would be FAIRLY accurate and wanted a nice light rifle for hunting in mountainous terrain.

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

I took it out basically to break in the barrel and sight in the scope. I was shooting Hornady Superformance 165g GMX in .308 (factory load). When I finally sighted in this the 3 shot group I got. You can only see 2 but I assure you there are three shots. The accutrigger was nice and crisp. The action was a little rough but I know is will get smoother with break in like the other savages I own.

IMG_1360.jpg

Next I set a 9 inch gong out at 300 yards. I didn't bring my chrono to confirm velocity but I used the Nikon Spot On program to decide how much to hold. This is my four shot group. I would like to think that flyer is a shot I made prior to a final adjustment but can't confirm that.

IMG_1361.jpg

This suggests to me that the velocity drop on this 20 inch barrel is negligible. I have a Savage Precision Carbine in the same caliber and with this ammo it only drop 5 fps from the published velocity.

I have to say that I was floored by this rifle's accuracy. With a 5.5 pound rifle with a 20 inch barrel, shooting off of bags and not a bench, I would have been happy with 1 MOA or a just a bit over. I measured the group at 100 yds at .27 MOA. This rifle well exceeded my expectations. I think one would be hard pressed to find another rifle this light and this accurate for $729.

Mines in .260 and yep quite the little carry rifle. Sub moa isn't a problem at all. I was running 140gr amaxs but switched to the 129's, (i don't care about the pelts.)

After trying a few scopes on it i found that the bushnell trophy xlt doa 600 works just right for my .260/129gr combo. Just another great savage rifle.

Any paticular reason you have most of the steel covered up with another target??? Also, I would give that "sighted in group" a few more clicks left
scared.gif

The groups shown look really good... Too bad you had that 1/2 inch off "flyer" at 300 yards
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: coleridgeAny paticular reason you have most of the steel covered up with another target??? Also, I would give that "sighted in group" a few more clicks left
scared.gif

The groups shown look really good... Too bad you had that 1/2 inch off "flyer" at 300 yards
lol.gif

LOL!! All good points!!! I didn't have a ruler so I used a target I had lying around. I use OnTarget to measure groups and you need a reference.

I misspoke a bit. the "sighted group" was one where I was relatively happy with the elevation (sighting in for 200 yards) but I didnt want to let the barrel get too hot so I shot three at that adjustment. Turns out the barrel didn't get hot at all - Possibly cuz I was cleaning between shots. Can't wait to take this rifle out to the rifle silhouette range.

That is a slick gun to be shooting groups like that and not lacking any accuracy.

Are you talking about the metal silhouette range at Butterfield? Or one in El Paso?

I think I saw you were signed up at the PM hunt, but i didn't manage to meet you.

I'm sending a PM your way.

El Paso. Although, I like the Butterfield LD range quite a bit as well.

I was looking forward to the PM hunt but had a Barbary Sheep hunt come up. I thought I might make it back for the banquet and raffle Saturday but didn't. I did get to hunt Thursday morning with Doubleplay. Great guy, I learned a lot from him.

Nice. That LRH seems like one heck of a nice carry gun for guys like me who have a hard time sitting for more than two hours at a time.
smile.gif

You'd love it, MO1. I just read in the new American Rifleman that is received the Golden Bullseye Award for rifle of the year.

I think I might get another one in .223 to replace my current predator rig.

5.5 POUNDS!!!!!!! And it's really pretty, too.

I gotcha...
wink.gif

I havn't got to play with one of these yet. I am very interested in the 223 also as ultra light calling rifle. Wouldn't be too hard to have a 6.5# ready rifle if the right scope was added.

Nice!

I saw one of these at the outdoor show in Feb here in town. It felt very good and I was wondering how it would shoot with that lightweight barrel. I already own two savages looks like I may have to add another now.....maybe have to finally get that quarter bore.

Well just looked at Savage's website and they don't offer it in a 25.

DAGGUM!

Last edited:
Man I know what you mean. I just bought that rifle this summer in a 7mm08 and topped it with a light weight Leupod weighing in at 8 oz making my rifle 6lbs.
I shot great groups at a hundred yards also. You could cover a three shot group with a nickle. I have killed two deer with one shot each. I was shooting the Hornady 139gr hpbt and they were great. I hope you enjoy your rifle as much as I am mine.

Last edited:
Back